Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CableHell Status

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

CableHell Status
Closed Thread

Old 17-03-2009, 01:02   #1
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
CableHell Status

I'm not trying to cause anything here but

Doesn't anyone know why cablehell.co.uk has gone offline?

AFAIK there wasn't any announcement

Just a shame to lose a place for VM customers to get help
Old 17-03-2009, 01:04   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: CableHell Gone?

I just noticed that as well.

---------- Post added at 00:04 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

Quote:
CableHell is no more, thanks to everyone for the help over the years!

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 17-03-2009, 01:07   #3
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/sho...Number=3596511
Old 17-03-2009, 01:09   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Fair enough.

Just a little warning would have been nice
Old 17-03-2009, 01:11   #5
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age

i expect it was one of those "i cant cope with the headache days"
Old 17-03-2009, 01:15   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Not to try and disrespect anyone, that is all fine and good - but its hardly a nice way to treat those that had gone there for help.

At least putting a 'We shall be closing in 10 days' or some such would have allowed a tidy end

Hopefully if Cableforum ever decided to shut up shop it will be with a little more warning!

---------- Post added at 00:15 ---------- Previous post was at 00:14 ----------

I don't think I shall be visiting thinkbroadband either - their forum is very difficult use
Old 17-03-2009, 01:17   #7
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Wonder why they didnt link to here ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 17-03-2009, 01:19   #8
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I don't think I shall be visiting thinkbroadband either - their forum is very difficult use
I don't think I will be either, very strange to read after the continuity we're used to here.
Old 17-03-2009, 01:22   #9
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Wonder why they didnt link to here ?
would have seemed a better choice i had them next to this on my bookmarks
Old 17-03-2009, 01:25   #10
homealone

Quote:
Not to try and disrespect anyone, that is all fine and good - but its hardly a nice way to treat those that had gone there for help.

At least putting a 'We shall be closing in 10 days' or some such would have allowed a tidy end

Hopefully if Cableforum ever decided to shut up shop it will be with a little more warning!
To be fair, Ben, why would they want anything other than a clean break? - in general the people running the various forums concerned with media services owe their members nothing - so while I share your hope for how CF would 'do it', if Mick, Frank, PaulM, Russ decided to pull that plug, I wouldn't blame them if a sudden but ultimately peaceful strategy wasn't considered ...

Old 17-03-2009, 01:28   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

That's the thing though - at least from my point of view.

If you set up a website to help people out, then you don't do it for your own sanity

Closing it down without warning just seems to go against the mindset of setting it up in the first place.

As I said, I'm not judging what has happened or why - I just know if I ran a forum I would wind it up in such as way that everyone was aware and all outstanding threads were resolved as best they could
Old 17-03-2009, 01:42   #12
homealone

Quote:
That's the thing though - at least from my point of view.

If you set up a website to help people out, then you don't do it for your own sanity

Closing it down without warning just seems to go against the mindset of setting it up in the first place.

As I said, I'm not judging what has happened or why - I just know if I ran a forum I would wind it up in such as way that everyone was aware and all outstanding threads were resolved as best they could
Realistically neither site was initially setup to 'help' - that was (thankfully) how they developed over time.

- don't get me wrong, Ben, I am sad to see Cablehell go

Old 17-03-2009, 06:58   #13
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Speaking as Crash Override from Cablehell I can honestly say that the closure was as much a shock to us as to the rest of you. This was not something that we planned or wanted but was a decision taken by the site owner. I am currently attempting to contact the owner and open negotiations to take over the running of the site and reopen it. In the meantime I have started a mass email to all the cablehell members informing them of the closure, which, at the moment we don't know if it will be permanent, but we hope not, and providing them with an email address to contact regarding the closure. That email address is crash.projectlazarus at gmail dot com

If the worst happens and the closure is permanent, then I would like to take this opportunity on behalf of the team at cablehell.co.uk formerly ntlhell.co.uk both past and present and thank our members for 7 wonderful years on a site that even the admins here would have to admit, would be hard to beat.

Yes this is hard for me to post, as it was unexpected, but it needs to be said. I cannot let 7 years of my life pass without thanking those who helped make it what it was. We had evolved quite a lot from those early days, and we were still planning a future. Watch this space though, we may not be done yet.

Crash.
Old 17-03-2009, 08:21   #14
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I hope that you will keep us informed of any progress you make in setting up the site again...
Old 17-03-2009, 08:34   #15
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Of course.

I found out later than some as I am currently in the US but am doing everything I can think of to resolve the situation. This site will be the first to know if we are able to bring things back online in one form or another. I can only apologise again to our members and reiterate that we had no more warning about this than you guys did. I was a member on ntlhell as it was since approx feb 2002, moderator not long after, and admin not long after that. It's hard to come to terms with really, as the team here knows, the members and team become an extended family (with a few people that are like the strange family member that appears at parties but no-one really wants to talk about), It's not an easy situation, but now you know as much as we do.
Closed Thread