Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1 high beep one low beep on boot-up

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Wierd XP dialler problem

Old 14-02-2004, 19:08   #1
semitone
Inactive

semitone is an unknown quantity at this point
Wierd XP dialler problem

I've got a really weird dialler problem with XP. If I launch Internet Explorer I get a message saying 'No connection to the internet is currently available'. I can manually connect and then everything works. If I type a web address into Explorer (not Internet Explorer) the dialler pops up automatically as normal.

The problem only affects one account on the machine - the others all work normally, even newly created ones.

I have checked all the obvious things e.g. making sure that the connection is configured to dial the default connection. I suspect something has got screwed up in the registry but I can't find the problem.

Any ideas?
semitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2004, 22:20   #2
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wierd XP dialler problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by semitone
I've got a really weird dialler problem with XP. If I launch Internet Explorer I get a message saying 'No connection to the internet is currently available'. I can manually connect and then everything works. If I type a web address into Explorer (not Internet Explorer) the dialler pops up automatically as normal.

The problem only affects one account on the machine - the others all work normally, even newly created ones.

I have checked all the obvious things e.g. making sure that the connection is configured to dial the default connection. I suspect something has got screwed up in the registry but I can't find the problem.

Any ideas?
Is the account with the problem set as default ??
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 23:42   #3
semitone
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
Is the account with the problem set as default ??

Yes it is. I have tried setting an alternative ISP as the default and the result is the same. I just tried removing all the accounts and setting them up from scratch, but it still made no difference.
Old 14-02-2004, 23:45   #4
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yes it is. I have tried setting an alternative ISP as the default and the result is the same. I just tried removing all the accounts and setting them up from scratch, but it still made no difference.
Try changing the home page -- If the page that you have set as the home page has xpragma-nocache set then this may be the problem
Old 15-02-2004, 01:08   #5
semitone
Inactive

Quote:
Try changing the home page -- If the page that you have set as the home page has xpragma-nocache set then this may be the problem
That wasn't the answer either. I have found a solution for the moment. I deleted the user that was giving problems, recreated it and now evrything is working again. The problem is that I have no idea what caused the problem so I supspect it might come back again.
Old 15-02-2004, 11:33   #6
semitone
Inactive

Angry Re: Wierd XP dialler problem

Quote:
That wasn't the answer either. I have found a solution for the moment. I deleted the user that was giving problems, recreated it and now evrything is working again. The problem is that I have no idea what caused the problem so I supspect it might come back again.
The problem has come back this morning. All I did was boot up and try to log on, I changed nothing. This is frustrating
Old 15-02-2004, 11:52   #7
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The problem has come back this morning. All I did was boot up and try to log on, I changed nothing. This is frustrating
Strange ....Did you log on using the same account ??
Old 15-02-2004, 16:04   #8
semitone
Inactive

Quote:
Strange ....Did you log on using the same account ??
Yes everything was the same. Luckily I had only just installed XP again after upgrading the computer so there was not too much on it. I have just reinstalled again and I will try to identify what caused the problem as I put the software back on.
Old 16-02-2004, 18:34   #9
semitone
Inactive

Re: Wierd XP dialler problem - Resolved

Quote:
Yes everything was the same. Luckily I had only just installed XP again after upgrading the computer so there was not too much on it. I have just reinstalled again and I will try to identify what caused the problem as I put the software back on.
I finally found the cause of the problem . It was caused by the Google Toolbar. I had installed it with the advanced options turned on and for some reason after about 20 minutes of being online it would stop working and then block everything - I only wanted it to stop the popups . The solution was to reinstall the toolbar but with only the standard options.