Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Praise for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Praise for Sky

Old 31-08-2014, 11:53   #1
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Praise for Sky

Hey all,

So I've just got off the phone to Sky, as my box is on it's way out, so because we have Sky Protect, the repairs are free, but what impressed me even more is that they are booked to come out this Wednesday between 12-5pm, when usually it would take an engineer two weeks to visit
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-08-2014, 15:10   #2
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads
Re: Praise for Sky

On the few occasions I have needed a technician in my12+ years with ntl/VM they have usually come the next day and always within 3 days, and at no charge.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 15:15   #3
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you paying extra for an extended warranty on your equipment?
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 15:44   #4
Scary
Inactive

Services: Size XL 120mg BB Tivo box v+ box
Scary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of society

yes he will be, dont forget to see if you can get any discounts off you package. try sky.com, mysky, upgrades and offers, failing that if you dont have any discounts ring up and ask for the retentions team and see what deals they can do.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 15:53   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Don't get it.

Praise for something they should be doing anyway and you have to pay for it.

Hmmmm
Old 31-08-2014, 16:08   #6
rhyds
Inactive

rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Having seen the standard of work on the sky install at my house (for a previous occupant) I'd not trust them to change the channels on my telly, let alone fix anything.

Apparently the proper way to run coax across the front of a house is to lay it inside the guttering...
Old 31-08-2014, 16:09   #7
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

My point was previously it took them two weeks to come out to fix a fault. This time it will only be a couple of days and rhyds we are outside the 12 month term, so sky protect seemed the right way to go
Old 31-08-2014, 16:12   #8
rhyds
Inactive

For £80 a year on top of a sub I'd expect next business day service!

You do realise a Sky+ HD box can be had (with 12 month warranty) for under £40 on a well known auction site?
Old 31-08-2014, 16:33   #9
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Yes I am aware of that, but who does the warranty lie with as Sky manufacture the Amstrad boxes now
Old 31-08-2014, 16:49   #10
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

So actually it's praise for Domestic and General Services Ltd, given Sky Protect is nothing to do with Sky beyond that they allow their name to be used and 'endorse' the insurance.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 16:56   #11
rhyds
Inactive

I assume it would lie with the supplier of the box.

Of course, I doubt sky would want to lose a customer's subscription over a faulty box (dishes, LNBs and cables usually fail through bad installation or physical damage) so a quick call to their retentions dept would sort it. Especially as the original 12 month warranty on the box would see out your initial contract term.

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
So actually it's praise for Domestic and General Services Ltd, given Sky Protect is nothing to do with Sky beyond that they allow their name to be used and 'endorse' the insurance.
Indeed. Its the old style Currys/Dixons/Comet extended guarantee rubbish renamed. What's the betting the most common forms of box failure aren't covered?
Old 31-08-2014, 17:18   #12
Scary
Inactive

Scary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of society

i work for sky retentions and we cant send a box free of charge unless its either an digi box or a old sky+, the other way is if you have multiroom you can get a 2tb box for £49 plus £15 delivery
Old 31-08-2014, 17:26   #13
rhyds
Inactive

Seriously? That's put another nail in the sky coffin for me.

Do you get many people calling up with failed boxes?
Old 31-08-2014, 17:50   #14
Scary
Inactive

not really as we look at other things we can do to ofset the charge like discounts that are available for them, its quite a good job better than vodafone.
Old 31-08-2014, 21:41   #15
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
Yes I am aware of that, but who does the warranty lie with as Sky manufacture the Amstrad boxes now
I didnt think Sky used Amstrad boxes anymore.

My parents moved a few months ago and had sky fitted and they used a Samsung Box.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote