Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC iPlayer now on Freesat\Humax

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

BBC iPlayer now on Freesat\Humax

Old 27-12-2009, 22:08   #1
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
BBC iPlayer now on Freesat\Humax

Connect your Humax freesat HD box to your router via ethernet, go to 101 (BBC1), press red button key in the following number 5483 press OK and iPlayer should start loading, works great on mine The quality on "high" is about as good as SD on a non HD channel.

Enjoy
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-12-2009, 00:20   #2
Flyboy
Inactive

Flyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful one
Re: BBC iPlayer now on Freesat\Humax

Well I'll stick to quality that is better than SD on my V+ box, thanks.
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 00:27   #3
alferret
cf.mega poster

alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Well I'll stick to quality that is better than SD on my V+ box, thanks.
But its free, you know that bit where you pay errr nothing

Lots of us freesat users have been waiting for iPlayer t go live, even if it still beta, very watchable and I dont need to pay a subscription to VM for a V+ box
Old 28-12-2009, 01:37   #4
Flyboy
Inactive

Flyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful one

But do you get ITV Player and 4OD as well? I much prefer the whole package. If I wanted a free service, I would just access iPlayer on the internet.
Old 28-12-2009, 10:33   #5
alferret
cf.mega poster

ITV player will be coming to freesat in the next year, 4od there is a possibility within 18 months.

iPlayer on my media centre isnt as good a quaility as it is on the Humax probably due to explorer\firefox using a diferent version of flash although I assume both streams are from the same encoding.

Anyway the original post was allowing others who were possibly waiting for this to happen to have the information they require to use the iPlayer function on their Humax box not get into a discussion about the why's & wherefore's of paying extra money for a subscription that wouldnt be used in my house anyway.

Your obviously happy with your service that you pay for & I'm happy to not pay & get my services for free
Old 28-12-2009, 12:24   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
But do you get ITV Player and 4OD as well? I much prefer the whole package. If I wanted a free service, I would just access iPlayer on the internet.
That's not really a fair comparison, as pull-VOD via Freesat is in its infancy. Accessing iPlayer via a PIN on Humax boxes is essentially the BBC's Beta trial of the service. ITV player and 4OD will appear as VOD services via Freesat eventually; the platform was deliberately designed and specced to ensure it could happen. With Project Canvas now also green-lit, it's likely that within the next 2 years the VOD offering via Freesat will be considerably wider even than that provided by the UK's main PSB channels.

A fairer comparison of Freesat and VM would be one based on reliability, whole-life cost (because VM charges a subscription, but on the other hand Humax boxes aren't free and don't get replaced for free when they break) and, yes, breadth of viewing choice. That's not a comparison that will be easy to make for a good few months yet though.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 12:35   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Remember though unlike V+ you do need a seperate internet connection to get BBCiP

It's really good though as it's a major step foward in a form of IPTV that's free even though you need the connection and it's only on demand
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 14:04   #8
Flyboy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Remember though unlike V+ you do need a seperate internet connection to get BBCiP

It's really good though as it's a major step foward in a form of IPTV that's free even though you need the connection and it's only on demand
Except of course that extra BB connection.
Old 28-12-2009, 14:09   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

??? I didn't say it was free yet, said it was a major step forward that you seem to have missed highlighting
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote