Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Inside aerial for freeview?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Inside aerial for freeview?

Old 10-12-2008, 21:39   #1
aliferste
cf.mega poster

aliferste has reached the bronze age
aliferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to aliferste
Inside aerial for freeview?

Hiya,

Was wondering about getting a wee freeview box for a spare telly - only problem is I do not have an aerial on the roof. Any ideas if I would be able to get away with one of those inside aerials?
Old 10-12-2008, 22:13   #2
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Inside aerial for freeview?

I would say it depends on the signal strength in your area. I'm on a hilltop with a fairly strong signal and I have a couple of bedroom TVs running off indoor aerials at about 50% signal strength. That works OK most of the time.

YMMV of course..
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:30   #3
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

This is the one I use, it gives a 87% signal strength sitting on the windowsill at a 90% angle to the transmitter.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46229
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:29   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliferste View Post
Hiya,

Was wondering about getting a wee freeview box for a spare telly - only problem is I do not have an aerial on the roof. Any ideas if I would be able to get away with one of those inside aerials?
Put your postcode in here and it will tell you the signal strengths coming off your local transmitter and the kind of aerial you need.

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?DX=L&OS

TBH I doubt an indoor aerial will work in your location, you should be receiving from Black Hill, which is a main transmitter but its transmission power on digital is relatively modest. It might be possible after switchover when DTV signal strengths will be increased.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 15:09   #5
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Put your postcode in here and it will tell you the signal strengths coming off your local transmitter and the kind of aerial you need.

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?DX=L&OS

TBH I doubt an indoor aerial will work in your location, you should be receiving from Black Hill, which is a main transmitter but it's transmission power on digital is relatively modest. It might be possible after switchover when DTV signal strengths will be increased.

Get a One For All Indoor Amplified Freeview/DAB Aerial from Argos.

open carefully if it dont work take it back!!

I have two of them one sitting on a "beer Cooler" & the other on the TV.
One being upstairs ( about 15 foot from the window ) the other downstairs in the kitchen but close to a window. That one has a splitter on the cable with "feeds" my main TV (that also has Virgin+ on that one) & a Wii plugged in.

Not sure about signal strength here. Was told years ago, That if I got a snowy signal for channel 4 ( being in Wales we only got S4C in those days) from my roof top. Then a boosted in-door would work. Its that one ( yes one is that old) That picks up Free view upstairs.

Give it ago the worst that could happen is a second trip to Argos. Ok perhaps its not worth it!!!
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 13:28   #6
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

i bought a powered indoor ariel for my bedroom , waste of money only picks up a couple of channels on the free view box , gona put ariel in the loft . not indoor type a real roof type .
Old 12-12-2008, 16:16   #7
lauzjp
Inactive

Services: 5mb 3 mobile broadband, sky, freeview
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to lauzjp

we've got an alledgedly amplified aerial, but it's quite rubbish... it's a miracle we're getting sky sports news and dave at the moment! we're going to upgrade to a one for all one at about £20, having read that it has twice the strength of the one we currently have.
lauzjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 13:40   #8
CrowmanUK
Inactive

CrowmanUK has a spectacular aura about themCrowmanUK has a spectacular aura about themCrowmanUK has a spectacular aura about themCrowmanUK has a spectacular aura about them

If you can run a cable to the loft an outdoor digital aerial works fine, just look at the other houses to see where theyre pointing, worked a treat for me.
CrowmanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 22:46   #9
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

As others have said it completely depends on how strong the signal is where you live.

Where I live can't get a watchable analogue signal using an indoor aerial, and absolutely no freeview signal.
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote