Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Apple iPad Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Apple iPad Thread

Old 27-01-2010, 21:31   #31
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future
re: The Apple iPad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiSilence View Post
Haha
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-01-2010, 21:50   #32
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
'A fool and his money are soon parted.'

'All that glisters is not gold'

And the person who spends less money on each item WILL have MORE toys because he hath the spare money to do so.
But remember the immortal words.......

"Oooooooh - shiny!"
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 22:34   #33
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

The price isn't too bad. Considering the expectations before hand. To make a comparison, the equivalent Kindle (same size screen) is only $10 cheaper than the entry level model iPad (16 gig, no 3g). However you can also surf the web, watch video, play games and music. The colour screen will trounce the Kindle when it comes to some textbooks and newspapers. Considering this is Apple, I am impressed at the price.

The comparison to netbooks is also not apt IMO. The iPad could be better at a lot of the issues netbooks work on. Netbooks are mostly designed to surf the web and the web surfing on this device seems like it will be wonderful, the screen looks perfect for it. Anyone who uses a iPhone will know how well it works and how it's main limitation is the size of the screen. It will also be a ebook reader with a heavy focus on more glossy publications not served by any device so far all that well, namely newspapers and magazines. I also think there will be a heavy focus on games. This isn't a netbook or a laptop. It's a media device thing.

I can see taking this on holiday when I just need e-mail/internet/video. (The email client looks lovely too).

The main drawback against networks is the lack of physical keyboard, we'll have to see how that works.

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Video: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...irst-hands-on/
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 23:11   #34
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

My mum wants one, and I do have to admit they look nice. ITV News was reporting this on the 10PM program, and the impression from Apple was that it would retail between £300 - £500. Not bad
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 00:01   #35
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

It still sounds like a lot of money for a product that will only be used for a couple of days every month.
Old 28-01-2010, 00:03   #36
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callumpy View Post
It looks just like an iPhone, fail
Well more of the iPod Touch as it can't make calls
Old 28-01-2010, 09:27   #37
Bluffdemon
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Phone and 50Mb BB , Tivo \m/
Bluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the rough

its a waste of time product , nothing new and nothing to get excited about
Bluffdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 11:11   #38
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
it would retail between £300 - £500. Not bad
ARE YOU MAD? Its a complete Rip-Off!! (And that comes from an iPhone & MacBook Pro owner!)

I wouldn't purchase this 9.7" iPod Touch as thats all it is, and - I'd rather watch movies on my TV and listen to music on my iPhone, which also makes calls as well as browses the web just as well
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 11:16   #39
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

When I heard the name on the radio I thought they were launching a women's sanitary product
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 11:32   #40
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
When I heard the name on the radio I thought they were launching a women's sanitary product
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
It still sounds like a lot of money for a product that will only be used for a couple of days every month.
Old 28-01-2010, 11:43   #41
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The price isn't too bad. Considering the expectations before hand. To make a comparison, the equivalent Kindle (same size screen) is only $10 cheaper than the entry level model iPad (16 gig, no 3g). However you can also surf the web, watch video, play games and music. The colour screen will trounce the Kindle when it comes to some textbooks and newspapers. Considering this is Apple, I am impressed at the price.

The comparison to netbooks is also not apt IMO. The iPad could be better at a lot of the issues netbooks work on. Netbooks are mostly designed to surf the web and the web surfing on this device seems like it will be wonderful, the screen looks perfect for it. Anyone who uses a iPhone will know how well it works and how it's main limitation is the size of the screen. It will also be a ebook reader with a heavy focus on more glossy publications not served by any device so far all that well, namely newspapers and magazines. I also think there will be a heavy focus on games. This isn't a netbook or a laptop. It's a media device thing.

I can see taking this on holiday when I just need e-mail/internet/video. (The email client looks lovely too).

The main drawback against networks is the lack of physical keyboard, we'll have to see how that works.

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Video: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...irst-hands-on/

As long as you don't want to look a website that has flash or look at a video thats not encoded the way apple insist. Thats the biggest deal breaker for me. If Apple were more flexable in the codecs you could use then I snap one up. I mean come, on how popular does avi / mkv have to get.

The only good thing is the epub as long as it allows ebooks that have not been bought through itunes.

JJ
jamiefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 11:47   #42
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
ARE YOU MAD? Its a complete Rip-Off!! (And that comes from an iPhone & MacBook Pro owner!)

I wouldn't purchase this 9.7" iPod Touch as thats all it is, and - I'd rather watch movies on my TV and listen to music on my iPhone, which also makes calls as well as browses the web just as well
Well not just as well as the screen obviously makes it easier to scroll through websites and see more of any video.

Depending on the price conversion I'll be tempted, from all I've seen its not a killer device to do anything but does enough things well enough to justify buying one.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 12:23   #43
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/167d70800c/the-ipad
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 12:39   #44
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
Classic!
Old 28-01-2010, 12:43   #45
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

LOL, funny mate, just about true though, nothing to get excited about imho.
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote