Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 0845 numbers?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Nuisance Phone Calls

Old 29-03-2010, 18:05   #1
dbateman2k5
cf.addict

Services: BB: 500 Mbps, Phone: Talk Anytime, TV: MaxIt
dbateman2k5 is on a distinguished roaddbateman2k5 is on a distinguished road
Nuisance Phone Calls

Hi

This has been occurring now for a few months now and always about the same thing.

Phone rings, I answer. Indian speaking person asks to speak to <name>, and I say speaking. They then says that they have received information that my pc is running slow and they can help fix it.

I ask how they got my details, they say from Microsoft. I told them that this is untrue as Microsoft doesn't have my details. They then said that the details they have were what I entered when I registered my Windows pc when I first got the pc. I then again say this is untrue as Microsoft's activation procedure doesn't ask for any of my details and only records my IP address and that I have activated Windows.

I then ask that my details are removed from the system and that they stop contacting me with their scam.

Then I get the same again within a few days.

Have spoken to VM and they asked for the phone number of the nuisance call, and I said that 1471 said the number was with-held/not known. VM said they can be of no further help.

I don't wish to change my number as it's an easy number to remember and I have had the number ever since I have had cable and don't want the hassle of having to change my number with friends, family, bank, etc.

By the way, I am ex-directory, registered with TPS, and I am not listed on the edited version of the electoral roll.

Any suggestions on what to do or how to stop these nuisance calls.
dbateman2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2010, 18:13   #2
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Nuisance Phone Calls

If anyone can come up with a solution I would also be grateful. I've been getting the same calls for the last couple of weeks and am getting a tad browned off. 1471 shows number with held the same as Dave and all the callers seem to have an Indian accent and be called Tracy or Daniel etc.
Old 29-03-2010, 18:18   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It's a scam, and it probably originates offshore. There probably is more that VM could do if pressed - you could involve the police, for example, if you suspected a crime. VM would have to dance to their tune then.

However all I would do is simply decline the call at the point they claim to have 'received information' and wish to offer a 'fix'. IMO that sounds like a sales or marketing call, and I don't take those even if they're legitimate. If a withheld number calls our line after about 6.30pm we don't normally answer it at all.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 18:38   #4
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Definitely a scam, but they have an inbuilt sense of when I have just sat down to eat. Wish I could just ignore a 'withheld number call' but our son frequently phones from Hotels and premises that don't show the phone number so we have no choice but to see who is ringing us.

Being a little bored I had some fun yesterday by asking the guy if he knew my friend who is working in Mumbai and then just kept talking over his attempts to get me back on track about what my friend was doing and how he was coming back to the UK next week for a holiday and was he sure he didn't know him 'cause he works for a well known Charity based over there, and ... well you get the drift.

All I could hear was him spluttering in the background then the cheeky blighter put the phone down on me!
Old 29-03-2010, 19:03   #5
Spectato
Inactive

Services: || (XL) Broadband || (XL) Nuisance Call Hotline ||
Spectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to behold

I don't know if this is predominantly a Virgin Media issue, but we've been inundated by nuisance calls since they talked us into having a phone line (which we didn't really want in the first place).
Right from day one there's been a variety of nuisance calls, usually from so called 'finance related' companies.
The TPS and complaints to OFFCOM appear to be futile unfortunately, and of course the numbers keep changing and new ones are always cropping up.
Uggghh!!

Anyway.
One of the most useful sites out there, when you can get a number is: http://whocallsme.com

Generally if you type the full number into Google, you'll at least be able to identify the creeps involved, and see the all other poor blighters in the same boat!
It's almost always UK-based (****) companies employing Indian call centres to carpet bomb us with crooked telesales marketing.
No one seems to care except the poor sods getting the calls.
Spectato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 19:07   #6
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Try these sites:

http://www.optoutuk.com/

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...tentcalls.html

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...ntedcalls.html

Hope these help ?

If you have got the number that has called you can check it at :

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/output/default.aspx
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 19:07   #7
joglynne
Born again teenager.

OK if you get a phone number, not much help if you can't get either the phone number or the name of the company they represent.

... and we are registered with the TPS and every other opt out service but they doesn't stop overseas call centres.
Old 29-03-2010, 19:12   #8
Spectato
Inactive

Services: || (XL) Broadband || (XL) Nuisance Call Hotline ||
Spectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I know it's pretty useless.
But you take comfort where you can.
It's a very frustrating problem.
Spectato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 19:14   #9
joglynne
Born again teenager.

That's why I have decided to wind them up as a form of retaliation.
Old 29-03-2010, 19:14   #10
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Have just seen this page:

http://www.optoutuk.com/legal.asp?screen_id=how
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 19:18   #11
dbateman2k5
cf.addict

Services: BB: 500 Mbps, Phone: Talk Anytime, TV: MaxIt
dbateman2k5 is on a distinguished roaddbateman2k5 is on a distinguished road

I know this may sound silly but I'll say it anyway as it's the only thing I can think of as to how my number and details have been given out.

When I sometimes call VM and get through to an offshore person, all my details appear on their screen after I have given them my account or telephone number.

Sound silly, but given that this type of call only occurs in the few days/weeks following having spoken to an offshore person and that the person sounds Indian, makes me feel that offshore are selling or passing out my details.
dbateman2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 19:28   #12
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Yep, I've read that page, our main problem is that we don't want to block all 'number withheld calls' as our son often calls from offices and hotels whilst he is working away from home. I just wish there was an indicator as to whether a call was from the UK or from abroad.

We are hardly plagued by this type of call, in fact until this latest scam it must have been months since we had any. So the TPS have been very effective until now.
Old 29-03-2010, 20:01   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Yep, I've read that page, our main problem is that we don't want to block all 'number withheld calls' as our son often calls from offices and hotels whilst he is working away from home. I just wish there was an indicator as to whether a call was from the UK or from abroad.

We are hardly plagued by this type of call, in fact until this latest scam it must have been months since we had any. So the TPS have been very effective until now.
You could always opt for the tactic my mum used to employ back in the days when all the phones belonged to the GPO and they made you pay through the nose for them. If she was meeting someone in town, for example, she or they would call and make the phone ring once or twice so the other person would know they were on their way. It saved a connection charge and a unit of call cost for the sake of 10 seconds' conversation.

Tell your son you've been having problems and you're going to stop accepting calls from withheld numbers - unless you get a brief tinkle on the phone first, just to let you know that when it rings again, it will be him.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 20:12   #14
joglynne
Born again teenager.

That could work Chris. How would I know that it was a with held number though? We don't have caller display in our area yet.
Old 29-03-2010, 20:18   #15
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
That could work Chris. How would I know that it was a with held number though? We don't have caller display in our area yet.
Try this TrueCall - The Nuisance Call Blocker
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote