Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | what will I be getting?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Wired and wireless connection.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:13   #1
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all
Wired and wireless connection.

Hi.
Have had to purchase a new desktop due to the unfortunate demise of my last one (six years, can't really complain I suppose!). My new one appears to have a wireless networking card in it, which my old one didn't. I am also connected directly to the Superhub with an ethernet cable so at the moment have both a wired and wireless connection running at the same time. Is this a problem at all and might it reduce the wireless speeds to others in the house who only have a wireless connection?
Basically, would I be better off disabling the wireless connection or leave well alone as all appears to be working correctly?
Any advice gratefully received.
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2012, 11:23   #2
Fawkes
Inactive

Services: VM: 120M Broadband, TV + Landline
Fawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wired and wireless connection.

I you are happy using a wired connection for your desktop I'd stick with that. Wired connections offer greater bandwidth and reliable.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:39   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Disconnect wireless, there's no need to disable it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:42   #4
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
I you are happy using a wired connection for your desktop I'd stick with that. Wired connections offer greater bandwidth and reliable.
Thanks, have disabled the wireless connection and just running off the wired now, so far so good!

---------- Post added at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Disconnect wireless, there's no need to disable it.
Sorry, don't quite understand, how do I disconnect it without disabling it?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:46   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Ideally, don't connect it to begin with. But the sounds of things suggests you already have, so click the Disconnect button in the networks list, then delete the wireless network or tell it not to connect automatically.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:54   #6
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Ideally, don't connect it to begin with. But the sounds of things suggests you already have, so click the Disconnect button in the networks list, then delete the wireless network or tell it not to connect automatically.
Thanks very much, will do.