Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Apple iPad Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

The Apple iPad Thread

Old 27-01-2010, 20:26   #16
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age
re: The Apple iPad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDutch View Post
it does look sweet but have to see what the $ price is and what the £ or € is going to be for this device.

for the basic 1 with Wifi and 3g $629.... quite steep if your asking me.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/l...reation-event/
Chances are it'll be upwards of £400. I think they might just turn the $ into a £ though.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-01-2010, 20:42   #17
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

But,but I can get a netbook for around £200.
Old 27-01-2010, 21:00   #18
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

No camera and no Multi Tasking still. Makes it just a big iPod Touch with a few new features.

Not worth the money at all.
Old 27-01-2010, 21:02   #19
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

I got distracted by his hideous jeans. And hideous top. And hideous trainers.

So the most important feature, the one thing he wanted to emphasize over everything else? You can change the wallpaper!
cookie_365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 21:40   #20
CycoSymz
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview HD
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_365 View Post
I got distracted by his hideous jeans. And hideous top. And hideous trainers.

So the most important feature, the one thing he wanted to emphasize over everything else? You can change the wallpaper!
But only one thats been approved by Apple

I've got 2 GCSE's. 1 in Biology and 1 in Metalwork...If you want your cat welding then I'm your man.
CycoSymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 21:40   #21
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
But,but I can get a netbook for around £200.
But apple don't need to release a netbook, they've got a £600 MacBook 13"

IF it had a keyboard as well as the touchscreen and the screen swivelled a-la-usual tablet laptops then it would be far more useful (running OSX obviously ) as it would be useful for graphics/drawing apps and I could do away with my WACOM tablet
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 21:54   #22
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post

IF it had a keyboard as well as the touchscreen and the screen swivelled a-la-usual tablet laptops then it would be far more useful (running OSX obviously ) as it would be useful for graphics/drawing apps and I could do away with my WACOM tablet
You still won't be able to draw as well as you can on paper.
Old 27-01-2010, 22:00   #23
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I'm sorry but I don't see what the fuss is about?

My Samsung NC10 looks like it has a better spec.
Old 27-01-2010, 22:04   #24
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
But for that £600 you could buy a £200 NetBook *and* make a decent desktop PC!
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 22:14   #25
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiSilence View Post
But for that £600 you could buy a £200 NetBook *and* make a decent desktop PC!
and the netbook will have 160 GB HD plus 1GB of memory...64GB at $800 is a bit steep.

How do they do it? how do they convince people that a product that any other company tried to sell would be laughed at but because it's Apple it's something they simply MUST have?

Must be the high prices.Don't get me wrong I like nice designs but I'm not stupid enough to pay way over the odds because it looks nice.

Probably why I drive a KIA.
Old 27-01-2010, 22:17   #26
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

It looks just like an iPhone, fail
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 22:17   #27
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

But, but, but.......

He who dies with the most toys, wins!
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 22:24   #28
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

'A fool and his money are soon parted.'

'All that glisters is not gold'

And the person who spends less money on each item WILL have MORE toys because he hath the spare money to do so.
Old 27-01-2010, 22:25   #29
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

I'd like a tablet pc of some sort

multitouch , good conectivity, play HD video, odd office like app. etc

Not sure this will do it for me don't fancy conveting all videos from divx / vob etc

Guess I'll have to carry on waiting

Apple do a very nice interface and user experiance but I'm not sure that this will justify the additional cost

JJ
jamiefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 22:30   #30
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callumpy View Post
It looks just like an iPhone, fail
http://twitpic.com/101q3y
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote