Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 14-04-2015, 12:56   #1576
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
What else can you expect from a companies who for many years kept mostly all the sports channels to itself until Ofcom intervened and in the last few years has increasingly signed exclusive much have content whether it be the deal with HBO which is mainly on its exclusive Sky Atlantic channel through to its exclusive ITV Encore deal and its huge boxed sets content which it has now and the only way you can see it generally is through their own platform unless you get Now TV and the quality of that is a lot to be desired.
Tbf VM are just as bad they have kept their network to themselves and why not? They built it they should be able to keep it to themselves, same as Sky they've built the channels so they should be able to keep them.

Edit- anyone leaving Sky or VM etc if they wish to move into the online streaming, on demand method of tv i will be more than willing to help in any way i can if you need it.
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2015, 12:58   #1577
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Write to your politician then instead of banging on about it here every day.
Forums are here for people to voice their views and opinions MM whether some people agree with them or not.

Surely you of all people know politicians don't listen to people.
Old 14-04-2015, 13:34   #1578
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Tbf VM are just as bad they have kept their network to themselves and why not?
Pretty sure you'll find other providers use VM's network for backhaul capacity.

However I agree that unfortunately Sky have invested heavily in the content and therefore hold all the cards

This strategy doesn't seem to be having any adverse impact on turnover as people keep paying year on year. When people stop paying for the premium content Sky will invest in something else and retain the rights to that..whatever it may be. Until then they know the content they have is in high demand and therefore has a price, which they are free to set.

In the meantime they have played a blinder with NowTV. A few years ago Sky were making no money from me, the cost of movies on VM was too much and I gave up my sports subs. Now I am paying them for movies every few months and throw then £15 each year Game of Thrones starts.
Old 14-04-2015, 13:47   #1579
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Tbf VM are just as bad they have kept their network to themselves and why not? They built it they should be able to keep it to themselves, same as Sky they've built the channels so they should be able to keep them.

Edit- anyone leaving Sky or VM etc if they wish to move into the online streaming, on demand method of tv i will be more than willing to help in any way i can if you need it.
Are we comparing eggs with eggs here?

To the best of my knowledge, the cable companies have never deliberately kept any channels to themselves on an exclusive basis. We have only had a few minor channels that were on cable only, but don't forget that Sky were very short of transponder space at one point - so why would they have even wanted to air 'Wire TV' or the like?
Old 14-04-2015, 14:15   #1580
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
sadly as an individual there's very little I can do to change things.

It may not be very significant, but highlighting the greed of shareholders, in media companies that choose restrictive (in terms of viewership reach) exclusive deals with single companies as against wider distribution, can't do any harm and can have an on-going influence. Using the maximising of shareholder profit as an excuse, doesn't help the cause at all.

Sadly, it is illegal downloading that will have the most influence on these companies and make them change, as was the case with the music industry.
Old 14-04-2015, 14:42   #1581
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Are we comparing eggs with eggs here?

To the best of my knowledge, the cable companies have never deliberately kept any channels to themselves on an exclusive basis. We have only had a few minor channels that were on cable only, but don't forget that Sky were very short of transponder space at one point - so why would they have even wanted to air 'Wire TV' or the like?
I don't believe i said VM were keeping channels, i said they kept their network to themselves but someone pointed out that others were using vms network for back up, so now i'm wearing my n hat
Old 14-04-2015, 14:56   #1582
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I don't believe i said VM were keeping channels, i said they kept their network to themselves but someone pointed out that others were using vms network for back up, so now i'm wearing my n hat
One of the others using VM's network for back haul, would be Sky
Old 14-04-2015, 16:20   #1583
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
Pretty sure you'll find other providers use VM's network for backhaul capacity.

However I agree that unfortunately Sky have invested heavily in the content and therefore hold all the cards

This strategy doesn't seem to be having any adverse impact on turnover as people keep paying year on year. When people stop paying for the premium content Sky will invest in something else and retain the rights to that..whatever it may be. Until then they know the content they have is in high demand and therefore has a price, which they are free to set.

In the meantime they have played a blinder with NowTV. A few years ago Sky were making no money from me, the cost of movies on VM was too much and I gave up my sports subs. Now I am paying them for movies every few months and throw then £15 each year Game of Thrones starts.
Game of Thrones returns with record audience for Sky Atlantic

Link
Old 14-04-2015, 16:36   #1584
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Link
Wow!

Nearly as many as watched "The Nightmare Neighbour next door" on C5 on Wednesday or "The Clare Balding Show" on BBC2 on Friday.......
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 14-04-2015, 16:42   #1585
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Link
If it was available to many more platforms it would increase its audience quite considerably.
Old 14-04-2015, 17:01   #1586
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
It may not be very significant, but highlighting the greed of shareholders, in media companies that choose restrictive (in terms of viewership reach) exclusive deals with single companies as against wider distribution, can't do any harm and can have an on-going influence. Using the maximising of shareholder profit as an excuse, doesn't help the cause at all.

Sadly, it is illegal downloading that will have the most influence on these companies and make them change, as was the case with the music industry.
I wasn't disagreeing with you just mentioning these companies are hell bent on profits , it seems the consumer can sometimes be an after thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Wow!

Nearly as many as watched "The Nightmare Neighbour next door" on C5 on Wednesday or "The Clare Balding Show" on BBC2 on Friday.......
I'd say those represent pretty good viewing figures for a pay TV channel , it seems to of beat the rest which are available in far more homes , of course if it was available on multiple platforms that figure would be greater still.
Quote:
If it was available to many more platforms it would increase its audience quite considerably.
Agreed , maybe at some point that's what will happen , here's hoping.
Old 14-04-2015, 18:04   #1587
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Unless 5 episodes got leaked before being aired... oh wait
Old 15-04-2015, 00:00   #1588
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Not in my flat it wouldn't!
Old 15-04-2015, 09:01   #1589
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I wasn't disagreeing with you just mentioning these companies are hell bent on profits , it seems the consumer can sometimes be an after thought.

I'd say those represent pretty good viewing figures for a pay TV channel , it seems to of beat the rest which are available in far more homes , of course if it was available on multiple platforms that figure would be greater still.

Agreed , maybe at some point that's what will happen , here's hoping.
And if I was taller, richer, and handsomer, I would be tall, rich, and handsome - but I'm not, so I'm not....

Tricky using hypothetical situations re multiple platforms when it's 'exclusive to sky'

btw, I agree with you on the viewing figures, but AFAIK that scenario is not a valid one.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 15-04-2015, 10:53   #1590
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:

So i've just bought a Fire Tv (i was waiting for the price to drop), i understand i could sideload NowTV onto it but i need a mouse connected to set it up, do i also need a mouse for normal operation? i.e. all the time i want to use it?

Also how much faffing about is there to load XBMC onto it and do i need a mouse to use that as well?

TIA
Closed Thread