Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin TomTom

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Virgin TomTom

Old 27-12-2006, 20:46   #1
busterdan
Inactive

busterdan will become famous soon enoughbusterdan will become famous soon enoughbusterdan will become famous soon enough
Virgin TomTom

Apparently the official line on this from both Virgin and TomTom is that the networks are not compatible.

....In other words it is not possible to pair a Virgin mobile handset to a TomTom for the various extra traffic services.

In my case I have a Virgin Samsung D900 and the TT recognises the GPRS profile as T-Mobile but this is not correct and thereafter everthing stops working. According to TT they have asked repeatedly for Virgin to send them the necessary BPRS settings that they are using but so far no one has responded.

Sounds like an unlikely excuse to me but as it stands I still can't use my TT with Virgin.

Does anyone else have any experience of this problem.... alternatively if you were thinking of getting a TomTom satnav with the expectation of using it with Virgin then I suggest you do some homework first to ensure you are not disappointed.
busterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-12-2006, 21:14   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin TomTom

I started this thread here earlier today on a similar problem. In my case it looks like O2 pay and Go won't let you use TomTom traffic etc. It only works for pay monthly.
Old 28-12-2006, 00:05   #3
yesman

Touche

Well almost, mine is O2
Old 28-12-2006, 01:32   #4
busterdan
Inactive

busterdan will become famous soon enoughbusterdan will become famous soon enoughbusterdan will become famous soon enough

Thats interesting.... in my case the phone is found and pairing starts but it is just at the GPRS settings that it gets screwed up. I did attempt to add these manually but the Tom Tom still wasn't happy - personally I wish I had bought a Garmin now.
Old 28-12-2006, 01:45   #5
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterdan View Post
Thats interesting.... in my case the phone is found and pairing starts but it is just at the GPRS settings that it gets screwed up. I did attempt to add these manually but the Tom Tom still wasn't happy - personally I wish I had bought a Garmin now.

Garmin's are way behind the smoothness of tom tom units. At the time tom tom released the go Garmin where still chucking oujt a outdated plam based unit for ywice the price. Garmin make some excellent handheld gps but they did not jump to the new market of car navigation fast enough and lost the edge.

As for pairing I have a xda on o2 so it was automatic. Can't say I've seen it make any difference for being on though?
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 13:39   #6
busterdan
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
Garmin's are way behind the smoothness of tom tom units. At the time tom tom released the go Garmin where still chucking oujt a outdated plam based unit for ywice the price. Garmin make some excellent handheld gps but they did not jump to the new market of car navigation fast enough and lost the edge.

As for pairing I have a xda on o2 so it was automatic. Can't say I've seen it make any difference for being on though?
Competition is a good thing to keep the complacent on their toes!

I must admit I haven't looked into the Garmin units in detail but on the face of it you seem to get more for your money.

Another benefit is that I think the Garmins can be used with Google Earth - that would be useful for my work.

Incidently, I have the Tom Tom One... it is OK....does the job - I do feel like a slave to their map updates etc. now though... maybe the costs of these will decrease in time and with more users.