Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | connect v+ box to 2 tv's

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

connect v+ box to 2 tv's

Old 08-05-2012, 22:33   #1
cookie 73
Inactive

cookie 73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile connect v+ box to 2 tv's

Hi everyone, i would appreciate some advice from any of you, this is my first post so bear with me. I am trying to find the best way to connect my v+ hd box to a second tv in another room, I have it connected to a lcd tv just now and am trying to connect it to another lcd tv in the other room. Does anyone know the best way to do this, i know that the same programme will need to be on both tv's and that is fine. Any ideas would be welcome, thanks.
cookie 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2012, 11:17   #2
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: connect v+ box to 2 tv's

There are several methods you could use, either wired or wireless.

If you want to go down the wireless route, a video sender connected to the VCR scart is one method if you are happy to only get non HD content on the 2nd TV. If you do want HD, there are HD video senders on the market now, but they are expensive.

If you don't mind the wired route, the simplest connection is with an RF coax connection. If you have an SA V+ it has a modulator built in; if you have a Sammy V+ you will need an RF modulator connected to the VCR Scart on the V+. The output will be SD widescreen but with mono sound. If you do want HD you could buy an HDMI splitter and amp that will allow a decent run of cable to the second TV. Again, the HD option would be the more expensive of the two.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 22:01   #3
cookie 73
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
There are several methods you could use, either wired or wireless.

If you want to go down the wireless route, a video sender connected to the VCR scart is one method if you are happy to only get non HD content on the 2nd TV. If you do want HD, there are HD video senders on the market now, but they are expensive.

If you don't mind the wired route, the simplest connection is with an RF coax connection. If you have an SA V+ it has a modulator built in; if you have a Sammy V+ you will need an RF modulator connected to the VCR Scart on the V+. The output will be SD widescreen but with mono sound. If you do want HD you could buy an HDMI splitter and amp that will allow a decent run of cable to the second TV. Again, the HD option would be the more expensive of the two.
Hi nodrogd,

thanks for the suggestions, i will look into them, can i ask you what you mean by sa v+ and sammy v+, not sure what you mean? i have had a quote of £50 from virgin to install a
new box in the other room which would allow my daughter to watch different channels from me. Is this my best option as you say the other methods can be expensive. Thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 22:06   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

The TiVo offer where they let you keep your old box for free is the best option
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 23:09   #5
cookie 73
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
The TiVo offer where they let you keep your old box for free is the best option
thanks jb66

but i have already done this with the tivo in the lounge and the old box in my bedroom.
Old 09-05-2012, 23:16   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Who makes your v+ box? Samsung or sa?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 23:31   #7
cookie 73
Inactive

it is a samsung

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie 73 View Post
it is a samsung
i am thinking the best option is the hd amp splitter and long hd cable because i dont think i have a rf output on my box and video senders are too expensive, what does everyone think
Old 10-05-2012, 11:17   #8
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

To use the RF option you would need one of THESE connected to the VCR Scart on the V+ (Scart lead also required).

To use the HD option you would need something like THIS with associated HDMI leads of the required length.
Old 10-05-2012, 21:01   #9
cookie 73
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
To use the RF option you would need one of THESE connected to the VCR Scart on the V+ (Scart lead also required).

To use the HD option you would need something like THIS with associated HDMI leads of the required length.
Hi guys thanks for your help, I am going to go for the hd splitter option. Could any of you
direct me to the product that would allow me to change channels on the second tv
without going into the other room where the box is located. Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2012, 21:43   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Hi guys thanks for your help, I am going to go for the hd splitter option. Could any of you
direct me to the product that would allow me to change channels on the second tv
without going into the other room where the box is located. Thanks again.
Search Amazon for "IR sender".

(Other retailers are available!)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 18:14   #11
cookie 73
Inactive

hi guys a friend has now given me their old cisco virgin hd box , i thought that i would at least get the freeview channels for my girls room on this but no only getting the 5 main channels any ideas on this? and also now that i have this box is the previous products we discussed still the best way to go to connect to the 2 tvs or any other ideas. sorry to be a pain just want the best and cheapest way to go. thanks
Old 13-05-2012, 21:37   #12
TbGbe
Inactive

Services: Phone M, 10Mb, TV XL (V+)
TbGbe is on a distinguished roadTbGbe is on a distinguished road

The box you have been given is just a "door stop" it can't be used.
It's Virgin's property and should have been returned to them.
TbGbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 14:24   #13
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Quote:
hi guys a friend has now given me their old cisco virgin hd box , i thought that i would at least get the freeview channels for my girls room on this but no only getting the 5 main channels any ideas on this? and also now that i have this box is the previous products we discussed still the best way to go to connect to the 2 tvs or any other ideas. sorry to be a pain just want the best and cheapest way to go. thanks
Only boxes supplied directly to you by Virgin can be used. There are no "Freeview" channels on Virgin, it is a subscription service. Channels 1 to 5 are the only ones viewable if the box and viewing card are not linked to your account.