Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problem getting internet connection between VM Modem and Netgear WGR614V9

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Problem getting internet connection between VM Modem and Netgear WGR614V9

Old 30-12-2008, 14:04   #1
rinstiah
Inactive

rinstiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem getting internet connection between VM Modem and Netgear WGR614V9

Hi There,
Im having some problems with getting internet to work through my WGR614V router. If I connect the modem directly to the PC internet works fine. Its if I go via the router that it dosnt work.

With modem directly connected to PC Ethernet, internet works fine: (IPconfig /all dump
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0*-**-**-**-**-**-**
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe**:****:****:****9(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 80.1**.***.***(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 29 December 2008 21:51:18
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 05 Jan**.***.***
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.30.112.122
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.30.112.39
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

If I plug the modem into the WAN port of the router, and then the PCs ethernet into port 1 of the router, Internet will not work.

Internet IP Address
Get Dynamically From ISP 0.0.0.0

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
Get Automatically From ISP 0.0.0.0

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
Get Automatically From ISP 0.0.0.0

Gives orange 'i' light, with no internet connectivity. Can still connect to router. all dynamicly obtained IPs are 0.0.0.0 (if it is even obtaining anything...)

If I change my settings on the router to Use Static IP Address, with the values:
IP Address 80.***.***.***
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway IP Address 80.***.***.1
The 'i' light goes green. But I still have no access to the internet.

Why is the internet unavailable to the LAN, even though all the lights are green on the router (the 'i' light and the '1' light for port 1.)?

I have turned off modem and router for half an hour, turned on modem and waitied for it to become ready, Turned on Router, waited for it to become ready. PLugged in the modem into the WAN port of the Router. PLugged in the PCs ethernet into port 1 of the router. Still no IPs resolved when looking at the management console 192.168.1.1 (The options set back to obtian IP Automatically on router) and consequently no internet connection.

Same happens when I set the IP settings to static on the router and set them as above.

All the network settings on the PC network are set to obtain IP automatically too.

I've also tried spoofing the MAC of the PC on the router to no avail.

Im sure I can't be the only one having this sort of problem. Its never worked, straight out of the box. I did have my virgin cable set up before getting the router though. Its also a VM 'Branded' router (one they supply)...
I have been setting up computer networks for over 10 years and setting up home internet, dial up, adsl, cable setups for years.
I am stumped.
Help?
rinstiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-12-2008, 14:11   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Problem getting internet connection between VM Modem and Netgear WGR614V9

Welcome to the forum Rinstiah...

Hopefully someone can help but in the mean time for security reasons (i.e. hackers and cloned modems) I've removed both the identifying IP and MAC addresses from your post...
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 14:39   #3
rinstiah
Inactive

Thank you!

Yes- hopefully someone can help me out! Its driving me mad. Its bound to be something simple that I am missing...
Old 30-12-2008, 15:30   #4
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

This may help.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101209.asp
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 15:38   #5
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

If its never worked "straight out of the box" and you have some previous experience with networks then its time to return it and go for something that will work. Belkin or Linksys.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 15:46   #6
rinstiah
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
If its never worked "straight out of the box" and you have some previous experience with networks then its time to return it and go for something that will work. Belkin or Linksys.
I went with the one virgin supplied me. Is there any reason it shouldnt work? I mean, if I have a look at the packet info, it is transmitting and recieving packets from WAN and LAN. Its just not communicating between the two.
Im sure there must be some setting somewhere that lets the two talk.
Old 30-12-2008, 16:36   #7
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Turn off both modem and router and make urself a cuppa, come back and put the router on. Leave it a min and then put the modem on and try that.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 22:18   #8
CrowmanUK
Inactive

CrowmanUK has a spectacular aura about themCrowmanUK has a spectacular aura about themCrowmanUK has a spectacular aura about themCrowmanUK has a spectacular aura about them

Have you got the right network cable attached? If you've got a crossover cable in the mix somewhere you'll have problems.
If you use these settings on the router
Quote:
If I change my settings on the router to Use Static IP Address, with the values:
IP Address 80.***.***.***
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway IP Address 80.***.***.1
you'll have problems, the 80.xxxx number isnt a static ip, its the IP that VM give to your router when you connect, but you need to point it at the modem, which if my memory is working properly will be 192.168.0.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway should also be 192.168.0.1.
Your best bet might be to reset the router, should be a button somewhere on it that you have to hold in for a few seconds. Then try connecting with the settings as it came out of the box.
CrowmanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 23:39   #9
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer

What Welshchris said, but you don't really need the cuppa (unless you are thirsty.. If the modem is connected to you PC and you swap the cable over to your router it will not work. you need to reboot the modem, and sometimes the router, but not always.
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 01:03   #10
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris View Post
Turn off both modem and router and make urself a cuppa, come back and put the router on. Leave it a min and then put the modem on and try that.
Normally it's better to do it the other way around as the Router gets it's IP address from the Modem
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 10:26   #11
rinstiah
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Normally it's better to do it the other way around as the Router gets it's IP address from the Modem
YEah- thats what I thought, and I've already tried that. REbooted all the gear and started them in every conceiveable order.

sigh. I guess it might be a RTV.

But im still holding out hope for you guys to come up with something I havent thought of!
Old 31-12-2008, 10:43   #12
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

If the router is set to get the ip dynamically and when connected to the modem after a reboot of both still gets 0.0.0.0, try a pinhole reset, log in to the router and check again. If it's still the same I'd recommend calling in or using the newsgroups as it sounds then like a faulty router and as such would need replacing free of charge.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 12:38   #13
techyguy4
Inactive

techyguy4 is on a distinguished roadtechyguy4 is on a distinguished road

If the issue is with ip lease of the modem, then you can try following.
1.Open router config page. (192.168.1.1) or www.routerlogin.net/basicsetting.htm
2.username= virgin, Password= password
3.Scroll down and look for router mac address.Select the option "use computer mac address".
4.Power cycle modem and router in sequence.

I hope this helps....:-)
techyguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 12:42   #14
rinstiah
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by techyguy4 View Post
If the issue is with ip lease of the modem, then you can try following.
1.Open router config page. (192.168.1.1) or www.routerlogin.net/basicsetting.htm
2.username= virgin, Password= password
3.Scroll down and look for router mac address.Select the option "use computer mac address".
4.Power cycle modem and router in sequence.

I hope this helps....:-)
Thanks! But I have already tried this too. Spoofing the MAC seems to have no effect. I still get 0.0.0.0 no matter what MAC I use- routers, computers or a user defined one. I tried using the MACs of all the tunneling adapters listed in ipconfig to no avail too. So basically I've tried all applicable (and non applicable) MACs and still no joy!
Old 31-12-2008, 13:13   #15
techyguy4
Inactive

techyguy4 is on a distinguished roadtechyguy4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinstiah View Post
Thanks! But I have already tried this too. Spoofing the MAC seems to have no effect. I still get 0.0.0.0 no matter what MAC I use- routers, computers or a user defined one. I tried using the MACs of all the tunneling adapters listed in ipconfig to no avail too. So basically I've tried all applicable (and non applicable) MACs and still no joy!
You are welcome. If you are getting a 0.0.0.0 ip address on the router status page (Internet IP address), just make sure that the cable is connected on the right port.If it is then call tech support and ask for a replacement router.
techyguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote