Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 09:41   #1921
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Thousands of movies to be removed from Netflix by the end of September.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34110968

Don't forget that the Netflix-Disney deal starts next year.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/04/tech...etflix-disney/
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2015, 09:46   #1922
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Thanks for that PB.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:11   #1923
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

Is that just the US?
Old 01-09-2015, 10:46   #1924
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Everything seems to be saying it's the US & Canada only at present, but I guess we'll find out this month!
Old 01-09-2015, 10:59   #1925
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Is that just the US?
l could not say but one would not be surprised if it affects UK subscribers as well.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:03   #1926
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Do you subscribe to Amazon Prime and Now TV, OB?
Yes, I do, having become frustrated by Virgin's slow progress in resolving the Sky Atlantic and streaming services issues that I have referred to in the past.

I now have a smart Sony TV which gives me access to Amazon, and I have subscribed to the Amazon Prime Instant video service.

I also have a Roku streaming stick, allowing me access to Now TV with its Sky Atlantic and ITV Encore programming.

Now, of course, I am lacking access to AMC programming, and so the pressure to have more and more boxes and devices to access everything increases yet again. It really makes me mad!
Old 01-09-2015, 13:09   #1927
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, I do, having become frustrated by Virgin's slow progress in resolving the Sky Atlantic and streaming services issues that I have referred to in the past.

I now have a smart Sony TV which gives me access to Amazon, and I have subscribed to the Amazon Prime Instant video service.

I also have a Roku streaming stick, allowing me access to Now TV with its Sky Atlantic and ITV Encore programming.

Now, of course, I am lacking access to AMC programming, and so the pressure to have more and more boxes and devices to access everything increases yet again. It really makes me mad!

I think in reality, with the services you have now (which is useful to know BTW), there is only really Fear of the Walking Dead that is an issue, which will be on Prime next year anyway.

I think all the other shows are available via Prime or Netflix, though Rectify (and maybe a few other titles) will require the use of a service such as Unblockus.

Because Amazon already had the rights to a couple of good AMC shows (Turn and Halt and Catch Fire) before the BT deal (and will keep those rights), for people using streaming services, BT's AMC channel is pretty unimportant. But for BT, it is very good PR.
Old 01-09-2015, 13:44   #1928
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

A big loss imo but Disney kicks in next year.
Old 01-09-2015, 14:22   #1929
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's capitalism, far more choice but not under the same roof. The regulators kept things artificially back by not allowing BT to operate a TV service and poor broadband speeds prevented Netflix and Amazon from establishing themselves earlier. Now the cat's out of the bag and we're seeing content spread across many platforms.
Old 01-09-2015, 16:06   #1930
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Amazon to offer offline playback.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...-playback.html
Old 01-09-2015, 16:43   #1931
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
That's capitalism, far more choice but not under the same roof. The regulators kept things artificially back by not allowing BT to operate a TV service and poor broadband speeds prevented Netflix and Amazon from establishing themselves earlier. Now the cat's out of the bag and we're seeing content spread across many platforms.
And "content spread across platforms" means you have to subscribe to them all to get what you want to see adding to your viewing costs if you want to stay legal.

One worry I have with VM is their ability to provide access to all content. With Sky Atlantic and now BT with AMC, are there going to be other channels or routes to viewing content VM will be denied access to, as other providers want their own "competitive advantage" channels?
Old 01-09-2015, 16:48   #1932
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
And "content spread across platforms" means you have to subscribe to them all to get what you want to see adding to your viewing costs if you want to stay legal.

One worry I have with VM is their ability to provide access to all content. With Sky Atlantic and now BT with AMC, are there going to be other channels or routes to viewing content VM will be denied access to, as other providers want their own "competitive advantage" channels?
Spot on!
Old 01-09-2015, 16:53   #1933
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post

Correct, although there is nothing stopping VM (barring financial clout) from doing this themselves
Old 01-09-2015, 17:07   #1934
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute View Post
Correct, although there is nothing stopping VM (barring financial clout) from doing this themselves
Exactly I've said this many times , there is nothing at all stopping them.
Old 01-09-2015, 17:32   #1935
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute View Post
To be honest, it doesn't need Virgin to stump up more money at all.

They could simply pass on any charges for channels they didn't want to put in a package directly to those customers that wanted them and were prepared to pay. At least that would give us the choice and avoid the need for multiple devices.

It would also enable Virgin to claim that they offered the biggest selection of content than any other UK provider. That fits exactly with John Malone's stated vision for Liberty Global.

I wonder what's stopping him from doing this now?
Closed Thread