Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 09-11-2016, 20:25   #1111
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
It is obviously stipulated as one of the exclusives in ITV's contract with Sky which obviously includes the exclusivity of ITV Encore as we all know.
Did you miss my comment about ITV Catchup being 30 days on my connected TV so clearly thats not the case.

Both the connected ITV Hub app and Sky have 30 day catchup so the only differences are the ITV Catchup on Sky has HD and doesn't force you to watch ads.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2016, 21:15   #1112
dodgem22
cf.addict

Services: virgin tv phone and broadband giff gaff mobile
dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them

https://blogs.which.co.uk/technology...-media-tv-box/

just seen this page a few hints there of what the new box may feature. Although page is almost a year old it does mention the proposed new features.
dodgem22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 21:17   #1113
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlman View Post
I have had it with my Tivo now it is useless has a recording device. every time after 5 mins it stalls and pixelates its unwatchable. Have tried all the so called fixes but still the same.
That's far more likely to be a signal fault than anything wrong with the box. You'll need to report it to VM to get it fixed.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 21:22   #1114
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That's far more likely to be a signal fault than anything wrong with the box. You'll need to report it to VM to get it fixed.
I had this once, turned out a cat had chewed the wire leading to the box!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 22:02   #1115
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I'm really at a loss to understand why people want huge disks.

Even my elderly TiVo has a 1TB disk and, with only paltry MPEG2 encoding, it can store 120 hours of HD programs.

If, and I don't, have it full, when could I ever get round to watching all that material? Never and I'm retired and don't have to go to work 8 hours a day.

Why do people want to archive loads of material that they'll never, ever get round to watching?
Choice.

I only have the choice of watching something if its on my hard drives, I don't have that choice if I don't have large drives.

Netflix, Now TV etc are all good except when you want to watch a tv episode and find that that episode or even the entire season of a series has been removed.

Roll on laser drives and over the next decade 100TB drives.
Old 10-11-2016, 16:04   #1116
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

With Sky Q on demand - The new series of The Blacklist (Sky Living) is available in 4K UHD, is this the sort of content that will be exclusive to Sky?

I'm guessing it is, but would be great if VM managed secure a deal with Sky on content like this. The Blacklist is brilliant.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 16:42   #1117
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
With Sky Q on demand - The new series of The Blacklist (Sky Living) is available in 4K UHD, is this the sort of content that will be exclusive to Sky?

I'm guessing it is, but would be great if VM managed secure a deal with Sky on content like this. The Blacklist is brilliant.
Well it might be but when the v6 box launches, the better the v6 is, the less likely it will be that sky would give us access
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 17:34   #1118
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post

As I understand it, UHD is a red button service on Sky and will not be available on other platforms initially.

Virgin Media will have their own UHD content, some of which also may be exclusive.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 17:52   #1119
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
As I understand it, UHD is a red button service on Sky and will not be available on other platforms initially.

Virgin Media will have their own UHD content, some of which also may be exclusive.
For the Blacklist, this is accessed through the on-demand section rather than the red button. The 4K UHD version is only available after the show has aired on Sky Living. This is what made me think about whether VM would be able to agree something with Sky for on-demand content. (maybe they already have ;-) )

The red button is used for UHD live football and probably the F1 next year too.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 17:59   #1120
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

It's only red button for sport. And even then the sports appear in a special UHD section of the TV guide, so you can set the UHD shows to record too.

There are UHD movies, free with Sky Cinema and to buy through Sky Store, which are downloaded. They can be watched when 'enough' of a buffer has been downloaded. For me with 200Mb/s Virgin broadband this is after about 10 secs, typically. I have never experienced 'buffering' when watching content downloading from Sky - Virgin broadband does a great job! There are UHD Boxsets that work the same way.

There have been only very few new shows so far, where UHD is available simultaneously with first broadcast. Sky seem to be "busking" that a bit at the moment. For The Young Pope they are adding the UHD episodes to a box set just before the show airs, so people can choose to download the UHD version instead of watching on Sky Atlantic. The Blacklist seems to be done in a slightly different way. But Sky have said they intend a better way, which may mean the same red button style system or a special UHD Channel. We don't know yet. Rumour is maybe around the end of the year, but that's pure speculation!

Last edited by Jong1; 10-11-2016 at 18:05.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 18:06   #1121
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
When does your V6 get delivered, Richard?
Now been informed that it's likely to be about a week.

To help others, I asked if it would cost any more either in an upfront payment or ongoing weekly cost and when it will be released to other customers.

I was told that I wouldn't be charged anything extra at all* and that they hope to release it on 1 December 2016.

* I'm not sure if this is an extra concession for me or if nobody will be charged anything extra.

I will be put onto another one year contract starting from when I am satisfied that the V6 performs satisfactorily.

I'm not bothered about this as I will have a box that doesn't take ages to carry out commands and will be paying less than before the price rise.

Well done VM! I'm happy to congratulate them when they get things right.
Old 11-11-2016, 15:51   #1122
Andy C
cf.addict

Services: V6 Virgin 360, Volt Gig1 BB,
Andy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really nice

I've just had my box swapped out due to a faulty hard drive meaning all my recordings were unwatchable. The engineer said he had V6 boxes in the van but hadn't had a job yet. He echoed what's been said here that they're only going to select new customers as part of a pilot (unless you whine and moan it seems).

Slightly gutting when he had them yet I'm going to loose all my recordings yet again when I can get the V6 hopefully in a month or two.

-A.
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 16:12   #1123
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
I've just had my box swapped out due to a faulty hard drive meaning all my recordings were unwatchable. The engineer said he had V6 boxes in the van but hadn't had a job yet. He echoed what's been said here that they're only going to select new customers as part of a pilot (unless you whine and moan it seems).

Slightly gutting when he had them yet I'm going to loose all my recordings yet again when I can get the V6 hopefully in a month or two.

-A.
Commercially, that makes sense, given that new customers, receiving an old slow box could cancel. The slowness would cause an instant bad impression, and Tivo's features would be less obvious.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 16:32   #1124
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post

-A.
If you are happy to pay a price increase for an inferior box, that's your prerogative.

If you choose to do this, you shouldn't "whine" or "moan" about it on here, but do something about it as I did.

As the old saying goes "put up and shut up, or do something about it".

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 11-11-2016 at 17:13.
Old 11-11-2016, 16:36   #1125
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Commercially, that makes sense, given that new customers, receiving an old slow box could cancel. The slowness would cause an instant bad impression, and Tivo's features would be less obvious.
Agreed, also the demonstrations would take a long time as well so fewer installs in a day
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote