Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 19-06-2017, 15:12   #3136
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Anyone having intermittent remote control problems? No response to key presses on the box and the red light on the remote only sometimes works on key presses. Volume control is fine but this will be IR instead of radio.

I've got a new one on its way but just wondering if anyone has seen this and can confirm a new remote will fix it
I experienced something similar after I had been using the V6 remote to control my Samsung bedroom TV. I had been using it to turn the set on and off as well as change the volume. After a while the bluetooth stopped working and only the IR would work. I re-paired it via the settings menu and it's worked fine ever since. I now use the TV remote for the TV and the V6 remote just for the V6.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-06-2017, 16:16   #3137
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

You should re-pair the V6 and the remote. Instructions are at https://help.virginmedia.com/system/...rgin-TV-remote
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 14:06   #3138
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Thanks for the advice guys, I did try re-pairing it but thinking about it I'm not sure I did it properly. I'll try again but in the meantime I do have another on the way just in case.
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 16:17   #3139
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
but in the meantime I do have another on the way just in case.
You'd still need to pair a new one to the box
Old 20-06-2017, 19:24   #3140
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Thanks again Spiderplant.

I've tried pairing the old remote again, no joy. The red light sometimes went on with key presses, sometimes it didn't and sometimes it was dim. Conclusion is that the remote is definitely faulty.

New one arrived today, no need to pair as it worked on radio out the box. I haven't checked the VM community but I take it by your comment it is a common problem.
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 10:48   #3141
InfiniteBiscuit
cf.member

Services: Full house TV (two V6 boxes), VIVID 200, Talk Weekends.
InfiniteBiscuit is an unknown quantity at this point

I did a quick search to see if this had been mentioned before, but I couldn't see any reference to it.

I recently had two V6 boxes installed. I've changed the name on both so that when I'm looking at recordings, I know which is which. As you do.

However what I'm wondering is, does anyone know a way to change the casting name of the device? I've had a good scan through the settings but can't see anything obvious.

I've already got the Xbox/Android TV and Chromecast all named appropriately so I know where they are, but the V6 boxes are named something like, 30BE and 6JY1. I believe this is the latter part of the box registration or something.

It's something that shouldn't bother me, I know but it really grips my ****. Living room V6 and Bedroom V6 would give me a restful night's sleep.
InfiniteBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 10:57   #3142
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

First thing I'd suggest is to reboot your V6 boxes, if you've not already done so.

My renamed V6 box does show up with the correct name so it definitely does change.
Old 23-06-2017, 12:00   #3143
InfiniteBiscuit
cf.member

Services: Full house TV (two V6 boxes), VIVID 200, Talk Weekends.
InfiniteBiscuit is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
First thing I'd suggest is to reboot your V6 boxes, if you've not already done so.

My renamed V6 box does show up with the correct name so it definitely does change.
I'll give that a go tonight Ben. Christ knows why I didn't think of that! Must've been the excitement of a speedy box, and fear of breaking it.
InfiniteBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 01:19   #3144
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Services: Plusnet Fibre Broadband, Phone & TV
Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice

I've just finished setting up a home V6 install for my Mum & Dad. Initially, we had no catch-up or on-demand, and it seemed to be due to the V6 box losing internet connectivity when it was restarted. I was using the wi-fi connection from a Shub 2ac, with a fixed address, on the 5Ghz frequency. The box was reporting the signal strength as excellent (82%), but there was still no catch-up/on-demand.

In the end, I remembered that I had installed powerline adapters for my Mum & Dad's Smart TV in the past, so got them to connect that to the Tivo instead, whereupon catch-up/on-demand was restored.

So, I wonder if anyone can tell me if there's any bugs affecting the V6's wi-fi, or does it need to be setup in a particular way - maybe I had just set it up incorrectly?
Pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 06:54   #3145
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbryanw View Post
So, I wonder if anyone can tell me if there's any bugs affecting the V6's wi-fi, or does it need to be setup in a particular way - maybe I had just set it up incorrectly?
There was probably nothing wrong with it. On Demand often doesn't work until a few minutes after the installation looks like it has completed (it's actually still doing stuff in the background). If you switch back to WiFi you may well find it now works.
Old 27-06-2017, 10:55   #3146
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Hi Pbryanw,

My V6 works perfect over Wi-Fi. Even better when I switched to 5ghz, so my thoughts echo Spiderplant
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 11:12   #3147
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Hi Pbryanw,

My V6 works perfect over Wi-Fi. Even better when I switched to 5ghz, so my thoughts echo Spiderplant
Yes, I endorse all of that, although my V6 never worked on 2.4 - only 5ghz works for me, with no hitches whatsoever!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 11:28   #3148
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Just to add - if the Wi-Fi wasn't working, you wouldn't have managed to get it installed in the first place.
Old 27-06-2017, 19:12   #3149
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Services: Plusnet Fibre Broadband, Phone & TV
Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Just to add - if the Wi-Fi wasn't working, you wouldn't have managed to get it installed in the first place.
Yep, it was just a bit strange. With the wi-fi connection, we waited for about two days for catch-up/on-demand to come through, but unfortunately no luck. I tried the "Connect to Virgin Media Servers" setting, and restarting the TiVo a few times during that period, but again no luck - maybe I should have given the box time to settle down instead of messing about with it. Eventually, my parents phoned Virgin, who said the box had no internet connection, and they were going to send someone out to take a look at it (now cancelled).

So, from the sounds of it it was probably due to my (maybe cack-handed) installation, rather than any problem to do with the V6 box. Could the fact I carried out the installation of the box, before activating it over the phone, have anything to do with it? Anyway, the V6 is now fully functional with the powerline adapters. And it's great to to see how the TiVo interface is so snappy on the new box.

Thanks for everyone's replies - I may try to switch back to wi-fi in the future just to see if everything continues to work.

Last edited by Pbryanw; 27-06-2017 at 19:30.
Pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 22:04   #3150
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbryanw View Post
Could the fact I carried out the installation of the box, before activating it over the phone, have anything to do with it? Anyway, the V6 is now fully functional with the powerline adapters.
Yes, installing the box before phoning can cause issues.

That's why the number is on the outside of the box and there are lots of 'Phone first' warnings in the self install guide.