Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 02-08-2016, 03:11   #5431
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Okay, when plugging different devices in when in modem mode, you have to be careful how you do it or you won't get a valid external IP address. You absolutely definitely can't hot swap (i.e. unplug one device and plug another in while the modem is switched on) and even rebooting the modem doesn't always release the previous lease(s). The best way to get around this is to put the hub in modem mode, then power off the hub, unscrew the coax cable, then power the hub back on and wait a few mins (with the coax still removed). After about 2mins, screw the coax back in (With the hub still switched on) and give it another 2 or 3 mins. You should connect and get allocated an external IP. If it hasn't connected after 5mins, reboot once more.

There's a fair bit of ceremony to get that to work, but it's the only sure-fire way I know of to change devices when in modem mode.

You should be able to just disable DHCP on the Asus and stick it in the DMZ, more or less the same result as modem mode, just the superhub is allocating IP addresses (which means you can't assign DNS, IP's, etc. or anything easily). The VPN should work the same.

Note that your external IP address will be different when in router mode and whenever you plug a different device in when in modem mode.
I put the ASUS in DMZ using the IP allocated by the SHUB having disabled DHCP. I am assuming that I connect the ASUS using one of its LAN ports. It appears connected to the SHUB and is still dishing out WiFi. Unfortunately I cannot access the ASUS user interface, whether I connect through ASUS WAN or LAN.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2016, 12:33   #5432
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I put the ASUS in DMZ using the IP allocated by the SHUB having disabled DHCP. I am assuming that I connect the ASUS using one of its LAN ports. It appears connected to the SHUB and is still dishing out WiFi. Unfortunately I cannot access the ASUS user interface, whether I connect through ASUS WAN or LAN.
Ah yes, sorry I missed this part. The asus has an access IP of 192.168.1.1 but the SHUB is dishing out IP addresses on 192.168.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0, which is a fancy way of saying they can't "see" each other. Easy enough to fix though!

On your PC/laptop, go to your IP settings and temporarily set a static IP of something like 192.168.1.50 with a subnet of 255.255.0.0

You should be able to access the assus on 192.168.1.1 again (Possibly nothing else though). Log in and change its access IP to something like 192.168.0.200 (Basically you just want it far away from the DHCP lease range the superhub is dishing out, to avoid conflicts, but on the same subnet).

Once you've done that you'll probably lose access from your PC again. Just switch it's IP back to dynamic, give it a minute and you should be able to access the asus on the IP you've assigned it as well as everything else on your network.

Pay careful note of the 3rd octet in the steps above, the Asus is currently on .1 and you need your PC to be on .1 to be able to "see" it but you want everything to be on .0 as that is what the superhub is on.

Last edited by Kushan; 02-08-2016 at 12:41.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 19:19   #5433
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Ah yes, sorry I missed this part. The asus has an access IP of 192.168.1.1 but the SHUB is dishing out IP addresses on 192.168.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0, which is a fancy way of saying they can't "see" each other. Easy enough to fix though!

On your PC/laptop, go to your IP settings and temporarily set a static IP of something like 192.168.1.50 with a subnet of 255.255.0.0

You should be able to access the assus on 192.168.1.1 again (Possibly nothing else though). Log in and change its access IP to something like 192.168.0.200 (Basically you just want it far away from the DHCP lease range the superhub is dishing out, to avoid conflicts, but on the same subnet).

Once you've done that you'll probably lose access from your PC again. Just switch it's IP back to dynamic, give it a minute and you should be able to access the asus on the IP you've assigned it as well as everything else on your network.

Pay careful note of the 3rd octet in the steps above, the Asus is currently on .1 and you need your PC to be on .1 to be able to "see" it but you want everything to be on .0 as that is what the superhub is on.
OK. Thanks Kush. Nearly there. Just a couple of gaps to fill.

1. Should I have the ASUS connected to the Shub via the ASUS WAN or a LAN port?

2. I take it that the ASUS will switch of its DHCP function automatically. If not I assume I have to switch it off. (BTW I have factory restored the ASUS, so I guess I'll have to update the firmware whilst I am in there..

3. I want to restore my VPN as before, whilst knowing that the public IP will change. Do I need to anything to the SHUB to allow VPN through? e.g. DMZ the ASUS IP....... etc. Will the VPN user still use the same credentials, i.e. the public IP or wil lthey need to add the ASUS IP too?

4. The Shub is also not allowing through video streamed via KODI using FTP from Livedrive. I see nothing that helps with this in the advanced settings.

Last edited by roughbeast; 02-08-2016 at 19:31.
Old 02-08-2016, 21:28   #5434
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
OK. Thanks Kush. Nearly there. Just a couple of gaps to fill.

1. Should I have the ASUS connected to the Shub via the ASUS WAN or a LAN port?
WAN port.

Quote:
2. I take it that the ASUS will switch of its DHCP function automatically. If not I assume I have to switch it off. (BTW I have factory restored the ASUS, so I guess I'll have to update the firmware whilst I am in there..
It won't be automatic, you'll need to manually disable it - under Advanced Settings/WAN -> DHCP server. Disable it.

Quote:
3. I want to restore my VPN as before, whilst knowing that the public IP will change. Do I need to anything to the SHUB to allow VPN through? e.g. DMZ the ASUS IP....... etc. Will the VPN user still use the same credentials, i.e. the public IP or wil lthey need to add the ASUS IP too?
Having the Asus in the DMZ should be enough. Obviously your external IP will differ so they'll need to connect to that, but that's it - as long as everything else is the same, just the IP will be all they need.

Quote:
4. The Shub is also not allowing through video streamed via KODI using FTP from Livedrive. I see nothing that helps with this in the advanced settings.
I'll need more info on this, there's nothing the SHUB will be blocking by default, you might need to forward some ports if it's an internal device or something. Not sure what Livedrive is, so I'm a bit at a loss there.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:28   #5435
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Thank you Kush. That all looks really useful. I'm having a go this morning.

Livedrive is merely a cloud provider, a tad expensive but perfect for our streaming and storage needs for work stuff and my very large media collection. It allows viewing of films and listening to music through your browser, but most importantly streaming through media applications using ftp. Kodi / XMBC is my weapon of choice. It has not been working so well with SH3, not just because of dropouts, but because it just isn't as crisp as it was through SH2.
Old 03-08-2016, 23:38   #5436
Kushan

Ahh ok! I don't use cloud storage for my "media" so I'm afraid I'm not terribly familiar with what's going on with that. Just to check, you've not left any QoS settings on your router, have you?
Old 04-08-2016, 00:07   #5437
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Ahh ok! I don't use cloud storage for my "media" so I'm afraid I'm not terribly familiar with what's going on with that. Just to check, you've not left any QoS settings on your router, have you?
No I didn't.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:52   #5438
Kushan

Well, FTP is awkward, there are two modes to FTP, "Passive" and "Active" and they both work a bit differently and work on different ports. Passive (PASV) is better, it allows a lot more connections from the client, but also requires more ports open on the server. Active isn't as good, but usually requires the client to have ports directly forwarded for it to work. I reckon this is probably what's wrong.

We need to figure out why the FTP connection isn't working. Easiest thing to do is load up filezilla on your PC, try to connect to your live drive and either report back any errors you're seeing or measure how fast it's able to download a video file.

We can then use that as a benchmark against KODI. If it works on your PC but not KODI, we know it's just a configuration setting (either on KODI or the shub), if it doesn't then we can figure out from filezilla's logs what is going on.
Old 05-08-2016, 13:07   #5439
Kushan

So roughbeast, looks like your issue has made the news:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...3-routers.html
Old 05-08-2016, 21:37   #5440
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

"The bug, which was first spotted all the way back in March 2016 and still hasn’t been resolved nearly half a year later"

that just says it all doesn't it. I am glad I haven't got a shub 3. Considering shub3s are going to be the default cpe going forward with the way speed upgrades are going you would have thought that this would be priority numero uno to fix.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:16   #5441
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
So roughbeast, looks like your issue has made the news:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...3-routers.html
You're welcome

EDIT: That story helps you guys can help fund the beer I owe Mark.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:54   #5442
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Well, FTP is awkward, there are two modes to FTP, "Passive" and "Active" and they both work a bit differently and work on different ports. Passive (PASV) is better, it allows a lot more connections from the client, but also requires more ports open on the server. Active isn't as good, but usually requires the client to have ports directly forwarded for it to work. I reckon this is probably what's wrong.

We need to figure out why the FTP connection isn't working. Easiest thing to do is load up filezilla on your PC, try to connect to your live drive and either report back any errors you're seeing or measure how fast it's able to download a video file.

We can then use that as a benchmark against KODI. If it works on your PC but not KODI, we know it's just a configuration setting (either on KODI or the shub), if it doesn't then we can figure out from filezilla's logs what is going on.
I'll try that. Thanks.

meanwhile I have been on to Homeworks, tech guys and they have acknowledged my problem. They confirmed the Arris card element of the problem. The operator says he has boosted my power and changed my network route. The result seems to be pretty good. We haven't detected any drop outs for 2 days. This is not to say there haven't been any, just that our service appears unaffected. The re-routing came with an IP change; an IP that doesn't register on a BQM.

Out of frustration earlier that day I rang CS and asked that I try my old SH2 with 300Mb. The operative declined and said that is not possible, however she said that I could use the SH2 if I degraded to 200MB. I leapt at the chance and said, "Go ahead." She then said that I would have to wait 30 days!! I was ready to explode by now.

After expressions of frustrations and dismay the lady and her manager agreed. They dropped my package to 200Mb. They put me through to the technical dept who would help register my SH2. I explained to them why I had been sent, upon which they announced that this was not possible, not for technical reasons, but that because VM do not allow people to go from a SH3 to a SH3. I demanded a manager (almost in tears of anger by now) A manager rang me back.

She explained why I couldn't have an SH2 with 200Mb, and that I had to have a SH3. "VM is 'moving forward, not back," she explained. After a long heated conversation she agreed to put me back 300Mb immediately, very apologetic by now, having realised that CS had let me down big time and caused me unnecessary distress.

Following the restoration of 300Mb I was put through to the techie who boosted my channel power and rerouted me.

I am now approaching the ombudsmen regarding the original problem and the incompetence of some CS staff and of the training system. CS are not fit for purpose.

Last edited by roughbeast; 06-08-2016 at 02:59.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:06   #5443
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Kush. I figure that Livedrive FTP is the active variety. It uses Port 21. Using SH2 I never had to port-forward to get perfect streaming, even of Blue Ray film files as big as 30Gb.

With SH3 the largest files it will manage without slow buffering is 1.5Gb. I have forward the port to all house devices that use Kodi. I have also used an advanced config file within Kodi to allow it to use greater cache for buffering. I really believe it is the SH3 causing the problem even if my connection appears not to be dropping out.
Old 06-08-2016, 14:03   #5444
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
"The bug, which was first spotted all the way back in March 2016 and still hasn’t been resolved nearly half a year later"

that just says it all doesn't it. I am glad I haven't got a shub 3. Considering shub3s are going to be the default cpe going forward with the way speed upgrades are going you would have thought that this would be priority numero uno to fix.
But the strange thing is that is does not affect everyone.
I have the Hub 3 in Modem Mode and do not get the drop outs ?
Still, I agree this should be the No1. priority ....
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 19:30   #5445
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
But the strange thing is that is does not affect everyone.
I have the Hub 3 in Modem Mode and do not get the drop outs ?
Still, I agree this should be the No1. priority ....
Maybe it only affects certain ports?