Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Internet is down.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub 3 Wireless Mode, is blocking Netflix!

Old 07-05-2017, 10:41   #1
DreamRJ
cf.member

DreamRJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Superhub 3 Wireless Mode, is blocking Netflix!

Hi all,

So a strange issue i have encountered.

I have tested putting my superhub 3 in modem mode and the netflix website loads without any issue.

But when i put the router in wireless mode which i need to be in it for my v6 box because modem mode only allows 1 device connected to it via wire. That netflix doesnt work i get a error saying this in the image below.

So my question is why is this happening? is there some settings in the UI for the router that is somehow blocking certain sites from working? I haven't noticed any other sites as of yet that are getting blocked but i assume netflix wont be the only one.

Let me give more details: So the setup, PC connected via WIRE to the superhub 3, V6 TiVo connected via WIRE to superhub 3. Reason i have to be in wireless mode is so that the V6 gets a connection for the apps.

I also tried disabling the firewall via the router UI settings to no avail. Nothing makes any difference. I just find it strange that as soon as i switch my router to modem mode netflix site works without a problem?

Also one more note:

I also tried changing the MTU size too to no success. Nothing makes any difference other than switching to modem mode. And that is not ideal having to keep putting router in modem mode and back again every day.

This is my tracert results:

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert www.netflix.com

Tracing route to www.eu-west-1.prodaa.netflix.com [52.48.206.76]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 1 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 13 ms 17 ms 12 ms bagu-core-2a-xe-201-0.network.virginmedia.net [82.15.206.209]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 18 ms 17 ms 18 ms tcl5-ic-6-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.85.66]
8 21 ms 18 ms 21 ms m470-mp2.cvx3-a.ltn.dial.ntli.net [213.104.85.214]
9 49 ms 35 ms 45 ms 54.239.100.130
10 26 ms 28 ms 30 ms 54.239.100.137
11 30 ms 32 ms 28 ms 176.32.106.36
12 32 ms 48 ms 56 ms 52.93.7.210
13 35 ms 42 ms 33 ms 52.93.36.51
14 59 ms 32 ms 31 ms 52.93.36.50
15 33 ms 29 ms 35 ms 52.93.36.131
16 30 ms 27 ms 27 ms 178.236.1.189
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.
Any help or advice is welcomed

Thanks in advance

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 ----------

After an hour on the phone to faults team. they really can not understand why it is happening. Only reason they could give is a routing issue related to the IP range. And because IP addresses are dynamic, it is very very hard to get a new one and they can not force a new ip either.

So now they said i should get a hardwired ethernet switch and stay in modem mode, then just connect the v6 box and computer to the switch.
DreamRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2017, 07:45   #2
DreamRJ
cf.member

Re: Superhub 3 Wireless Mode, is blocking Netflix!

No one ?
Old 08-05-2017, 08:24   #3
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

So you use Websafe? settings?
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:42   #4
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRJ View Post
No one ?
Couple of questions, as it's not obvious from looking. Have you tried netflix on a variety of devices; tablet, PC, phone, etc?

Is it broken in all of those things, or just one specific one? Have you tried it another way?

What is your DNS set to on your PC?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:09   #5
DreamRJ
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
So you use Websafe? settings?
Disabled child safe, disabled virus safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Couple of questions, as it's not obvious from looking. Have you tried netflix on a variety of devices; tablet, PC, phone, etc?

Is it broken in all of those things, or just one specific one? Have you tried it another way?

What is your DNS set to on your PC?
I use a desktop PC.

I have troubleshooted everything. Netflix works on mobile 4g network. as soon as i used the wireless with mobile while the hub was in wireless mode netflix gave the network error.

Netflix works in modem mode no problem.

And I also tried using google DNS servers too. but currently i am using default ones. Like i said i am now in modem mode. And i will have to stay in modem mode until maybe my wireless router releases the IP attached to that mode and then retest it with a new IP via wireless mode. And if i still get the same error once i get a new IP in a few days I know then for sure it is not IP range issue. So then maybe for some reason Netflix have blocked the IP i was assigned by accident or on purpose based on an old user who had the ip in the past!!
Old 08-05-2017, 12:18   #6
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

There used to be a way to force a new IP lease on the old modems - I don't know if it'll work on the hubs as I've not had to do it, but give it a shot.

Follow to the letter:

1) Switch your Hub to hub/wireless mode
2) Make a note of your external IP (Just so we know if it has worked or not)
3) Power off the hub
4) Unscrew the coax from the hub
5) Power ON the hub (with coax removed)
6) Wait 2 minutes. Not one second less. You need your hub to go into ranging, as if there's a fault on the network and it constantly tries to reconnect. 2mins. Set a timer.
7) WITHOUT POWERING OFF THE HUB, screw the coax back in.
8) Wait until your hub is back on the network (this can take upwards of 10mins, but is usually faster). Resist the urge to reboot until you've given it at least 10mins. Your devices (PC, etc.) might not realise they've got internet access back until you reboot them as well. If at this point you can't get online, do a logical reboot (Shut everything down, boot hub, wait until light is good, boot PC, etc.)
9) Check your external IP - it should be different.
10) Profit? (check netflix)
Old 08-05-2017, 12:34   #7
DreamRJ
cf.member

Quote:
There used to be a way to force a new IP lease on the old modems - I don't know if it'll work on the hubs as I've not had to do it, but give it a shot.

Follow to the letter:

1) Switch your Hub to hub/wireless mode
2) Make a note of your external IP (Just so we know if it has worked or not)
3) Power off the hub
4) Unscrew the coax from the hub
5) Power ON the hub (with coax removed)
6) Wait 2 minutes. Not one second less. You need your hub to go into ranging, as if there's a fault on the network and it constantly tries to reconnect. 2mins. Set a timer.
7) WITHOUT POWERING OFF THE HUB, screw the coax back in.
8) Wait until your hub is back on the network (this can take upwards of 10mins, but is usually faster). Resist the urge to reboot until you've given it at least 10mins. Your devices (PC, etc.) might not realise they've got internet access back until you reboot them as well. If at this point you can't get online, do a logical reboot (Shut everything down, boot hub, wait until light is good, boot PC, etc.)
9) Check your external IP - it should be different.
10) Profit? (check netflix)
Just tried it, not made any difference. Netflix still doesnt work and got the same IP still in wireless mode after it.

Like i said only solution is for me to stay in modem mode. It just means I have to reboot hub and change to V6 every day for my V6 box usage
Old 08-05-2017, 12:48   #8
Kushan

Can you do a comparative tracert for both modem mode and hub mode?
Old 08-05-2017, 12:53   #9
DreamRJ
cf.member

Quote:
Can you do a comparative tracert for both modem mode and hub mode?
I did yesterday and posted the modem mode tracert in the thread on the virgin community forums

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5.../bd-p/Wireless
Old 08-05-2017, 13:05   #10
Kushan

I can't see your thread there, can you copy/paste it here?
Old 08-05-2017, 13:14   #11
DreamRJ
cf.member

Quote:
I can't see your thread there, can you copy/paste it here?
So this is the tracert in modem mode:

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert www.netflix.com

Tracing route to www.eu-west-1.prodaa.netflix.com [52.17.209.91]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 17 ms 13 ms 17 ms bagu-core-2a-xe-710-0.network.virginmedia.net [82.8.208.85]
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 21 ms 21 ms 20 ms tcl5-ic-6-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.85.66]
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 37 ms 45 ms 39 ms 54.239.100.50
9 31 ms 30 ms 32 ms 54.239.100.59
10 26 ms 30 ms 26 ms 176.32.106.34
11 43 ms 33 ms 30 ms 52.93.7.196
12 29 ms 26 ms 33 ms 52.93.36.53
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 29 ms 34 ms 28 ms 176.32.107.11
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:08   #12
Kushan

Okay, so that's not showing anything different. Very strange, I am pretty much out of ideas at this point.
Old 09-05-2017, 22:25   #13
karma mechanic
cf.member

karma mechanic will become famous soon enoughkarma mechanic will become famous soon enoughkarma mechanic will become famous soon enough

I've seen that error screen relating to the DNS settings. When connected to the SH3 directly is it using different DNS settings compared to the 'normal' connection via WiFi? That might be down to the view of the Internet that Windows sees.

I wonder if the message is because the Netflix server thinks you are trying to overcome a geo-blocking rule. Did you ever do this in the past via a smart DNS service?

One other thing to consider is to delete any Netflix cookies and flush the browser cache. Try different browsers.
karma mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:16   #14
DreamRJ
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma mechanic View Post
I've seen that error screen relating to the DNS settings. When connected to the SH3 directly is it using different DNS settings compared to the 'normal' connection via WiFi? That might be down to the view of the Internet that Windows sees.

I wonder if the message is because the Netflix server thinks you are trying to overcome a geo-blocking rule. Did you ever do this in the past via a smart DNS service?

One other thing to consider is to delete any Netflix cookies and flush the browser cache. Try different browsers.
I already tried everything, Different browsers and different DNS, it made no difference I feel i am repeating myself
Old 10-05-2017, 11:39   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I used to be able to force an IP change by unplugging the SH2 overnight, have you tried doing that?