Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 17:38   #1936
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

The trouble is that all these Premium cable networks are US based. And in the US,They are just starting to release streaming versions of their channels that are not tied into a cable provider subscription; an option that customers have been requesting for a very long time.

The last thing we want to see happen in the UK, is for the reverse to happen, and these Premium channels getting tied into specific UK TV providers.

At least Sky, with HBO content, have provided streaming access, limited as it is with regard to back season availability.

I doubt that BT will do the same with AMC anytime soon (if ever). We don't want VM doing the same with, say Starz or Showtime.

Premium Network channels being tied to UK providers, with no online streaming option, is a bad idea and sets back the progress that has been made in regards to cord cutting.
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2015, 17:54   #1937
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
The trouble is that all these Premium cable networks are US based. And in the US,They are just starting to release streaming versions of their channels that are not tied into a cable provider subscription; an option that customers have been requesting for a very long time.

The last thing we want to see happen in the UK, is for the reverse to happen, and these Premium channels getting tied into specific UK TV providers.

At least Sky, with HBO content, have provided streaming access, limited as it is with regard to back season availability.

I doubt that BT will do the same with AMC anytime soon (if ever). We don't want VM doing the same with, say Starz or Showtime.

Premium Network channels being tied to UK providers, with no online streaming option, is a bad idea and sets back the progress that has been made in regards to cord cutting.
I agree, passingbat, although I would be surprised if we don't get AMC after a brief exclusivity period. They will need a sufficient audience to get decent advertising revenue to offset their costs.
Old 01-09-2015, 17:59   #1938
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I agree, passingbat, although I would be surprised if we don't get AMC after a brief exclusivity period. They will need a sufficient audience to get decent advertising revenue to offset their costs.
Both BT and Sky are not and never will be purely reliant on advertising revenue , these channels are funded to boost customer numbers and help retain existing customers. Look at Sky's financials and you will see revenue from subscriptions dwarfs advertising money. It's the likes of ITV etc who have to worry about viewing figures.
Old 01-09-2015, 20:06   #1939
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Both BT and Sky are not and never will be purely reliant on advertising revenue , these channels are funded to boost customer numbers and help retain existing customers. Look at Sky's financials and you will see revenue from subscriptions dwarfs advertising money. It's the likes of ITV etc who have to worry about viewing figures.
Yes, but BT are savvy enough to know that the part of the population who are VM viewers currently are most likely to be attracted to the BT offer in the first two or three months. Those that haven't made the leap by then are less likely to make the leap later on without another big selling attraction.

At that point, they have pretty well a guaranteed income from VM who I'm sure are planning a wholesale deal to take effect further down the road.

I would be surprised if this was not the BT plan, given their relatively small subscriber base. They did it with BT Sport and they will probably do it with AMC. If this was Sky we were talking about, things would be different!
Old 01-09-2015, 20:41   #1940
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Yes, but BT are savvy enough to know that the part of the population who are VM viewers currently are most likely to be attracted to the BT offer in the first two or three months. Those that haven't made the leap by then are less likely to make the leap later on without another big selling attraction.

At that point, they have pretty well a guaranteed income from VM who I'm sure are planning a wholesale deal to take effect further down the road.

I would be surprised if this was not the BT plan, given their relatively small subscriber base. They did it with BT Sport and they will probably do it with AMC. If this was Sky we were talking about, things would be different!
Who knows we'll see , haven't we been here before with your predictions for Sky Atlantic.

Whether we like it or not the majority of media companies now see exclusive content as the way to go Netflix , Amazon , Sky , Apple, BT to name just a few.
Old 01-09-2015, 21:17   #1941
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'm not suggesting you are wrong (personally, I haven't a clue whether or not it will come to VM) but AMC and BT sport are completely different kettles of fish.

Pretty much everyone knows about what BT sport brings to the table, and it's appeal is wide. But the ordinary man in the street probably hasn't a clue what AMC is. Would VM be prepared to pay BT for something that is of minority interest?

And as I've said previously, show wise, it's only currently got two new exclusive shows; and only one of those has got any popular buzz. The other, Rectify, originated on the Sundance channel and probably has minority appeal.

Obviously AMC will add new shows in the future, but as of now, it's not unmissable viewing apart from Fear of the Walking Dead.
Old 01-09-2015, 22:07   #1942
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I'm not suggesting you are wrong (personally, I haven't a clue whether or not it will come to VM) but AMC and BT sport are completely different kettles of fish.

Pretty much everyone knows about what BT sport brings to the table, and it's appeal is wide. But the ordinary man in the street probably hasn't a clue what AMC is. Would VM be prepared to pay BT for something that is of minority interest?

And as I've said previously, show wise, it's only currently got two new exclusive shows; and only one of those has got any popular buzz. The other, Rectify, originated on the Sundance channel and probably has minority appeal.

Obviously AMC will add new shows in the future, but as of now, it's not unmissable viewing apart from Fear of the Walking Dead.
At the moment AMC is only a part time channel has 2 movies on and a few shows most of which are available via online streaming services, it's mostly mad men and the shield for now.
Old 01-09-2015, 22:13   #1943
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Thousands of movies to be removed from Netflix by the end of September.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34110968
That weakens their service. Maybe I'm stuck in my ways but the idea of Netflix original movies doesn't really appeal to me. I think some of their original TV shows have been hit and miss. In reality how many Netflix original movies can they churn out in a 6 month period, and will they be better quality than the movies they are dumping?

I can see myself becoming a Netflix "dipper". Not using their service for months and months, allowing them to build up content, then subscribing for 1 month to splurge through it all. Then let them build up new content over a period of a few months then dip in again.

My mate dips in and out of Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. He takes each service month about. So he has Netflix for a month, cancels it, then takes Amazon Instant for a month etc.... He says it saves him money yet he manages to watch everything he wants from both services. Very tight but saves him £80.00 per year.
Old 01-09-2015, 22:22   #1944
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I think some of their original TV shows have been hit and miss. .
Narcos, which launched last Friday is excellent IMHO. Watched the whole series over the weekend.

---------- Post added at 21:22 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
and the shield for now.
Apparently, there will be a 4K release of the shield in 2017.
Old 01-09-2015, 22:36   #1945
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Don't know about unmissable but I did put the old girl's false teeth under lock & key when she went to bed last night. I couldn't imagine anything worse than a 95yo zombie marauding through the house in the dead of night.

The PQ is a bit disappointing, I'm always impressed seeing BT Sport on BTTV with its excellent picture quality - FTWD isn't in that class. Sadly, there's no 5.1 either. The characters didn't make me feel for them, in fact I couldn't care less - they're a very constructed, US-style family. I'll give it another couple of episodes to see if there's any improvement.

In short, don't worry too much about AMC appearing on VM - for now at least. Breaking Bad starts next month and I have a feeling that there'll be a new series added each month over the next few months.

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

Quote:
Narcos, which launched last Friday is excellent IMHO. Watched the whole series over the weekend.[COLOR="Silver"]
Best I've seen in ages - did the same as you
Old 01-09-2015, 22:46   #1946
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassiekev View Post
In short, don't worry too much about AMC appearing on VM - for now at least. Breaking Bad starts next month and I have a feeling that there'll be a new series added each month over the next few months.
Agreed.

Breaking Bad is on UK Netflix and most of the other shows are non current, and available on Prime or various Netflix regions.

I gave up on The Walking Dead after a couple of seasons, so I'm not that fussed about TFOTWD. One of the streaming services that I subscribe to has it, so I may give it a go.
Old 01-09-2015, 23:33   #1947
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Narcos, which launched last Friday is excellent IMHO. Watched the whole series over the weekend.

---------- Post added at 21:22 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Apparently, there will be a 4K release of the shield in 2017.
Interesting be great if they do this.
Old 02-09-2015, 00:59   #1948
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/the...#post-22535839

---------- Post added at 23:59 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

Quote:
Interesting also that Kurt Sutter (creator of Sons of Anarchy} was a writer on The Shield. You can see where the influences for SOA came from.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:59   #1949
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/the...#post-22535839

---------- Post added at 23:59 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

Interesting also that Kurt Sutter (creator of Sons of Anarchy} was a writer on The Shield. You can see where the influences for SOA came from.
I seen on cinemablend that a soa spinoff is in the works too.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:32   #1950
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
I seen on cinemablend that a soa spinoff is in the works too.
Yes, I saw that info on TVWise. I hope that goes ahead.
Closed Thread