Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 07-10-2013, 16:23   #4066
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Yes - when load was reduced on the SH1 (was it wireless), the phenomenon abated. The phenomenon has not been reported on the SH2.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2013, 22:18   #4067
MaverickJesus
cf.addict

MaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud of

Not VM related, but for anyone interested in general networking, here is the impact of a 200mbps Powerline run on an FTTC connection:

Powerline is connected between the Openreach modem and an RT-N56U, generally gets around ~60mbits peak on the ring I'm running it on. It seems to add around ~3ms latency, a small amount of jitter (over Ethernet there is no yellow unless I'm downloading), and noticeable intermittent packet loss.

Dirty power indeed!
MaverickJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 23:35   #4068
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Hurts my eyes! Cable it up properly!!!!
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 23:41   #4069
MaverickJesus
cf.addict

MaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud of

Not sure why the image has died, I'll try to generate another one - I did it as a little experiment to see how much throughput I could get via Powerline across my house, its pretty redundant as the whole house is rigged up with Cat5
MaverickJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:29   #4070
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Minimum Latency jump but speed is still good

Old 08-10-2013, 01:46   #4071
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Somethings happening every 5 hours on my graph. Also looks like another reboot is in order...
Old 08-10-2013, 03:32   #4072
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

craigy just keep rebooting man
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:41   #4073
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

at the current rate 2 more reebots ill be at -20ms
Old 08-10-2013, 10:29   #4074
JayAy
Inactive

JayAy will become famous soon enoughJayAy will become famous soon enoughJayAy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It won't be better if they've swung you and a load of others onto a temporary CMTS (currently HEME9) while they beef up the one you were on. I notice you only habe one upstream channel - should be two when they've finished their upgrades.
VM has confirmed that there is a Class C resegmentation under way, so that seems to fit with your suggestion. Also spoke to CS and they will apply an account credit once the work has been completed. Now just need to sit it out until the work is done. Thanks again for the analysis.
JayAy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:36   #4075
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

You're welcome.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:32   #4076
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Seemed to be having some issues last night. Admittedly I didn't even notice in the evening but I wasn't really using the internet much:

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

It was around midnight when I noticed my phone was switching to data network instead of wireless - all 3 wireless networks in my home were offering poor connectivity.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:50   #4077
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Seemed to be having some issues last night. Admittedly I didn't even notice in the evening but I wasn't really using the internet much:

It was around midnight when I noticed my phone was switching to data network instead of wireless - all 3 wireless networks in my home were offering poor connectivity.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:05   #4078
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

How interesting! Network wide?
Old 08-10-2013, 12:42   #4079
Sephiroth
Simples

Or TBB wide. Or Qasi's revenge.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:52   #4080
Kushan

Well I was definitely having network issues, so I don't think it was a TBB thing. Qasi, though? Wouldn't put it past him!