Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31-05-2008, 01:51   #7681
homealone

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
I am tired is what I am, I have only had 4 hours sleep in the last 3 days, but still not enough Diggs, so I am calling in all the favours I can to try and get it up there. It is gonna be a long night...

Alexander Hanff
Donated a fiver, not a lot, but I hope it helps ..

Advertisement
Old 31-05-2008, 02:04   #7682
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
Donated a fiver, not a lot, but I hope it helps ..
It all helps so thanks very much. If everyone who signed the PM petition donated that much we would be able to organise multiple events and probably cater them too.

So thanks again,

Alexander Hanff
Old 31-05-2008, 02:07   #7683
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
It all helps so thanks very much. If everyone who signed the PM petition donated that much we would be able to organise multiple events and probably cater them too.

So thanks again,

Alexander Hanff
no problem, I haven't participated much in the thread, but have been impressed with your energy & dedication, so it is the least I could do

Old 31-05-2008, 02:10   #7684
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Another avenue for reporting the www.webwise.bt.com URL (and email/session cookie leak issue);

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/report_url
Old 31-05-2008, 02:12   #7685
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Just Dugg the story, Alex.

That makes 51, which I reckon is not bad for a Friday night; should get a lot more tomorrow when the dayshift come on.

OB
Old 31-05-2008, 02:18   #7686
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBear View Post
Just Dugg the story, Alex.

That makes 51, which I reckon is not bad for a Friday night; should get a lot more tomorrow when the dayshift come on.

OB
I have something in the workings I expect it will make Digg front page in the not too distant future, called in a few favours.

Alexander Hanff
Old 31-05-2008, 02:40   #7687
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

if anyone wants to join these and supply them with their contact information for the PR release etc then theres several free PR news release websites.
heres three i found in two minutes searching
http://openpr.com/news/submit.html
http://www.pr-inside.com/release_new.htm
http://www.pr.com/promote-your-business

you could i supose go direct to the sites mentioned in the third but whatever makes it easyer....
Old 31-05-2008, 04:28   #7688
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Alexander I've Donated a fiver, not a lot, but I hope it helps.
Old 31-05-2008, 04:47   #7689
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdadyslexia View Post
Hi Alexander I've Donated a fiver, not a lot, but I hope it helps.
Thanks.

Let me just say though to everyone, please don't feel obliged to donate, I don't want people leaving themselves short. Donations are very useful and will hopefully allow me to do more in the future such as future events etc. but I know what it is like to be strapped for cash and I don't want people ending up in difficult financial circumstances.

People on this forum have already been more than generous and my appreciation goes beyond words, so just all be sensible and don't give what you can't afford.

Alexander Hanff
Old 31-05-2008, 05:00   #7690
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light

Alexander get your self to Bed, that is watt I am going to do, is go to Bed. Or by the way know worries on the money, cach you later.
Old 31-05-2008, 05:02   #7691
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdadyslexia View Post
Alexander get your self to Bed, that is watt I am going to do, is go to Bed. Or by the way know worries on the money, cach you later.
Yeah I am heading to bed shortly, I was just setting forums up on the site.

Sleep well.

Alexander Hanff
Old 31-05-2008, 06:40   #7692
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

http://current.com/items/88990813_uk...16th_july_2008
Old 31-05-2008, 10:58   #7693
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Dugg

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
10/10
Old 31-05-2008, 11:57   #7694
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Good luck with the demo on 16 July I'm sure it will be a great success provided everyone maintains the intelligence and dignity exhibited throughout the life of this thread which has, at the very least, arrested the deployment of webwise.

However, not everyone will be able to participate in the demo simply because of other responsibilities and commitments, so does anyone have any suggestions about the way that those not physically able to attend can contribute? Perhaps by registering their support for the demo on BT's site on the day of the demo?

I'm not in favour of gratuitous spam but the cause is legitimate in view of the importance of the issue.

This two-pronged approach will be reported in terms of those physically attending (and we don't know what those numbers will be) being supported by the thousands who registered their support for their 'London delegation'.

It's just an idea to supplement the demo by giving those who are equally committed but who cannot get to London an opportunity to participate. More voices make more noise and all that.
Old 31-05-2008, 12:02   #7695
Frank Rizzo
Inactive

Frank Rizzo is an unknown quantity at this point

* * * ICO will NOT take action over the 2007 trials * * *

The ICO have written to me in relation to the complaint I had made about the 2007 trials (re: BT intercepted my communications - told me I had a virus)

Quote:
BT have explained that two technical tests of a prototype advertising platform were conducted in 2006 and 2007. They have informed us that these tests were designed to evaluate the functional and technical performance of the platform. BT have confirmed that they sought their own legal advice before both trials.

Where a purely technical trial is conducted that, in BT's view, is likely to have little or no impact on customers, they have advised that they would not generally seek consent from customers. As they did not anticipate the trials would cause customers problems they did not brief their customer service helpdesks about them (hence the problems you experienced in getting advice from them at the time).

BT have told us that they did not associate your enquiry with the 2007 trial and as they were not able to identify individual customers that had participated (because of the anonymity of the process) they were unable to get back to you. They have advised that they attempted to contact you after you had expressed concerns online at 'The Register' however they were apparently not successful.

Finally, BT have confirmed that no personally identifiable information was processed, stored or disclosed during either trial. We have no reason to doubt this assertion. Where no personal data is processed the Data Protection Act will not apply.

As we discussed when we spoke the issues that we have considered in this case relate primarily to the requirements of Regulations 6 and 7 of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.

Regulation 6 requires that where an organisation is using an electronic communications network to store information, or gain access to information stored, in the terminal equipment of a subscriber or user, the subscriber or user should (in most cases) be provided with 'clear and comprehensive' information about the purposes of the storage of, or access to, that information, and the opportunity to refuse the storage of or access to that information. In other words, if an organisation collects information using cookies they have to tell people about that, and advised them how to prevent operating.

Regulation 7 sets down conditions for the conditions for the circumstances in which traffic data relating to subscribers or users can be processed. In some cases this Regulation requires that a public communications provider has a subscriber or users consent to process traffic data for the provision of ‘value added services’. Traffic data is broadly speaking data used to convey, route or charge for a communication.

It is arguable whether the requirements of Regulation 7 are engaged in this instance, however it is our view that Regulation 6 would likely to apply. BT’s view is that as the 2007 trial was small scale and technical in nature and no adverts were served, it would have been difficult to frame any advice for customers about the operation of cookies, and obtain any relevant consents for the processing of traffic data, with a wording that they would have any resonance at all for theory customers.
Our view is that, whether or not there was a technical breach of the Regulation, there is no evidence that the trials generally involved significant detriment to individuals involved (although we acknowledge – as have BT – the problem you flagged) or privacy risks to individuals. On this basis, and taking into account the difficulties involved in providing meaningful and clear information to customers (the vast majority of whom were likely to be completed unrelated to the anonymous technical trial) in this case, this is not an issue we intend to pursue further with BT.

However, as we discussed when we spoke I understand you were considering the options available to you in terms of pursuing this matter further yourself. As I mentioned briefly on the telephone, Regulation 30 specifies that a person who suffers damage by reason of a contravention of any of the requirements of the Regulations by any other person can make a claim for compensation for that damage.

If you believe you have suffered quantifiable damage as a result of a breach of the Regulations and are considering pursuing this matter you should seek your own legal advice.

As I mentioned in my previous email whilst I appreciate your concerns about the trial(s), particularly in light of the information you received when you contacted HBT, we continue to be focused on ensuring that any future wide scale use of the Phorm product is conducted in as clear and transparent a manner as possible in compliance with the legislation.

Yours sincerely..
Closed Thread