Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 03-04-2017, 01:03   #3091
Andy C
cf.addict

Services: V6 Virgin 360, Volt Gig1 BB,
Andy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really nice
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Samsung soundbar probably be best then mate. You might be able to hook it up wirelessly, if not, definitely with an optical cable.

My optical cable is from the TV to the surround, so if I'm watching movies on the V6 box or watching Netflix through PS4 or the TV app, the sound is always brilliant.
Make sure to choose a soundbar that supports ARC. Your TV should have one HDMI port with ARC and if you connect the soundbar to the TV via the ARC ports then all the sound from all the TV's inputs (V6, PS4, Blu-Ray, whatever) will come from the soundbar. This also lets you use the TV's remote to control the volume from the soundbar, or the V6 remote if you program it to operate your TV. No need for optical cables.

Instructions on how to program the remote are here.

Andy.

Last edited by Andy C; 03-04-2017 at 01:07.
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2017, 12:33   #3092
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Make sure to choose a soundbar that supports ARC. Your TV should have one HDMI port with ARC and if you connect the soundbar to the TV via the ARC ports then all the sound from all the TV's inputs (V6, PS4, Blu-Ray, whatever) will come from the soundbar. This also lets you use the TV's remote to control the volume from the soundbar, or the V6 remote if you program it to operate your TV. No need for optical cables.

Instructions on how to program the remote are here.

Andy.
Thanks for the info,I will bear that in mind when I buy one.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 14:56   #3093
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

5 full day's into having the V6 very impressed with it the speed through the box is the biggest improvement well worth the £70 odd upgrade cost
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 17:21   #3094
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Had mine sent to me yesterday along with a new SHUB 3 and installation was fine and quick and the box is flying, didn't use it too much but will give a good run tonight.
Old 07-04-2017, 22:34   #3095
trueblood
cf.member

Services: TV XL Phone M BB XL 200 MB V6 x 2
trueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enough

When i get my V6 i'l keep old TiVo and stream recordings via powerline adapter. The V6 will be connected to a 5.1 amp, will the TiVo recordings play back through the V6 with 5.1 sound ?.
trueblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:30   #3096
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblood View Post
When i get my V6 i'l keep old TiVo and stream recordings via powerline adapter. The V6 will be connected to a 5.1 amp, will the TiVo recordings play back through the V6 with 5.1 sound ?.
Shouldn't be a problem. I do that that with my Tivo although its through a gaming adapter and wifi to the router. I used homeplugs during a VM trial and they worked perfectly but when it came to long continuous streaming they wouldnt do it.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 22:07   #3097
Horace
İBeam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

My mother's V6 was working fine after install (Tuesday) but this morning was giving a c133 error and I had to go round and manually go into settings and 'connect to virginmedia services' or something close to that to fix the problem. Rebooting didn't help. Am I likely to have to do that again?

"We live in age of mass media where everything, everyday, is frenzied and hysterical and we don't have problems, we have crises."
- Ken Clarke.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 22:32   #3098
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
My mother's V6 was working fine after install (Tuesday) but this morning was giving a c133 error and I had to go round and manually go into settings and 'connect to virginmedia services' or something close to that to fix the problem. Rebooting didn't help. Am I likely to have to do that again?
There was a network fault today that may have caused that. It should be fixed now, and is unlikely to happen again.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 16:14   #3099
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Has anyone used the V6 on 2.4ghz and 5ghz? Was there any noticeable improvements over 5ghz?

Mine have been working perfect on 2.4ghz since installation back in Feb, but starting to get some V401 video error messages lately. Managed to work last night, but was thinking about trying them over 5ghz instead.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 17:40   #3100
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Has anyone used the V6 on 2.4ghz and 5ghz? Was there any noticeable improvements over 5ghz?

Mine have been working perfect on 2.4ghz since installation back in Feb, but starting to get some V401 video error messages lately. Managed to work last night, but was thinking about trying them over 5ghz instead.
Yes, 5ghz is definitely recommended. Although both of my boxes worked well individually on 2.4, I could not watch the recordings on the other box with 2.4, although I could see the 'My Shows' lists for both boxes.

Since I've been on 5ghz, both of my boxes have worked perfectly.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 17:41   #3101
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, 5ghz is definitely recommended. Although both of my boxes worked well individually on 2.4, I could not watch the recordings on the other box with 2.4, although I could see the 'My Shows' lists for both boxes.

Thanks for the feedback, OB.

When I get home tonight, think I'll change them to 5ghz.
Is the default Wi Fi password the same for both settings?
Old 18-04-2017, 20:35   #3102
DreamRJ
cf.member

DreamRJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the new V6 box over a week ago And I love the speed of it. soo much better, I had the old TIVO box for 5 years and i was sick of how slow it was. I love the fact apps open within 20 seconds and iplayer loads in about the same too. Also the fact you can record upto 6 programs at the same time and it supports 4k, makes this box future proof for the next 5 years at least.

Now we just need some 4k channels.

But i also got my V6 box for free after i complained and emailed the CEO exec team. They called me back and they gave me the V6 box and superhub 3 box for free, no one of fee and no activation fee either, all was scrapped for me.

So if you still haven't got a V6 box and when you ring retention's and they keep saying they can not give you a free box, then just PM me and i will give you the CEO email address so you can email the exec team so they can get you one for free.
DreamRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 12:59   #3103
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Hi OB,

Changed my 2 V6 boxes over to 5ghz, works superbly. Was really easy to do too.

Went even further and changed my PS4 over as well, managed to get 123meg download over wifi :-)

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 19-04-2017 at 14:00.
Old 19-04-2017, 18:20   #3104
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Hi OB,

Changed my 2 V6 boxes over to 5ghz, works superbly. Was really easy to do too.

Went even further and changed my PS4 over as well, managed to get 123meg download over wifi :-)
Good, glad it worked for you, UC!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 19:28   #3105
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRJ View Post
I got the new V6 box over a week ago And I love the speed of it. soo much better, I had the old TIVO box for 5 years and i was sick of how slow it was. I love the fact apps open within 20 seconds and iplayer loads in about the same too. Also the fact you can record upto 6 programs at the same time and it supports 4k, makes this box future proof for the next 5 years at least.

Now we just need some 4k channels.

But i also got my V6 box for free after i complained and emailed the CEO exec team. They called me back and they gave me the V6 box and superhub 3 box for free, no one of fee and no activation fee either, all was scrapped for me.

So if you still haven't got a V6 box and when you ring retention's and they keep saying they can not give you a free box, then just PM me and i will give you the CEO email address so you can email the exec team so they can get you one for free.

That's still pretty long, the apps on my smart TV open almost instantly..

Last edited by Mad Max; 19-04-2017 at 19:59.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote