Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Using a router with Panasonic TV to access internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cable Broadband

Old 18-08-2010, 20:31   #1
mary5
Inactive

mary5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cable Broadband

Hi

Firstly Im not very IT wise so forgive the silly question.
Im getting Fibre Power Broadband installed. My friend gave me an Asmax BR 604 router as a present. The lady from the broadband company said the router needs to be able to take cable broadband. Does anyone know if this router will do or do I need to get a different one? I'd obviously prefer to use the router I have.

Thanks
mary5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-08-2010, 21:34   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Cable Broadband

Unfortunately I don't speak Polish so can't read the specs

But looking at the pictures of it on the net, it has a WAN port rather than a telephone line connection so it seems to be a cable router
Old 18-08-2010, 21:41   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Its a standard Cable router by the look of it and the specifications are similar to a Netgear WGR614v9, I used Google Translate on the page.

Number of built-in WAN ports:
Liczba wbudowanych portów LAN :
Number of built-in LAN ports:
Liczba portów LAN :
Number of LAN ports:
Standardy trasmisji uplink :
Standards trasmisji uplink:
10/100BaseTX
10/100BaseTX
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 22:08   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
You'll get the new hub anyway so it will be a modem and router in one. And if you go for xxl you will get a free router
He said he was getting Fibrepower which is in Bournemouth so not our equipment so the router is only a G so probably underpowered as they do 100Mb.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 22:33   #5
mary5
Inactive

mary5 is an unknown quantity at this point

So from the looks of things, the router I have should work

Thanks a million for your help
mary5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 22:51   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

It will work but you may not get the best out of your connection if you use it
Old 21-08-2010, 19:00   #7
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

If it's a cable router it will have a load of connectors at the back which apart from the power will all be the same.
One connector will be singled out by being away from the rest and usually in a different colour.
As for it only being a G standard, unless you want to stream HD movies to several PCs then you will be fine.
If it has a telephone connector on the back then it's an ADSL router which wont work.
I think it will be fine.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote