Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | do virgin block p2p programmes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

do virgin block p2p programmes?

Old 29-01-2009, 22:51   #16
steve4571
Inactive

steve4571 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: do virgin block p2p programmees?

Have to agree to disagree.. Like I said earlier, I have been with virgin for 3 months. I noticed this when everytime I opened Vuze. In the task bar at the bottom, a yellow x would appear and I would lose connection to my seeds. Then it would re connect for about a minute or so and then do the same again. I watched this for an hour or so then shut down my PC. I used internet without Vuze for half an hour and nothing, it was fine so I opened Vuze again and it started all over again. I phoned Virgin and told them my connection kept dropping and they asked me if I was using P2P software because if I was, it would keep doing this as Virgin is trying to crack down. All I know is that with me, it woun't let me use P2P. If I leave it overnight, it will probably finish or be close by but lets be honest, a 700mb file should be done in an hour max..
steve4571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-01-2009, 22:53   #17
Stabhappy
Inactive

Services: XXL BB + M Phone
Stabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Stabhappy
Re: do virgin block p2p programmees?

You were fobbed off by tech support wanted to get you off the phone line.

This is almost certainly a case of you simply needing to reduce your number of connections in Vuze.
Stabhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 22:56   #18
steve4571
Inactive

Tried that.. still the same.. I just given up.. Can you offer any other advice?? I am sure I have tried everything though..
Old 29-01-2009, 23:03   #19
Stabhappy
Inactive

Stabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really nice

What modem do you have? (should be on the underside of it)
Old 29-01-2009, 23:17   #20
steve4571
Inactive

Ambit?? It the second one I have recieved from Virgin.. Running a netgear router though.. I tried plugging straight into modem but that would not work.. I think it is something to do with the router as that is where the little yellow x appears.
Old 30-01-2009, 00:08   #21
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4571 View Post
Ambit?? It the second one I have recieved from Virgin.. Running a netgear router though.. I tried plugging straight into modem but that would not work.. I think it is something to do with the router as that is where the little yellow x appears.
Running an Ambit 256 modem on a 10Mbit connection through the Netgear router Virgin supply. Absolutely no problems with connection dropping out, it's rock-solid. Maximum connections I have in uTorrent is 1000, but it never hits that; maximum upload slots are 200 per torrent. You're either doing something wrong, or your connection's very bad.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 01:20   #22
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Have to agree to disagree..
Disagree all you want. My info comes from someone who is in a much better position to know exactly what they are doing on the network than someone doing support.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 18:27   #23
steve4571
Inactive

Re: do virgin block p2p programmes?

Hey guys, all I know is when I open Vuze or sopcast the little yellow x appears. I don't have to be downloading anything just opening the programme drops the connection. As soon as the programme closes, It reconnects and does not drop again. I have sat and studied this for weeks. Virgin are doing something but after a little more digging today, I have found that this is happening to many new customers. if you have had your connection for 6 mnths or more you should be OK for the time being.
Old 30-01-2009, 19:46   #24
Stabhappy
Inactive

Steve, you are assuming that they are throttling - they are not. It is a setting which isn't being set properly; most likely connections or your modem not being able to sustain/start with so many simultaneous connections. Get in touch with 2nd line techs via the newsgroups and they'll probably send you a new modem or help you out. Virgin is not against torrenting so this case is viable for support from VM until the issue is fixed.
Old 01-02-2009, 00:04   #25
Northeast_user
Inactive

Northeast_user is a jewel in the roughNortheast_user is a jewel in the roughNortheast_user is a jewel in the roughNortheast_user is a jewel in the roughNortheast_user is a jewel in the rough

Just ran THIS and nothing was blocked here.
Northeast_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 23:00   #26
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Quote:
Hey guys, all I know is when I open Vuze or sopcast the little yellow x appears. I don't have to be downloading anything just opening the programme drops the connection. As soon as the programme closes, It reconnects and does not drop again. I have sat and studied this for weeks. Virgin are doing something but after a little more digging today, I have found that this is happening to many new customers. if you have had your connection for 6 mnths or more you should be OK for the time being.
It sounds like your modem or router cant handle the connections as people have said VM are not throttling yet, plus throttling wouldn't make you lose connection just slow you down, so there is a fault somewhere.

I have been torrenting tonight and hitting 1.2Mb a second
broadbandking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 23:42   #27
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
You have forwarded youre ports havent you?

www.portforward.com
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 20:24   #28
richiekuk
Inactive

richiekuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I didnt think you could forward ports with VM
richiekuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 00:47   #29
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

I've been doing it for the past 5 months; yes you can!
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:49   #30
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiekuk View Post
I didnt think you could forward ports with VM
You can't forward ports that they have blocked as to do so would require that they give you admin access to their networking hardware (which, with all due respect, isn't going to happen). It *is* possible however that your own router is blocking the ports, and you can use port forwarding to bypass the blocks placed by your router.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote