Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix set to fight sky over film deals

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > General Entertainment

Netflix set to fight sky over film deals

Old 09-04-2012, 15:16   #1
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Netflix set to fight sky over film deals

The Sunday Telegraph reported yesterday that Netflix has called on the Competition Commission to abandon its investigation into Sky's exclusive movie deals with the six major Hollywood studios because it wants to compete with Sky for these deals.

I think the Competition Commission should press ahead and ban the practice of having exclusivity deals that are deliberately designed to restrict the ability of other platforms to gain access to those films or TV shows.

The alternative would be that Netflix would get deals with some of the channels and Sky with the others. We would then have to subscribe to both in order to see all the films. That only means one thing for the customer - added expense!

If exclusivity deals were outlawed, we could choose between Netflix and Sky, and guess which would be cheaper! A lot cheaper, with Neflix subscriptions currently at £5.99 per month (although that would increase for more up to date material). However, it is bound to be less than Sky's prices!

If this came about, all the posts that Virgin Media viewers send about missing out on Sky Atlantic would stop in a trice, because we would simply view the programmes we wanted through Netflix.

I think Rupert Murdoch needs to think very carefully about continuing to deny VM viewers the programmes they want to see because we will surely turn their backs on Sky as soon as we get the opportunity after the way we have been treated by that company.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2012, 15:36   #2
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix set to fight sky over film deals

If Netflix were to strike deals with more studios for more content especially newer content you can bet your bottom dollar they would be no longer charging £5.99 that would significantly increase in my opinion. Exclusivity deals will never be outlawed be it right or wrong all companies have them , Sky have an exclusive deal with HBO , VM have one with TIVO , it happens in many different types of business , I can see your point but in reality can't see that happening anytime soon.

I take it this is the article your referring too
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...film-push.html
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 16:43   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

As Netflix is not exclusive to Tivo (or even Virgin), I've moved it to a more appropriate forum.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 17:16   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
If Netflix were to strike deals with more studios for more content especially newer content you can bet your bottom dollar they would be no longer charging £5.99 that would significantly increase in my opinion. Exclusivity deals will never be outlawed be it right or wrong all companies have them , Sky have an exclusive deal with HBO , VM have one with TIVO , it happens in many different types of business , I can see your point but in reality can't see that happening anytime soon.

I take it this is the article your referring too
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...film-push.html
Yes, that's the article.

However, as for exclusivity deals never being outlawed in the future, I have said before that I have no problem with a programme being available to a channel on an exclusive basis, as long as that channel is also available at a reasonable charge on other platforms. The law needs to be tweaked to ensure fairness to all the viewing public.
Old 09-04-2012, 17:28   #5
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, that's the article.

However, as for exclusivity deals never being outlawed in the future, I have said before that I have no problem with a programme being available to a channel on an exclusive basis, as long as that channel is also available at a reasonable charge on other platforms. The law needs to be tweaked to ensure fairness to all the viewing public.
l echo your sentiments totally OB.
Old 09-04-2012, 18:20   #6
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

To be honest whatever the rights or wrongs of exlcusivity deals i am amazed that Netflix has called on the competition Comission to abandon its investigation,i even wonder if netfilx has the resources to go head to head with Sky over film studio deals?

The last time i looked at the netfilx offerings its mostly older stuff,and even if the CC investigation carries on what has Netflix got to lose i wonder.?
Old 09-04-2012, 18:29   #7
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
To be honest whatever the rights or wrongs of exlcusivity deals i am amazed that Netflix has called on the competition Comission to abandon its investigation,i even wonder if netfilx has the resources to go head to head with Sky over film studio deals?

The last time i looked at the netfilx offerings its mostly older stuff,and even if the CC investigation carries on what has Netflix got to lose i wonder.?
Has some type of deal been done l wonder.
Old 09-04-2012, 18:36   #8
richard1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Has some type of deal been done l wonder.
Seems like something is going on behind the scenes mate though it remains to be seen what.

Unless Netflix really does intend to compete over movie rights they will need very deep pockets though.
Old 09-04-2012, 19:16   #9
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

They will never compete as you say there pockets simply aren't deep enough , I don't even think Netflix want to do that , their more likely to improve the choice of their current offering , they openly said a lot of their subscribers will have pay TV and also subscribe to Netflix also something not possible if subs were to increase vastly to pay for newer content.
Old 09-04-2012, 19:43   #10
richard1960

Quote:
They will never compete as you say there pockets simply aren't deep enough , I don't even think Netflix want to do that , their more likely to improve the choice of their current offering , they openly said a lot of their subscribers will have pay TV and also subscribe to Netflix also something not possible if subs were to increase vastly to pay for newer content.
Pretty much how i read it Muppetman perhaps they are trying to get the CC off the hook by suggesting they abandon their enquirey cannot see any other reason for Netflix to say what they have mate.

Although as the football has proved sometimes competition actually increases prices as several subs may be needed for the content,although with the football i suppose ESPN does provide some EPL for those that cannot afford the Sky sub.

Wether this would be the same for film content who knows.
Old 09-04-2012, 19:57   #11
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Have people forgot about this?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...ies-probe.html
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 21:12   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Not forgotten, devilincarnate, but this review is taking so long! I just hope that assuming the Competition Commission bites the bullet, it will be for the benefit of customers.

That'll be a first!
Old 11-04-2012, 23:52   #13
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

It's the tv and movie studios you also want to be blaming

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/tech...146735265.html
Old 12-04-2012, 00:28   #14
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It's the tv and movie studios you also want to be blaming

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/tech...146735265.html
A very interesting read. It sounds like a hurdle Netflix might never get over. Personally I'd be happy if companies like Lovefilm and Netflix could offer streamed movies at the same time as their DVD release on a package basis. When I was with Lovefilm about 4 years ago I paid something like £14.99 for 3discs at a time. I think the most I managed to squeeze out of them in a month was 22 rentals.

I'd happily pay Netflix / Lovefilm £14.99 per month to stream up to 20 hours of the latest content per month. You'd get through about 10 or 12 films each month before using your 20 hour limit for the month. Only problem seems to be that on Lovefilm, Filmflex, SKY Box Office and Blockbuster video the going rate to rent the latest movies is about £3.50. Until rental prices drop across the board, streaming sites will struggle to offer really impressive packages at enticing rates.

I just think there are so many barriers in the way stopping Lovefilm and Netflix delivering what movie fans want, at a price movie fans will pay. I'm very dubious Netflix or Lovefilm will ever be a massive success in terms of streaming in the UK. I'm all for a cheaper alternative to SKY but it's such a tough market, especially with SKY Now coming soon too.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 00:41   #15
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
A very interesting read. It sounds like a hurdle Netflix might never get over. Personally I'd be happy if companies like Lovefilm and Netflix could offer streamed movies at the same time as their DVD release on a package basis. When I was with Lovefilm about 4 years ago I paid something like £14.99 for 3discs at a time. I think the most I managed to squeeze out of them in a month was 22 rentals.

I'd happily pay Netflix / Lovefilm £14.99 per month to stream up to 20 hours of the latest content per month. You'd get through about 10 or 12 films each month before using your 20 hour limit for the month. Only problem seems to be that on Lovefilm, Filmflex, SKY Box Office and Blockbuster video the going rate to rent the latest movies is about £3.50. Until rental prices drop across the board, streaming sites will struggle to offer really impressive packages at enticing rates.

I just think there are so many barriers in the way stopping Lovefilm and Netflix delivering what movie fans want, at a price movie fans will pay. I'm very dubious Netflix or Lovefilm will ever be a massive success in terms of streaming in the UK. I'm all for a cheaper alternative to SKY but it's such a tough market, especially with SKY Now coming soon too.
Very valid point that Chad , people love the unlimited streaming model however the studios do not. I'd prefer a model were you get say 10 rentals at the same time as DVD for £14.99 meaning £1.50 a rental with the beauty you get too choose which 10. Content choice will always remain the same under the current pricing model.

Another interesting read
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...410-1wlm7.html