Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 07-12-2011, 18:49   #31
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Speed doubling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well you are saying you have been with the company since the NTL days so one would hope that you would be awarded good loyalty discounts and l have been a Cable customer for the last 12 years and have got many services so one would hope that myself and many others who have been loyal would be rewarded from time to time accordingly.
I too have been with VM since it was C&W, then NTL... However, I hate to suggest that long term customers probably won't get anything as we've already proven to be loyal customers, and therefore, don't need bribing to be loyal.

Or I'm just paranoid.

Just to add, this comment is meant to be mostly tongue in cheek.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2011, 18:50   #32
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
As I said, haven't a clue, but to be honest no matter what criteria they use, it's always going to be 'unfair' and 'rubbish' to those who don't get the one they want
This is very true, perhaps all subscribers will get a free speed increase in time to come.
I am on 50 meg and have thought seriously of getting 100meg but as the 50meg is more than adequate i see no reason to at the moment.
Old 07-12-2011, 19:09   #33
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I see your 2000/blueyonder, and raise you 1994/Jones Cable/Bell Cablemedia/C&W Comms/NTL/VM...
I see your 1994 and raise you Nynex in June 1993

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 19:20   #34
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Yes but what I was trying to say is the spending the most does not equal loyalty
Maybe not. But spending 20 years with the same company, and moving all phone lines, TV and BB (including business services), certainly does constitute loyalty. Especially when I have had no end of problems with CS.

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

Quote:
And who says you won't be.

This and the other Tickles that people have been getting recently aren't all that Virgin are going to be doing.
I see you have been ignoring my comments about the drinking chocolate....apparently that's all my loyalty is worth.

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Lucky you mine was empty
Hey, don't complain. At least you got a sachet of nothing as a tickle
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 19:21   #35
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

As a businessman, I am sure you didn't move/stay through loyalty, but because it made sense fiscally.....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 19:55   #36
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Maybe not. But spending 20 years with the same company, and moving all phone lines, TV and BB (including business services), certainly does constitute loyalty. Especially when I have had no end of problems with CS.

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

I see you have been ignoring my comments about the drinking chocolate....apparently that's all my loyalty is worth.

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Hey, don't complain. At least you got a sachet of nothing as a tickle
Did it say the drinking chocolate was a tickle? that reminds me of the time my bank (SMILE) sent me some sunflower seeds to sow
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 20:22   #37
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

I wonder if they will try and entice 10/20Meg customers like myself onto 30/50Meg.
(One way of retiring the Ambit 256 and any others using old technology)
Another user since C&W days, how time has passed?
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 21:39   #38
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Yay it's official.

Yep all 50Mb customers are being upgraded to 100Mb progressively.

Sorry to disappoint but 100Mb customers are not being upgraded to 200Mb, they're having their price dropped to the 50Mb price of £25/month if taken with a phone line.

100Mb will probably be subject to STM with this upgrade / price reduction, details to be confirmed.

I'm being upgraded in March 2012 if they ever get around to doing the ****ing upstream upgrades here.

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
I wonder if they will try and entice 10/20Meg customers like myself onto 30/50Meg.
If you've a Superhub or VMNG 300 you'll be upgraded to 30Mb else if you're a 10Mb customer you'll go to 20Mb, if you're a 20Mb customer you'll go to 30Mb.

For the bored the 30Mb upgrade is to 60Mb.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 22:07   #39
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

that is going to be their sneaky way of getting round 100mbit not being stm'd. I just hope they set some realistic limits because you can download a tonne of stuff in no time at all without even realising it. I left some uploads going uncapped the other day just to see what I could do and I maxed out just over 1mb/sec and uploaded 3gb before i even realised it. I could never do that on 50mbit.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 22:37   #40
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

This is interesting. SO how do we know when we'll be upgraded? and what about upload speeds? Im sure this is a war against BT Infinity.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 22:38   #41
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

For this Tickle you will only get the upgrade if you get an e-mail. You'll then get further details when they do the upgrade next year
Old 08-12-2011, 07:37   #42
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

I'd rather pay my current 100mb bill than be subject to STM
Old 08-12-2011, 07:48   #43
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
I'd rather pay my current 100mb bill than be subject to STM
very good point dude, I have made a couple of comments over the last week about how it has been blasting away on newsgroups and stuff in the afternoon/evening when 50mbit used to crawl to a halt. Upload speed has been fantastic as well.

I would rather pay the extra £10 a month than be stm'd. VM can put all those extra £10s together and use it for upgrades rather than banging everyone up to 100mbit, killing the network and then we only get 50mbit anyway
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:49   #44
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I see your 1994 and raise you Nynex in June 1993
Mine was CableNorthwest in 93 or 94 not exactly sure which but as soon as they laid the cable we got connected.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:39   #45
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
They won't have to! After speaking to someone in Retentions yesterday, they confirmed to me (after a game of 20 questions) that it had been suggested in various meetings that 10mb will be on the way out at somepoint to make 30mb/50mb and 100mb the only tiers available as its too confusing to customers having all the different options currently.
They also confirmed that at present they have the following connections speeds available

2mb (for as they classes it 'the little old granny in the village'
10mb
20mb
30mb
100mb

So really it does make sense to migrate everyone onto a more simpler grading scale.

Again, this is what the Retentions person told me, dont shoot the messenger lol.
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote