Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 01-03-2014, 08:06   #2356
badhairday
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
badhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Virgin will be soon doubling my d/l speed which is great, sometime in the next or following quarter....BUT I and probably WE all have it already.
I use a VPN and its great for what I need but it does slow down D/L speed a little until now.
I did a speed test while using the VPN and it was double what I have without it.
I was flabbergasted my flabber was truly gasted. Checked again on regular internet and it was back to 30mgs.
So it is obvious to me that my speed is being throttled until the big announcement by VM that they have doubled my speed !
So if you peeps have a vpn try it now see what your speeds are.
Now we can get the use of faster d/ls today than be kept waiting by VM.
I can understand the business strategy of VM in doing this as I am sure they can understand why we want to circumvent it .
badhairday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2014, 10:17   #2357
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

sorry dude but it doesn't work that way
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 16:18   #2358
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhairday View Post
I did a speed test while using the VPN and it was double what I have without it.
I was flabbergasted my flabber was truly gasted. Checked again on regular internet and it was back to 30mgs.
You can't trust the reliability of most speed test site results thought a VPN as there are a few factors involved that can totally screw the numbers up. The faster speed you saw was a false result. You won't get faster than the speed VM have sold you.

There are a few exceptions when a faster VPN result can be true, such as when it routes you around a congested peering point for example, but generally you shouldn't believe the usual speed test sites results if you are connected to a VPN.

As an example, I one got an 65Mbit upload speed when connected via a VPN yet I only had 40 down/10 upload from Sky at the time.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 22:02   #2359
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Compression.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 19:14   #2360
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

I just can't get my head round it. Because peoples say here, they got 152Mb with 8 downstream on the superhub, while other still got 6 downstream on the superhub but both still same max out speed 160Mb?

What's so special about downstream 6 or 8 on the hub?
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 19:28   #2361
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by telfordcable View Post
I just can't get my head round it. Because peoples say here, they got 152Mb with 8 downstream on the superhub, while other still got 6 downstream on the superhub but both still same max out speed 160Mb?

It just means some of us are special. If we're getting 152 on 6 channels, then we'll get bumped to 202 (and probably 20 up) when we go to 8. If you're on 8 channels and only getting 152 then maybe it's time to cancel as VM are being evil and ripping you off .

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 20:42   #2362
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by telfordcable View Post

My response is less grim. It's not very technical either.

My understanding is that those areas that have been re-segmented to alleviate congestion have mostly modems on 8 channels DS rather than 6. You can deliver 152Mb or more in areas that haven't been re-segmented, but users would be more susceptible to the effects of congestion. They will achieve 160Mb in tests at times when their local cabinet or node isn't being heavily used, e.g. just for surfing. There will be times when they are more likely to get less than 152Mb than those on 8 channels.

Somebody add to this or put me right if needs be.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 18:10   #2363
2old4this
cf.addict

2old4this is on a distinguished road2old4this is on a distinguished road

broadband has been supercharged from up to 60Mb to a whopping up to 100Mb.

i done speed test only getting 40mb do need to give them a call?
2old4this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 18:23   #2364
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

No, you need to do a wired speed test
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote