Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hacked/online game

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BSOD Help

Old 22-07-2009, 23:41   #1
terryw
Inactive

terryw is an unknown quantity at this point
BSOD Help

My friends PC has BSOD, and I am trying to fix it, any help would be brilliant.
The STOP Code is:
0x000008e
0x0000005
0x820c1e24
0xABF9439C
0X00000000

Thanks
terryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-07-2009, 23:46   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: BSOD Help

If you can access your own computer here are some youtube videos with BSOD fix guides http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oITxnPGSHvM
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 23:55   #3
terryw
Inactive

Do you have any information regarding the STOP Code?
I can't get into SafeMode right now, I only have standard keyboard and the PC am working on only has a USB option.
Old 23-07-2009, 08:05   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Could be a lot of things, as this google search of MS shows.
Start by asking what's changed - new program installed, new driver?
If 'nothing's changed' it could be bad RAM and you could try memtestx86 to test it.
Otherwise, what OS & patch level and when does the BSOD happen?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 08:53   #5
zing_deleted

XP Vista ?

Do you get to windows? if so right click my computer select manage and event view have a look around for errors at the time of the crashes. Is the system clean ie no dust around the heat sink possibly causing over heating?

If nothing becomes apparent doing that lot then as Aragon says run memtest86 and see if your rams good update all system drives such as gfx chipset etc
Old 23-07-2009, 10:53   #6
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

Drivers...probably video drivers - at least that what it seems to alwasy be for me

Need to get to safemode to remove and update.
Else take out the video card, but you will unlikely see naythign then lol
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 13:16   #7
terryw
Inactive

Its Vista.
No AV software will open.
The BSOD was happening when I tried to install HiJackThis, but my friend says it happens a few times.
Old 23-07-2009, 13:26   #8
zing_deleted

download malwarebytes and change the name of the exe before you try to install it see if you can run a scan of that without it crashing. You need to rule out hardware it seems software to me but until you have monitored temps checked the heat sink and checked the ram we will be no closer
Old 23-07-2009, 13:43   #9
terryw
Inactive

Thanks zing, tried that. Malwarebytes installed but it won't run, even in SafeMode.

What to do next? I wanted to just wipe it but my friend wants me to fix it

Just got BSOD when I tried to install HiJackThis log again.
Old 23-07-2009, 13:49   #10
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Forget AV/malware for now - does it run any programs without crashing? eg open up Windows Media & Paint & a few others.
If it's random programs that crash it, I would say more likely hardware, prob memory - so download memtest an run if offline for a while.
Old 23-07-2009, 13:56   #11
terryw
Inactive

Memtest won't run.
AVG pops up when I open IE stating 2 threats, but says the vault is full.
It doesn't get BSOD when doing the usual stuff like paint or IE. I will try youtube now see what happens.
Old 23-07-2009, 14:08   #12
markknell
Inactive

markknell is on a distinguished roadmarkknell is on a distinguished road

Download Windows debugging tools. You can find the 32-bit tools from the link below but there is a link for the 64bit tools if you need them on the same page:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

Once installed, open WinDbg, click on File and then click Open Crash Dump...

Then navigate to your MEMORY.DMP file which should be in your SystemRoot (usually C:\windows or c:\winnt). Once you open the file the debugger should run through and give you a likely candidate at the bottom.
markknell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 14:19   #13
Aragorn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryw View Post
Memtest won't run.
AVG pops up when I open IE stating 2 threats, but says the vault is full.
It doesn't get BSOD when doing the usual stuff like paint or IE. I will try youtube now see what happens.
Memtest is supposed to be downloaded as an ISO, burnt to CD and booted from.
However, if AVG is reporting threats - what threats? Can you open the vault? The fact that only AV's & HJT crash it would concur with a nasty.
If not you have two options -
find a keyboard that allows you to go safe mode
reinstall
The latter will probably be more secure.
Old 23-07-2009, 14:27   #14
markknell
Inactive

markknell is on a distinguished roadmarkknell is on a distinguished road

Run MSCONFIG and click on 'Selective startup' then untick 'Load startup items' and reboot - This may help stop whatever is causing the issue from loading unless its a driver issue which means you will need to run through the post I made before about WinDbg.
markknell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 14:35   #15
Aragorn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by markknell View Post
Run MSCONFIG and click on 'Selective startup' then untick 'Load startup items' and reboot - This may help stop whatever is causing the issue from loading unless its a driver issue which means you will need to run through the post I made before about WinDbg.
Imho, a malware that is able to selectively crash when AV/Malware killers run is unlikely to allow MSConfig to run and/or is unlikely to be stopped by MSConfig selections.