Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Car expert needed (Paintwork)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Car expert needed (Paintwork)

Old 01-06-2006, 22:02   #16
budwieser
cf.mega poster

budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
Re: Car expert needed (Paintwork)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja
Actually now you mention it is is starting to happen a little bit there too, the worst by far is the Drivers door.
Normally, if you paint the bonnet, you have to blend the wings so you can`t tell the colour difference. Sounds like your car has been either, painted for stonechips or painted because of accident damage.
budwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2006, 22:04   #17
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Not sure mate - all i know is that its flaking and i would like to know what to do with it.

Is the bodyshop my only option here?
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 22:26   #18
pop80_uk
Inactive

pop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant future

Take it to a body shop and get it mopped. This removes the top layer of laquer, I believe the MX5 had 4 coats, and should be cheaper than a flash over and bring your car back to a shiny finish.
The problem is red! The pigments in red paint fade quickly and turn pink, its all to do with the way the pigments refract light. Red cars fade after time.....so fading is the real problem you will have with your MX5.

Hope this helps!
pop80_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 22:57   #19
budwieser
cf.mega poster

budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop80_uk
Take it to a body shop and get it mopped. This removes the top layer of laquer, I believe the MX5 had 4 coats, and should be cheaper than a flash over and bring your car back to a shiny finish.
The problem is red! The pigments in red paint fade quickly and turn pink, its all to do with the way the pigments refract light. Red cars fade after time.....so fading is the real problem you will have with your MX5.

Hope this helps!
Mopping doesn`t take the top layer of lacquer off, all it does is take out imperfections in the finish.
If the lacquer is flaking off, the only real soloution is to take it back to metal and repaint it.
Mostly with Reds, the problem is either inferior quality paint, ie cellulose, or being a solid colour, not being looked after properly, or, the prep work not being done properly.
Old 01-06-2006, 23:12   #20
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

So, basically, without a big paint job, im kinda screwed then?
Old 01-06-2006, 23:15   #21
budwieser
cf.mega poster

Quote:
So, basically, without a big paint job, im kinda screwed then?
Without saying it, yes.!
Old 01-06-2006, 23:34   #22
pop80_uk
Inactive

pop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwieser
Without saying it, yes.!
Not totally it depends the extent of the laquer peel, is it orange peeling, trick chipping or has water got under it. Laquer peel does not mean a total re-spray either as a good body shop (few years ago whilst at uni I worked in one) would rub back the laquer and re-laquer, not do a total re-spray unless required.

Pigment is also a major factor in paint fade, I agree with the other factors as well you listed but the chemical decomposition due to the actual pigment of the paint was a huge factor in paint technology some 10 years ago when the posters MX5 was produced. And a correct mop actually removes the top layer of paint / laquer.

Without seeing pictures of your car I can not comment totally but from what you have said Id say a full re-spray is not needed. Just my opinion.
Old 01-06-2006, 23:39   #23
budwieser
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Not totally it depends the extent of the laquer peel, is it orange peeling, trick chipping or has water got under it. Laquer peel does not mean a total re-spray either as a good body shop (few years ago whilst at uni I worked in one) would rub back the laquer and re-laquer, not do a total re-spray unless required.

Pigment is also a major factor in paint fade, I agree with the other factors as well you listed but the chemical decomposition due to the actual pigment of the paint was a huge factor in paint technology some 10 years ago when the posters MX5 was produced. And a correct mop actually removes the top layer of paint / laquer.

Without seeing pictures of your car I can not comment totally but from what you have said Id say a full re-spray is not needed. Just my opinion.
Hi mate, i didn`t say a full respray was needed if you`ll re-read my post please. Orange peel just refers to the paint finish. I didn`t mention that.
You could wetflat the paintwork but you couldn`t be sure that the flaking/crazing/whatever could not be prevented from coming back again, could it.
I`ve worked in bodyshops for the last 24 years. I`m not a painter but i do have more than an inkling about what i`m suggesting here.
Old 01-06-2006, 23:51   #24
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Fight, Fight, Fight

I think the easiest way to solve this is to take it into a bodyshop and see what they say.
Old 01-06-2006, 23:55   #25
budwieser
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Fight, Fight, Fight

I think the easiest way to solve this is to take it into a bodyshop and see what they say.
Please do mate, but i`m only giving my opinion as to what was asked of my thoughts, it`s really hard without seeing the car to be honest,.
No offence to pop 80 and i`m sure he knows what he`s talking about, so please no more of this fighting talk!
I`m only small anyway! Lol!
Old 02-06-2006, 00:06   #26
pop80_uk
Inactive

No no no im not fighting or disrepecting anyone, I only spent 4 years in a body shop but my uncle owns a custom paint mixing factory so I know a little from him. Im sure you know your stuff budwiser no doubt matey

Without seeing it its really difficult to say whats best or not best just take it to a good body shop. It may turn out its cheaper to get 2nd hand pannels in your colour than have the body shop do anything to it though
Old 02-06-2006, 00:10   #27
budwieser
cf.mega poster

Quote:
No no no im not fighting or disrepecting anyone, I only spent 4 years in a body shop but my uncle owns a custom paint mixing factory so I know a little from him. Im sure you know your stuff budwiser no doubt matey

Without seeing it its really difficult to say whats best or not best just take it to a good body shop. It may turn out its cheaper to get 2nd hand pannels in your colour than have the body shop do anything to it though
Second hand panels will not match the painted panels on the vehicle so, thats` a big no no to start with.
Just do what i suggested tbr.
Old 02-06-2006, 15:15   #28
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

Out of interest how much is a respray nowadays?
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 15:24   #29
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Sombody told me that i could get it done for about 800 quid, but that was only external panels.

So essentially if i wanted to change the color then i would also need to do internal panels (like sills, underside of the bonnet, boot etc.) and that would be about 1500 quid.

Dont know if that still holds true though.
Old 02-06-2006, 15:33   #30
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

Bloody hell I didn't know it cost that much! I could get a decent car for that price!
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote