Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | True Speed Test........?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

True Speed Test........?

Old 29-01-2006, 01:31   #16
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: True Speed Test........?

Tried it with and without a proxy

must be a local issue (CM20)

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:06 ----------

I've even added it to ZA to allow access.

---------- Post added at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was at 00:22 ----------

Are you connected to the modem via a router, or are you directly connected to the modem?
Old 29-01-2006, 01:40   #17
KevAmiga
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, SH2. Phone, Mobile.
KevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to KevAmiga Send a message via Yahoo to KevAmiga

Connected via a Linksys router, dont think that makes any odds tho.
KevAmiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 01:45   #18
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I connect via a belkin router.

I don't know why I cannot connect to it
Old 29-01-2006, 03:20   #19
KevAmiga
Inactive

KevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really nice

Dunno... odd tho i still can and im not browsing from cache...
Old 29-01-2006, 04:36   #20
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

it seems bad designed page, I click a link nothing happens but cpu load shoots up and its downloading data in the background without a download window, so I think its processing it as ascii or something.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 19:51   #21
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

I tried this on my dads PC and got through

So is this related to Pop-up blocker or ZA firewall?
Old 30-01-2006, 01:54   #22
KevAmiga
Inactive

Quote:
So is this related to Pop-up blocker or ZA firewall?
Hmm dunno how ...?
Old 30-01-2006, 07:15   #23
festoid
Inactive

Services: 10Mb Broadband [ish]
festoid is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by APS
Has anyone noticed that the Speedtest in the navbar gives different, more pessimistic answers, than Robin Walkers on ntlhellworld. This is not due to the different files sizes but the calculations from bytes per sec to bits per second which are different by 10% or so. Example:

Robnin Walker

Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:14:45 UTC
1st 128K took 719 ms = 182298 Bytes/sec = approx 1517 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 718 ms = 182552 Bytes/sec = approx 1519 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 704 ms = 186182 Bytes/sec = approx 1549 kbits/sec

Cableforum a little later:

Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:20:17 UTC

1st 512K took 2827 ms = 181.1 KB/sec, approx 1376 Kbps, 1.3 Mbps
2nd 512K took 2828 ms = 181 KB/sec, approx 1376 Kbps, 1.3 Mbps
3rd 512K took 2858 ms = 179.1 KB/sec, approx 1361 Kbps, 1.3 Mbps
4th 512K took 2875 ms = 178.1 KB/sec, approx 1354 Kbps, 1.3 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1367 Kbps, 1.3 Mbps

Look at the figures around 182 KB/sec which are translated to 1520 for RW and 1370 for Cableforum.

Who has the maths wrong?

APS
The file sizes are 4 times larger on cableforum, could account for the differences.
festoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 14:42   #24
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by festoid
The file sizes are 4 times larger on cableforum, could account for the differences.
It would explain the fact that the cable forum test gives more consistent results and is not subject to some errors due to the limited resolution of PC clocks, but it does not explain why the calcuations from bytes per sec to bits/sec is different. It looks like the cable forum test gives a reading that is >10% too low, which if true, doesn't help when people are currently complaining of slow connections (although most suffer more than a 10% problem).

APS
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 16:50   #25
georgepomone
Inactive

Services: Tivo. VIP 120 Pack.
georgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to allgeorgepomone is a name known to all

Hi All,
it's zipping along with this £34 connection.

Wed, 1 Feb 2006 15:45:31 UTC

1st 512K took 3055 ms = 167.6 KB/sec, approx 1274 Kbps, 1.2 Mbps
2nd 512K took 2844 ms = 180 KB/sec, approx 1368 Kbps, 1.3 Mbps
3rd 512K took 2674 ms = 191.5 KB/sec, approx 1455 Kbps, 1.4 Mbps
4th 512K took 2624 ms = 195.1 KB/sec, approx 1483 Kbps, 1.4 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1395 Kbps, 1.33 Mbps

To repeat the test please click here

Please note that these results should only be considered approximate as many factors can affect a speed test.
I make no further comment.
George.
georgepomone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:58   #26
mob227
Inactive

Services: Technomate tm-1500ci sat, dreambox sat, pace 810 HD sat , Topfield, channel master 1.2 & 1.8m dish's
mob227 is on a distinguished roadmob227 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevAmiga
If you want to test the raw connection speed (ie a file from the NTL network), there is a nice 50mb txt file here > http://proxycheck.ntl.com
it asks for a password

---------- Post added at 11:58 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

Thanks, i did that test and it seems im suffering from some packet loss how do i correct that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C
The most accurate one I have found is Dan Elwill's speed test (http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net).

Site hosted tests have the disadvantage that if the server is heavily loaded, any tests hosted on that server will underperform.
mob227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 19:44   #27
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

The CF test has been altered to open in a seperate window as the vbulletin gzipping was intefering too much with it.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 00:47   #28
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I have a test up now that utilises port 81 and port 80, I will probably post it in the proxy section so people can try both links and see how much affects the proxies have.

Thanks to paul for the code.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 20:20   #29
JamShady
Inactive

JamShady is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevAmiga
If you want to test the raw connection speed (ie a file from the NTL network), there is a nice 50mb txt file here > http://proxycheck.ntl.com
It's asking me for a username and password. The domain is "By Invitation Only"
JamShady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 14:01   #30
tubbles
Inactive

Services: Ntl digital TV and Bells and whistles mmmmm 10mb Broadband 8)
tubbles is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having the same problem Jam. nothing much shows up on the page but it then asks for user name & password. Tried root root and nothing, but i did get them from another thread lol. Hey I thought it was worth a try. I have a 2mb connection and i can download from binary newsgroups at 230kb/s which seems fast to me. have recently had lots of trouble with web browsing though and had to keep switching on and off the cable box downstairs. Who says computer users get no exercise lol. NTL have our health interests in mind when issuing all the dodgy connectivity devices I have never run around so much.
tubbles is offline   Reply With Quote