Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Benefit cuts are fuelling abuse of disabled people, say charities

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Benefit cuts are fuelling abuse of disabled people, say charities

Old 10-02-2012, 10:51   #61
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: Benefit cuts are fuelling abuse of disabled people, say charities

I have noticed a change in attitude towards me with regards my problems both out and about and on here, most recently when I got my motabilty car.

Some of the public and private comments were colourful to say the least.

But yup the general attitude towards myself has got much worse and I've been told I'm a scrounged / faker so much I tend to even wonder if I should claim anything.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2012, 10:59   #62
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
I have noticed a change in attitude towards me with regards my problems both out and about and on here, most recently when I got my motabilty car.

Some of the public and private comments were colourful to say the least.

But yup the general attitude towards myself has got much worse and I've been told I'm a scrounged / faker so much I tend to even wonder if I should claim anything.
l know dilli as l have noticed the same general change in attitude by some people and l just ignore them as the are the ignorant narrow minded ones in all this.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:01   #63
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l know dilli as l have noticed the same general change in attitude by some people and l just ignore them as the are the ignorant narrow minded ones in all this.
It upsets me that I'm thought of like that and despite trying I can't ignore it.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:02   #64
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Divide & conquer - it rarely fails if the parties involved are stupid enough not to realize what's actually going on.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:08   #65
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
It upsets me that I'm thought of like that and despite trying I can't ignore it.
l know some people can't but going off topic for just one post and it was when l was younger l had many racist taunts aimed at me and first of all l found it hard but after a while l developed a thick skin and just ignored them and thats what l do now with regards to peoples attitudes towards me because of my illness and disibilities.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25   #66
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Beats me why anyone would regard a registered blind man as a scrounger.I cannot understand the mind set.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:43   #67
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

I think with some people it's down to jealousy, resentment, or purely because the person/s are seen to be flashing the cash.

I have neighbours who are on benefits and have a mobility car. they are out shopping everyday and come back with loads of shopping. (food/furniture/electrical/etc)

they do think highly of themselves, and that kind of attitude is the kind of attitude that will and does attract the resentment.

I suppose if they were to just act poor it would take some of the attention away
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:10   #68
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Well I suspect it wouldn't matter if dilly had a full time job(which he would prefer) some would still assume he was a scrounger.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:50   #69
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
Divide & conquer - it rarely fails if the parties involved are stupid enough not to realize what's actually going on.
My dad said exactly the same to me on this.

My sister went on a rant about how all claimants have messed up her life making her pay high taxes etc. Then my dad simply pointed out that the current situation on welfare is nothing new, fraud has always existed for decades etc. and that he can see right through whats going on in that they getting people fighting with each other. Fraud is almost certianly lower now than decades ago as welfare has toughened up not softened up. Now my dad has in the past moaned about people on the dole etc. so it says a lot that he came out with that.

Just about noone on DLA or IB will be above 26k and only probably if they got kids.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:53   #70
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

I feel that the disabled are scapegoats for the weathy and major buisnesses, who have caused this mess in the first place, I hope they remember what they have done and they do the right thing next time there is an election!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 13:49   #71
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Well I suspect it wouldn't matter if dilly had a full time job(which he would prefer) some would still assume he was a scrounger.
sadly true damned if you damned if you dont.

I wish papers and sheep DLA not means tested yet the equally you can work with it.

The persacution down to government claiming welfare gone up. Well why dont they break it down show the figures. I would say tax credit biggest drain increase not say we should not but not expense allowing business not to pay fair wages.

Infact not suprised Disabled gone up your bound to see increase when medication prolongs life and more accidents happen. Many through no fault there own injured long term or become another disabled statistic. What do people who attack them want them to stop taking medication die. Those been hurt not to get support they entitled.

Worried we endanger of people crashing the safety net that many need. Then again many sheep out there who going around with there nasty atitude probably want that. However I bet they would be first to be screaming if they became disabled for support if the safety net was completely removed.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 18:54   #72
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Not the optimal way to have a reasoned conversation with those who may not totally and fully agree with all your views by calling them "sheep", imho....

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 21:08   #73
RizzyKing

I don't subscribe to the sheep idea but what i do think is that right now people's personal finances are hurting and like everyone when they are hurting they want to lash out at someone and right now with the campaign that seems to be going on we sick and disabled are a perfect scapegoat for all that ill's ya. Difference between now and the past when disabled people were not attacked is a more hostile media and a oppurtunistic government that finds itself being handed a scapegoat on a plate and doesn't have the political fortitude to resist using it.

I would like to think people could be educated on the issue but sadly i don't think that is easily done or something that could be achieved in general terms with the general public they see us on our odd good day and judge us completely on it. We really are getting to the point where you are totally damned if you do and damned if you don't. I dearly wish writing "fit for work" on a form made it so because i would be so much happier being fit, able to work and having a job but not how life works.

Problem is more people have my attitude and would dearly love to work but cannot then are defrauding the system but as long as the media keeps highlighting the fringe cases and reporting them as the norm it simply isn't going to get any better for any claimant.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:33   #74
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Tax credits without a doubt are a much bigger drain however they are given out to far more people so although they may get targeted as well they wont get the same media propoganda against them.

Classic examples.

We had martyh post HB fraud figures as a way to justify attacking the disabled when they seperate parts of welfare.
We have newspapers loving to find people with 4+ kids who will be on high amounts of child benefits and then the government sees that as an excuse to attack the disabled.
We have the bbc who seemed to just think everyone is fiddling sickness benefits and going out looking for them.

Its going to get worse before it gets better, it will bottom out when people are dieing in the streets and en masse and the government starts getting sued successfully at which point they will have realised its gone too far.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:46   #75
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Re Tax Credits - the Government must have been listening to you....

BBC
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote