Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How to opt-out BT's text to speech

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

No dial tone, fault finding help

Old 18-11-2012, 17:13   #1
Brungle
Inactive

Brungle is an unknown quantity at this point
No dial tone, fault finding help

Hi guys,

I've currently got a virgin media phone line TV, broadband etc.
I have a fault with my phone line where by I have no dial tone its been like this for months now, originally started with a crackly line. Anyway I've been trying to resolve the fault myself as I'd like to avoid waiting in all day for an engineer (I struggle to get time off work). & I wanted to avoid a call out charge if it was my internal wiring to blaim.
I'd really appreciate some help off you guys please.

I've been testing with a very basic telephone which has no seperate power plug, I bought the phone brand new when we originally lost the dial tone as I suspected it was my other wireless phone that was at fault.

this is what I've tried so far:
- pop the front off the master socket, and plug the phone directly into the internal test socket.
-review the wiring within the master socket, only 2 wires actually connected, from what I've read this is normal. Points wired up were A (white with blue specs) & B (blue with white specs) as per pic.
also tried wiring the above wires derectly to points 2 and 5 of the pull of part of the socket.
-I decided to have a look at the box outside where the cable meets my house. I notice there are 2 leads, 1 for the TV/Broadband COAX and one for the mult strand phone cable. I found that the original installer looks to have cut the phone cable too short and has extended it using scotchlock type devices to extend the cable into the house (see pic). The external box wasn't exactly sealed so I assumed these connections were to blame so to do some testing I redid the connection using terminal blocks.
-Terminal blocks didn't fix the issue so I did a continuity test on the internal socket using A and B to the corresponding output pin on the phone jack socket. --This appeared to work ok no broken connection.
I suspected my terminal blocks maybe hadn't worked so I removed them and held the 2 in use cores from the external (black) cable directly onto the phone plug on the correct pins. still no dial tone...

could it be that as the phone has no power plug I actually need to wire more than 2 cores from the cable on the outside feed for it to work correctly. or does it sound like there is a problem with the line from my house to the green cable/virgin box?

thanks for reading, any input greatly appreciated!

Brungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-11-2012, 19:15   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: No dial tone, fault finding help

its more likely to be in the street, your probably wasting your time, if its not working in the test socket you wont be charged so dont worry
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote