Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:42   #31
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tivo

If you read the article, it's talking about iPhone-style apps running on the box itself, not an iPhone remote record app (which I would also expect). I'd hope for an Android variant as well.

This is looking good. Sign me up!
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2010, 12:49   #32
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

[QUOTE=Perfect Choice;35107892]I thought the comment was iphone style, not meaning you had to have an iphone but the ability to download additional applications to your TIVO box as you would from apple store today if you had an iphone (which is my work phone by the way so yes I may be biased!)[/QUOTE

That's like Google tv additional apps that sounds ok and I'm not knocking iPhone great phones I personally have an Android HTC Desire.

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

[QUOTE=muppetman11;35107897]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
I thought the comment was iphone style, not meaning you had to have an iphone but the ability to download additional applications to your TIVO box as you would from apple store today if you had an iphone (which is my work phone by the way so yes I may be biased!)[/QUOTE

That's like Google tv additional apps that sounds ok and I'm not knocking iPhone great phones I personally have an Android HTC Desire.
What price would you expect it to launch at ?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:55   #33
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

No idea of price, hoping there will be an upgrade price for customers on triple pack or XL TV package. They talk of a soft launch so something will limit supply at the start.
Old 12-10-2010, 13:14   #34
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Id like to see them charge say 99.00 so long as you commit to a bundle with Xltv for 24 months much like the mobile networks.

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

Do you think a Lovefilm app allowing you to stream movies will be a no no with Virgin having filmflex , I noticed the US TIVO Premiere has Netflix.
Old 12-10-2010, 13:15   #35
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Would go with that but to be honest I suspect we will be looking at £199 as the price at launch as they will still have plenty of demand. I hope I am wrong!
Old 12-10-2010, 13:26   #36
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I've seen the tivo box.

What it can do will blow away anything SKY+ and V+ can do.

The only criticism is the styling and materials, it doesn't look very good.(Well not the one I saw, but that can always change)

Also, it's not there to compete with Sky+, FV+ or any other DTV product out there. It's a step above them all. So expect it to be priced accordingly
Old 12-10-2010, 13:45   #37
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I've seen the tivo box.

What it can do will blow away anything SKY+ and V+ can do.

The only criticism is the styling and materials, it doesn't look very good.(Well not the one I saw, but that can always change)

Also, it's not there to compete with Sky+, FV+ or any other DTV product out there. It's a step above them all. So expect it to be priced accordingly
Virgin will have to be sensible on pricing as good as the box maybe the fact is Virgin don't offer the range of channels that Sky do (both SD and HD). The Sky Terrabyte box is 299.00 so I believe Virgin will have to keep within this range or take up will be poor.
Old 12-10-2010, 14:01   #38
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Virgin will have to be sensible on pricing as good as the box maybe the fact is Virgin don't offer the range of channels that Sky do (both SD and HD). The Sky Terrabyte box is 299.00 so I believe Virgin will have to keep within this range or take up will be poor.
As I understand, it will be around that price.
Old 12-10-2010, 14:16   #39
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
As I understand, it will be around that price.
Virgin TV customers generally take lower packages or value bundles so I can't see to.many takers at that price.
Old 12-10-2010, 14:39   #40
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Remember that the V+ used to cost £250 and the were plenty of takers, so regardless of cost I fully expect TiVo to have a large takeup at launch.
Old 12-10-2010, 14:42   #41
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Remember that the V+ used to cost £250 and the were plenty of takers, so regardless of cost I fully expect TiVo to have a large takeup at launch.
Any idea of when people will be able to order the TIVO ?
Old 12-10-2010, 14:57   #42
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
When was that? I remember ordering V+ (TV Drive) on the day it was released and it was £50 install at the time. £300 is a lot of money for a rented box in my opinion.
Old 12-10-2010, 15:39   #43
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

I'd point out that when V+ was released, there was a fairly large pent up demand - Sky+ had been around for ages and VM took their sweet time to roll the late-to-the-party TV Drive out to everyone. They need to be careful to not over-price this admittedly shiny bit of kit, especially when you'll never actually own it.

I'd say £149 upfront, plus (max!) a tenner a month. Anything more, and they've lost the plot with the perceived value of the thing. Unless there's no additional monthly fee in which case I'd quite happily go to the £299 mentioned above. This would be pretty surprising given TiVO's usual business model, but I'll freely admit that's gone out of the window now!
Old 12-10-2010, 15:47   #44
Rattus
Inactive

Rattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enough

I originally got a TVdrive through telewest, on the beta trial, for free install and £5 pm (was £10pm at launch). I don't remember it ever been more than the standard £50 install charge.

Unlike sky if you never own the box, there is no way they will get away with charging a large fee for the Tivo. Maybe an install and charge, but talk of £299 charges just seems wide of the mark to me, unless the box is going to belong to you.

Anyone know how they are conducting the trial this time? Last time there was a webform to register interest and people on that list were contacted for a trial. This time there seems to be no such sign up.
Old 12-10-2010, 18:01   #45
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

In my opinion 299 is to much especially when you never own the box and I believe they'll have a hard time trying to get people to pay a monthly fee , the dearest I remember V+ was 150 but I could be wrong. To me 199 and no monthly charge if you commit to a 18 month contract and take XL TV seems fair.

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

Another problem with pricing to high is other competitors http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11521742
Closed Thread