Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ping Test

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Connection problems solent

Old 02-04-2009, 11:12   #1
veeemmm

Connection problems solent

Until recently I used the stb for broadband. (2Meg) Just recently I started using a cable modem which was sent to me a few months ago. (Didn't use it initially as they didn't send the cables and the intermittent problem with the led light flashing on the stb was not so bad)

Both stb and cable modem were working. I know the stb broadband probably should have been deactivated but it wasn't. So the last few weeks I have mainly continued to use the stb (more convenient, until the 10Mb upgrades) but on busy days or when the stb light started flashing I would switch to the cable modem.

About 1am April 1st, I lost connection whilst surfing via stb. I assumed the stb light was flashing (didn't check) but rather than reboot it or switch to the modem, I just switching off. Later in the morning, neither modem or stb were working for broadband, even after reboots. All the right lights were lit and constant, which is unusual - normally when it stops working the lights indicate this.

I called support (expecting to be told there was an area fault) but was told I needed an engineer visit which has been booked. She said something about the modem mac address not being good. (I did hear on the phone announcement something about a national issue with stb broadband affecting some people)

Anyway, thought I would try again today and the stb is working now but the modem isn't.

Any ideas what is going on? I would prefer to cancel the engineer visit if it is not necessary but maybe they need to swap the modem for some reason?

What happens when not working, is that if I try to XP "repair" the connection, it tries to renew the IP address but eventually fails with "Little or no connection".

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2009, 12:19   #2
veeemmm

Re: Connection problems solent

So today the cable modem is working also and the engineer visit hasn't happened yet. No one have any ideas what is happening before I cancel the visit?

Is it worth looking at the signal levels. Or would this be indicated in the leds. Sync and ready have been lit and steady throughout this problem. If needed can you point me at what numbers to check. (I'm new to cable modems as opposed to the stb)

---------- Post added at 10:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

Should http://192.168.100.1/ tell me signal levels etc. If just gives version numbers etc. Browser complains if I put in root:root. Ex NTL/C+W

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

Just called to cancel the visit. Was kept on hold for ten minutes only to be told she could not cancel the visit at this time but that it will be done and the engineer will not call.

I asked what the problem might have been and was told "sometimes with electronic equipment it gets stuck" so there you go, if you are without the services you are paying Virgin Media, for 48 hours or more, don't worry it's just the "electronic equipment it gets stuck".