Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Default Login/password Virgin Media Modem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

business cable 4mb?

Old 23-10-2007, 01:10   #1
Jonathan90
Inactive

Jonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really nice
business cable 4mb?

just wondering that website http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/ has 4mb for 30 quid do they still do this
Jonathan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-10-2007, 03:10   #2
cybernetic_tiger
Inactive

cybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant future
Re: business cable 4mb?

Yes I believe it is still available... just give them a call.

http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk...broadband.aspx
cybernetic_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 08:13   #3
AmAtoL
cf.addict

Services: 20 meg BB , 3 Samsung STB's, Landline, 4 Mobiles, V+ Box, UK Online 8 Meg
AmAtoL will become famous soon enoughAmAtoL will become famous soon enoughAmAtoL will become famous soon enough

What exactly are the criteria they set as to what constitutes a business ?

I can see an awful lot of one man bands springing up in the near future :p

Knowing this lot it will turn out to be no better than the substandard service we have at the moment.
AmAtoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 10:14   #4
Jonathan90
Inactive

Jonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really nice

thanks for reply cybernetic tiger but will they allow business cable in residential area and will they move me to a new ubr for businesses because my ubr is overloaded by far
Old 23-10-2007, 14:55   #5
broadbandbug
Inactive

broadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan90 View Post
thanks for reply cybernetic tiger but will they allow business cable in residential area and will they move me to a new ubr for businesses because my ubr is overloaded by far
AFAIK it is the same UBRs etc just a different config file.
broadbandbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 15:09   #6
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandbug View Post
AFAIK it is the same UBRs etc just a different config file.
But higher priority bandwith, so your speed should be better.
Old 23-10-2007, 15:22   #7
Jonathan90
Inactive

i don't get it if theres not enough bandwidth at the ubr to support all the customers how will i get better speeds can u explain in more detail please
Old 23-10-2007, 15:30   #8
evilmonkey
Inactive

evilmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to know why you would be willing to pay a minimum of £165 per month for your broadband though!
evilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 15:39   #9
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

Quote:
i don't get it if theres not enough bandwidth at the ubr to support all the customers how will i get better speeds can u explain in more detail please
Your bandwith gets higher priority over other "normal" customers on the ubr, thus you get more of the speed.

Business users always get higher priority, and a higher contention ratio i believe (always less or 20:1)
Old 23-10-2007, 15:58   #10
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmonkey View Post
I would like to know why you would be willing to pay a minimum of £165 per month for your broadband though!
Evilmonkey, where does the £165/month come into it?
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 17:03   #11
Jonathan90
Inactive

what does continential ratio mean
Old 24-10-2007, 02:56   #12
cybernetic_tiger
Inactive

cybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant future

Quote:
what does continential ratio mean
Contention is the number of times your bandwidth is sold... i.e. if you have a 20Mb connection and a 20:1 contention ratio then 20 different households could be sharing 'your' 20Mb.

The contention ratio is 12:1 for business cable modems but is rarely a factor.
cybernetic_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 09:13   #13
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

I wonder if an insider can confirm whether business cable modems actually do get some form of higher priority service on the UBR or whether VM only claim the contention ratio based upon the traffic during "normal" business hours (when domestic traffic is light) and also because they might avoid offering the business service on overloaded UBRs.

APS
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2007, 11:01   #14
dougiefresh
Inactive

dougiefresh is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the business service get special treatment in terms of installation over and above residential? By that, I mean, would they be prepared to dig up a pathway of say 3m to install?
dougiefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2007, 14:03   #15
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

i doubt they would dig up anything, they woudl only provide over the existing lines not install cable
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote