Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Storage heaters - cost to run?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Storage heaters - cost to run?

Old 01-10-2007, 17:48   #46
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: Storage heaters - cost to run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
in that case id be buying thermal undies

I forgot everyone on this forum is a law abiding citizen
15kg of butane is 20.99
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butane
Molar mass 58.08 g/mol
Density 2.52 g/l, gas (15 °C, 1 atm)
425 and 411 kJ/mol for the two types of C-H bonds of energy with that and some stoichiometry you should be able to work out a cost ber Kw of the gas in that bottle. I would imagine it will be more than 10.5p/Kw though.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2007, 18:03   #47
zing_deleted

fairy snuff but imo Super is being skanked
Old 01-10-2007, 19:18   #48
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
A portable gas heater is not exactly cheap to run, those gas bottles are GBP20 each (if I recall).
And besides it is illegal in this case.
Oops, that was my fall back plan
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 19:36   #49
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post
Oops, that was my fall back plan
To be honest I'm guessing they are illegal as well it is a gas appliance in a tall building and could just as easily cause the same type of explosion.
I also don't think that they would save you money. Running your 2kw heater 24/7 would cost about 18 a week. I doubt if you put a 15kg gas bottle in one of those 2KW gas heaters and turned it on full the gas would last all week, an unscientific way of saying even if your electric is more than some are paying it is still cheaper to heat the place with the electric heaters than with a gas heater.
Old 01-10-2007, 19:42   #50
superbiatch
Inactive

superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star

Quote:
To be honest I'm guessing they are illegal as well it is a gas appliance in a tall building and could just as easily cause the same type of explosion.
I also don't think that they would save you money. Running your 2kw heater 24/7 would cost about 18 a week. I doubt if you put a 15kg gas bottle in one of those 2KW gas heaters and turned it on full the gas would last all week, an unscientific way of saying even if your electric is more than some are paying it is still cheaper to heat the place with the electric heaters than with a gas heater.
Thanks for simplifying that, seems i'm pretty much up the creek with a big leccy bill

Time to invest in a new coat me thinks
Old 01-10-2007, 20:02   #51
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Don't forget the thick sheepskin slippers.......
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 20:36   #52
superbiatch
Inactive

Brrrrrr.... getting a bit cold now
Old 01-10-2007, 21:00   #53
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Brrrrrr.... getting a bit cold now
I refer you to my previous offer
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 21:04   #54
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Thanks for simplifying that, seems i'm pretty much up the creek with a big leccy bill

OC you could think different if your really worryed about the cost over the winter, the old tricks work just as well today, that being keeping the cold air out and the hotter air in as much as possible by, double backing your curtains and fixing offcuts of old carpet to the door gaps at the bottom.

you can even go out an buy cheap temp winter double glazing kits for your windows and fitting these as extra thermal barriers in the cold times of year.

http://www.diyplas.co.uk/double_glaz...insulation.asp

http://www.diyplas.co.uk/Category.as...3&subcatid=176

http://www.diyplas.co.uk/Product.asp...3&subcatid=371

stopping the cold air coming in means less heat loss and so cheaper electric bills all round.

theres also nice cheap and easy stickyback draft excluders for placing around door frames on a long roll you could use to help keep out the cold.

you could even put up kite mark approved insulating ceiling tiles above a shallow false ceiling to help keep the heat in if you cant get/have access to the rafters/loft etc if your in the place for a long time.

its also a good idea to have a backup or at least an extra heat source, i like using those cheap oil filled electric stand alone radiators,they dont get very warm, but if you put one behind the wall side of your bed , the heat travels through the bed over time and its nice and warm there and in the room when you need/want it for instance.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 21:06   #55
superbiatch
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
OC you could think different if your really worryed about the cost over the winter, the old tricks work just as well today, that being keeping the cold air out and the hotter air in as much as possible by, double backing your curtains and fixing offcuts of old carpet to the door gaps at the bottom.

you can even go out an buy cheap temp winter double glazing kits for your windows and fitting these as extra thermal barriers in the cold times of year.

http://www.diyplas.co.uk/double_glaz...insulation.asp

http://www.diyplas.co.uk/Category.as...3&subcatid=176

http://www.diyplas.co.uk/Product.asp...3&subcatid=371

stopping the cold air coming in means less heat loss and so cheaper electric bills all round.

theres also nice cheap and easy stickyback draft excluders for placing around door frames on a long roll you could use to help keep out the cold.

you could even put up kite mark approved insulating ceiling tiles above a shallow false ceiling to help keep the heat in if you cont get/have access to the rafters/loft etc if your in the place for a long time.
Thanks for that, i'm really well insulated but there is always room for improvement
Old 01-10-2007, 21:27   #56
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

another one people forget, is turning down your fridge and freezers in the really cold winters, these alone take masses of electric as they constantly turn on and off the gas coolant pump, you can save a lot of electric there too if your not lucky enough to afford the best low energy applyences etc.

for fun, and semi portability (more than long term electric savings,but it would save lots), iv even looked at running a PC and LCD off solar power and a big battery pack, it can work but i cant afford the industrial batterys or a large pannel facing the large south windows yet.

LCD's use a hell of a lot less electric compaired to a generic desktop CRT monitor, as do the rather neat small car PC kits ,compaired to desktop models, these car PCs are more than good enough to browse and do everyday web stuff other than high wattage PC gameing etc.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 23:44   #57
SMHarman
Inactive

Also traditional light bulbs provide a good source of heat, see in winter that heat from the bulbs provides ambient heating as well as light

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

Quote:

Dunno about up a creek. Are you at home all day? I thought you worked. Assuming the latter
Do these things have timers or do you just switch it on. Anyway you switch it on and set a room temperature on it. For say the next hour it piles out 2kw of heat and gets the room up to temp. That has cost you 20p. For the next say 5 hours until you go to bed it is on for say 1/4 of the hour keeping the room at that temp, so 5 hours at 5p 25p. So to keep that room warm for 6 hours cousts you 45p
You might run the one in the bedroom which will have a lower current draw overnight at a lower temp so say 30m at 1kw 5p and then 8 hours at 2p 16p = 21p.

You should be able to keep the place warm for less than a quid a day on weekdays and maybe two to three on the weekend (or stay tucked up with MrLM). Don't know how that fits in your budget though.
Old 01-10-2007, 23:56   #58
superbiatch
Inactive

Quote:
Dunno about up a creek. Are you at home all day? I thought you worked. Assuming the latter
Do these things have timers or do you just switch it on. Anyway you switch it on and set a room temperature on it. For say the next hour it piles out 2kw of heat and gets the room up to temp. That has cost you 20p. For the next say 5 hours until you go to bed it is on for say 1/4 of the hour keeping the room at that temp, so 5 hours at 5p 25p. So to keep that room warm for 6 hours cousts you 45p
You might run the one in the bedroom which will have a lower current draw overnight at a lower temp so say 30m at 1kw 5p and then 8 hours at 2p 16p = 21p.

You should be able to keep the place warm for less than a quid a day on weekdays and maybe two to three on the weekend (or stay tucked up with MrLM). Don't know how that fits in your budget though.
I am at work all day, and they do have timers so i'll have to set just the ones i want on at the right time. And i'll go visit friends at the weekend

Sorry MrLM
Old 02-10-2007, 00:06   #59
zing_deleted

Quote:
Also traditional light bulbs provide a good source of heat, see in winter that heat from the bulbs provides ambient heating as well as light

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

am I missing something? storage heaters do not work like that they use power to heat the bricks then the hot bricks release the heat into the room through some kinda venting . Its not like you can turn it on or off when you want
Old 02-10-2007, 00:12   #60
superbiatch
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
am I missing something? storage heaters do not work like that they use power to heat the bricks then the hot bricks release the heat into the room through some kinda venting . Its not like you can turn it on or off when you want
Sorry Zing, after long winded convo with Chris W i realised i didn;t even have storage heaters (altho thats what i was told they were by the house builders!) blonde moment!

They are electric panel heaters, sorry for messing you about