Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Universal Credit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Universal Credit

Old 13-03-2012, 13:58   #16
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Universal Credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
This will not help the coalition win new friends, you cannot bring out a new benefit system to try and force people back to work - there isn't any work out there.
I know, it's a shame all the job centres, job sites, appointment sections in the papers all had to close as there were no jobs...

If there are no jobs how come plenty of foreigners, who have a disadvantage as English is a second language can find jobs pretty easily?
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2012, 14:53   #17
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
Minimum wage goes up every year
I read a couple of days ago that they are not going to increase the min wage for under 25's this year "to make them more employable".

No link sorry.

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 13:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
If there are no jobs how come plenty of foreigners, who have a disadvantage as English is a second language can find jobs pretty easily?
Many are being brought over here AFTER contracts are won, and then all the work takes place in their own language, with just one boss doing all the English talking if needed. English speakers need not apply, well they can't anyway as the jobs are only advertised overseas, and not in English.

Or Welsh.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 15:14   #18
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

You may have mis-heard that, as the NMW upper bracket is for 21+ linky
Quote:
Current NMW rates

There are different levels of NMW, depending on your age and whether you are an apprentice. The current rates (from 1 October 2011) are:
  • £6.08 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
  • £4.98 - the 18-20 rate
  • £3.68 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
  • £2.60 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 15:36   #19
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The coalition has given its strongest signal so far that it is prepared to block an increase to the wages of the lowest paid workers in the country amid concern over rising unemployment.

The separate minimum wage rates for young people are the most likely to be frozen to make it easier for firms to offer jobs to one million under-25s who are out of work.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...imum-wage.html

I knew "25" had been mentioned.... maybe they are going to change the tiers too?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 16:14   #20
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

If the cost of the NMW was truly a factor very few aged 20 or under would be out of work.

What is really needed is a return of the Wages council setting a fair rate for work done. Now you get people who are working hard for NMW or managers who get just 20p an hour more because companies can pay so little and not be censured.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 17:25   #21
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
By the way Universal Credit, has been an idea which has been on the cards since the DSS was replaced by DWP, it is to make it easier as well as get people off benefits, there is just too many! and some of them unfair, Why should people on Jobseekers Allowance who are genuinely looking for work get less than someone on Income Support, it makes no sense! The cost of travelling to interviews as well as to the jobcentre to sign on as well as buying food,gas and electricity is a lot, £53 per week for under 25's is too low! Those on income support and ESA get up to something like £90 per week which is unfair for jobseekers, those on income support and ESA are likely to be claiming other benefits as well.

I think the current Jobseekers allowance system is encouraging and helpful to find work, but the pay is very low and I really don't think it is very beneficial for those living alone. I was only on it for about 3 to 4 weeks before finding another job, it was very hard!
I have alwayys felt JSA should be inline with IS with added all hunting job equipment free. They also should provide free travel to interviews on public transport even free first month employment that would trains buses so no trying get job in netherlands with free travel to schipol. Within reason bounds. Surely what helps people to get to find work without financial burden would be good idea. I spent £20 on stationary papers that was not even the transport to interviews. I often had to ask financial help from relatives.

Problem with including ESA is often disabled need extra items dont think its right.

I worked out with food bills if you followed government advice you need job £250 a week to live. just at £5 a meal you shopping would be £35 thats just one they recomend 3 cooked meals with fruit and veg as daily diet.

There insurance for home, rent or mortage paying now pension possible the next step healthcare insurance. Council tax on top too.

Electric and gas bills I doubt the national minum wage is anywhere near enough even if eliminate healthcare out the equation. Even take out the insurance pension you still looking at ALOT money just to survive in britain you cant physically give money out which makes it impossible to live to clothe/eat/keep warm.

Any reductions would put massive strain onto NHS our are we going to deny people the right to healthcare.

I listened on the radio that charities said would cause maive poverty natually you got bigoted government calling it poppycock people actually be better off. I thought yes government in this climate going to be charitable I just laughed at the lie he was peddling.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 17:29   #22
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Universal Credit is a way that is going to be very expensive to implement, on the same programme on Sky, it was stated by A TORY MP that is will cost 2 BILLION pounds to introduce. This is a total waste of money, which could be spent on other things.

I was on jobseekers allowance for 9 months and hated every minute of it, going for job interviews etc, where was the fare money coming from for travel ,JCs will not pay you this, postage etc, JC won't pay for this, they supplied us with a mobile phone, which was useless.

There is no incentive for people to look for work - there is no work out there, any work there is, is quickly snapped up by foreign workers, who probably live in the same accommodation as about ten others and feed off other workers for jobs.

The benefit system needs overhauling, but by doing what they are doing will cripple the country, this country is not in the 1950's where you scrimp and scrape, if you are unemployed through no fault of your own, you have a right to live and therefore on the benefit system you go.

To save money instead of picking on the poor, is to crack down on the people that do not have that right to the state system, that would save millions.

As said earlier, its the way to save money and the Tories are brilliant as doing this, and thats by hitting the poor.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 17:32   #23
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
I was on jobseekers allowance for 9 months and hated every minute of it, going for job interviews etc, where was the fare money coming from for travel ,JCs will not pay you this,
They will, Arthur.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 17:54   #24
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
They will, Arthur.

Quote:
The Travel to Interview scheme is now closed.
Help with travel costs incurred while attending job interviews may still be available through a limited fund which Jobcentre Plus advisers can access. The fund is discretionary and no one has an automatic right to help.
Please speak to your Jobcentre Plus adviser for more information about help available in your area.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ices/DG_173631

I suppose that means that under exceptional circumstances there is small discretionary fund i.e if the interview is miles away
Old 13-03-2012, 18:02   #25
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

That goes completely against what my local JC told me. They said help is available for anyone needing to travel to interviews.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 18:13   #26
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
That goes completely against what my local JC told me. They said help is available for anyone needing to travel to interviews.
I think it's different for each area Russ .Given the cost of travel ,the governments/jobcenters insistence that we should be prepared to travel a wider area in search of work and the legal requirement to look for work then i would have thought it would be an automatic procedure to claim them back
Old 13-03-2012, 18:29   #27
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I have the perfect example of this travel fee via the Job centre.

I got an interview at a well known business, l had a letter with letterhead, l went to the job centre to ask for help.

I was told to ask friends for the money first, could not get it, l was told to apply for an emergency crisis loan, and sit and wait - after three hours, l was told l could not claim, l was NOT unemployed long enough - l was 6 months out of work.

A friend of mine drove me there, l was lucky to get the job, BUT would not get paid for a month. Again, l applied through JC again, they told me to get THREE quotes for travel ONLY, l got a travel card quote for the month - it came to approx £45.00 l went again back to the JC, l had to queue for another emergency crisis loan.

They told me l could get one if l signed off that day, and then claim a crisis loan to cover me the month.

I got the crisis loan for travel, BUT had to pay it back within 28 days. My JS allowance was stopped after TWO weeks, and l had to go back to the JC for help, they told me that as l was NOW employed l could not claim the final two weeks of my month. It was the company that l now worked for help me out.

The Job Centre are useless, all they do is cause problems for people, and all this government crap about helping you out and is all rubbish, all they want if for you to come off the unemployment register and make them look good.

I might sound bitter, but my family and l had a rough time that month, and l will never believe again what comes out there mouth, when you sign on - you are just a number.
Old 13-03-2012, 20:50   #28
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I have just read articles on the sky news website www.skynews,co.uk concerning the Universal Credit, which will be announced in the Budget.
Stop the bloody press

Arthur posted a link

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 20:53   #29
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Stop the bloody press

Arthur posted a link
Which doesn't work.
Old 13-03-2012, 23:26   #30
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

The item was on Sky news with two people discussing it, one was a Tory MP and the other was a woman from Mums-net.

They were saying that Mums net were talking about when Universal Credit comes out in the budget thousand of mums who IN work will have to leave work as the benefits that they to keep them in work will be scrapped under the UC scheme.

What this government has to do is provide work and benefit that fits the bill, so if you take a low paid job, by insistence of the government, then you must have a benefit to put you into a 'living standard' benefit.

Its similar to job seekers allowance, they claim how much the government feel you are paid a benefit above the povery line.