Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Universal Credit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Sunday trading laws to be suspended during Olympics?

Old 18-03-2012, 02:11   #1
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Sunday trading laws to be suspended during Olympics?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17419351
Quote:
Although the relaxation would be temporary, the Treasury is expected to closely monitor its effects and a permanent move has not been ruled out if it proves a success.

Tory MP Nadine Dorries predicted that Mr Osborne would "face a barrage of criticism" as a result of the move.

She posted on Twitter: "Arrogant to impose without debate and vote of whole house.

"Is the coalition government secretly implementing an anti-Christian agenda. And if so, who is driving it, Cameron and Osborne or the LDs?"
Ridiculous, what's anti-Christian about trying to help the economy?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2012, 02:38   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Sunday trading laws to be suspended during Olympics?

wheres Clarkson, he'll single handedly handle whoever objects. didnt he take a dig at Italy recently.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 06:15   #3
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Personally Sunday trading laws should be stopped altogether rather than just relaxed. This law in its current form stems from the late 40s but initially its what Christians imposed or wanted to impose years before. We are, I would like to believe a secular society & should cater for all not just bow down to the ideals of the Christian church.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 07:27   #4
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

I am not going to come from this from a christians point of view as i am agnostic, what is exactly wrong though in having just one day without shops going full steam and people just take time to chill.?

Most of the larger supermarkets open 24/6 as it is,and 6 hours sunday why the rush to 24/7 they say the brits do longer hours then people on the continent and have no proper time with their families, is dragging your backside around a supermarket sunday really quality time.

I think the economy aspect is overplayed myself people can only spend their money once if they cannot shop in the time available now 24/6 and 6 hours sunday there really is no hope.
Old 18-03-2012, 07:44   #5
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

I vote for ditching sunday trading laws....delia behind me shouting "lets be having you!"
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 10:06   #6
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
I am not going to come from this from a christians point of view as i am agnostic, what is exactly wrong though in having just one day without shops going full steam and people just take time to chill.?

Most of the larger supermarkets open 24/6 as it is,and 6 hours sunday why the rush to 24/7 they say the brits do longer hours then people on the continent and have no proper time with their families, is dragging your backside around a supermarket sunday really quality time.

I think the economy aspect is overplayed myself people can only spend their money once if they cannot shop in the time available now 24/6 and 6 hours sunday there really is no hope.
Totally agree ,forget about the religious side of sunday trading that is a nonsense nowadays ,allowing an extra few hours trading on sunday will not make much difference to the economy if any and will only serve to take free time from workers .
Old 18-03-2012, 10:25   #7
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Sunday trading laws should be ditched completely as the is no logical reason in modern society for such an archaic law to still be in place, it is not as if the majority of people go to church so Sunday should be classed the same as any other day.

We need to realise that nowadays many people work of a Sunday and it should be treated as just another working day, remember that the employees that work of a Sunday still only work a 5 day week the same as everyone else.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 10:31   #8
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

I used to work at airport..did most if not all public holidays..and my days off used to be tuesday and wednesdays...which I deligently went to uni...and to be honest...having sunday off is a pain..as I can do more when everything is open
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 10:36   #9
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Sunday trading laws should be ditched completely as the is no logical reason in modern society for such an archaic law to still be in place, it is not as if the majority of people go to church so Sunday should be classed the same as any other day.

We need to realise that nowadays many people work of a Sunday and it should be treated as just another working day, remember that the employees that work of a Sunday still only work a 5 day week the same as everyone else.
Families need at least one day that they can call there own .My wife works every sunday (8am-5pm)and most saturdays ,the days off in the week she has i am usually at work and the kids at school
Old 18-03-2012, 10:45   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Families need at least one day that they can call there own .My wife works every sunday (8am-5pm)and most saturdays ,the days off in the week she has i am usually at work and the kids at school
That is the choice you have made as do most people who work nowadays we do not want to take a backwards step and allow the church a foothold in our modern way of life.

We choose the hours we work by accepting the jobs that we do if you want to have Sunday free then the only real option is for your wife and every other person who works on a Sunday to look for another job because if the Sunday trading laws were ever rescinded we would lose many jobs within our economy which could include her position.

So what do you prefer a Sunday day of rest or a lower family income, my vote is for an increase in jobs by extending normal working hours to Sunday it makes more sense.
Old 18-03-2012, 10:45   #11
richard1960

Quote:

I am quite surprised peter as a former trade union rep you take the position you do,if all uk PLC is going to do is commerce 24/7 with families under pressure to work ,work, work what time to actually relax.?

In France they have a much more sensible approach even though it could be argued they are much more secular then us most of the small shops are shut if not all outside of the Major towns and so are the larger shops as people spend time together and have long lunches over a bottle of wine,one of the people i work with has a son living in france and its much less uptight there then in the UK ,and the pace of life is much slower,they do not believe in a work work work society.

I work sundays as i work in the NHS but realise the importance of free time together.
Old 18-03-2012, 10:47   #12
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

There always been strange abnormalties uk.

Seaside reosrts allowed opening due to tourist industry supermarkets, shopping precients.

The one in me due to back ground say it should be all closed but other says it creates jobs and jobs is needed. Small shops not sure would open due to costs its ok opening up 8 weeks but do this throughtout year having to employ extra staff no guarantee of upturn in customers might put them off.

The other is many got cristian/catholic beliefs would this negate whether its actually viable.

The other is before we know it all holidays negated its open 365 days a year. After all we been peddled we get too many by MP's but infact we dont get as many some abroad.

Its definate thought provoking discusion whether it should be permenant change I cant say.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 10:51   #13
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I am quite surprised peter as a former trade union rep you take the position you do,if all uk PLC is going to do is commerce 24/7 with families under pressure to work ,work, work what time to actually relax.?
I have been a union rep in many businesses that have worked on Sunday and by virtue of the businesses involved the is no way around Sunday working, in fact many companies offer 5 out 7 or 4 on 4 off shifts which is the norm in this day and age as Sunday in many businesses is just a normal working day excluding retail which is the business in question are not affected by Sunday trading laws.

I have worked for Sainsbury's distribution and B&Q distribution and both worked the weekend because the stores still required stock to be delivered, in my new position the will be the occasional Sunday shift required but that is the way of the world and unions accept this as normal.
Old 18-03-2012, 10:58   #14
richard1960

Quote:
I have been a union rep in many businesses that have worked on Sunday and by virtue of the businesses involved the is no way around Sunday working, in fact many companies offer 5 out 7 or 4 on 4 off shifts which is the norm in this day and age as Sunday in many businesses is just a normal working day excluding retail which is the business in question are not affected by Sunday trading laws.

I have worked for Sainsbury's distribution and B&Q distribution and both worked the weekend because the stores still required stock to be delivered, in my new position the will be the occasional Sunday shift required but that is the way of the world and unions accept this as normal.
Do the unions accept it peter , i have just been on the shopworkers union site USDAW this is what they had to say about sunday trading laws.

The shopworkers Union Usdaw has welcomed today's announcement by the Government that they are to leave the laws covering Sunday trading in England and Wales unchanged and will seek to simplify the legislation dealing with age-restricted sales.

1. A survey of over 10,000 Usdaw members completed in April this year found that:

91% opposed large shops being able to open all hours on a Sunday

95% thought the current ban on large shops opening on Christmas Day and Easter Sunday should continue.

2. A Gfk/NOP survey carried out last year found that 89% of the public were opposed to any relaxation of the Sunday Trading laws.

It would seem many unions are concerned workers might be co-erced into working ie have pressure put upon them. USDAW seem very unkeen on any relaxation.
Old 18-03-2012, 11:09   #15
martyh

Quote:
Do the unions accept it peter , i have just been on the shopworkers union site USDAW this is what they had to say about sunday trading laws.

The shopworkers Union Usdaw has welcomed today's announcement by the Government that they are to leave the laws covering Sunday trading in England and Wales unchanged and will seek to simplify the legislation dealing with age-restricted sales.

1. A survey of over 10,000 Usdaw members completed in April this year found that:

91% opposed large shops being able to open all hours on a Sunday

95% thought the current ban on large shops opening on Christmas Day and Easter Sunday should continue.

2. A Gfk/NOP survey carried out last year found that 89% of the public were opposed to any relaxation of the Sunday Trading laws.

It would seem many unions are concerned workers might be co-erced into working ie have pressure put upon them. USDAW seem very unkeen on any relaxation.
That is the case ,anyone in retail will tell you that they are required to work sundays there is no choice.Many retail outlets do not take staff on specifically to work the weekends they simply rota in existing staff for those days regardless of any weekend activities that the workers participate in