Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Saddam Hussein Executed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Saddam Hussein Executed

Old 05-11-2006, 10:31   #1
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Saddam Hussein Executed

Breaking News

Quote:
Saddam Hussein has been found guilty of crimes against humanity and sentenced to death.
The former dictator will be hanged, a court in Baghdad's Green Zone complex ruled.

I wasn't quite sure if this was to go under "Entertainment"....
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2006, 10:35   #2
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star
Re: Saddam To Be Hanged

This would make better telly than all that Xfactor crap.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:35   #3
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness

Well its not like they came up with a sentence that wasn't already decided before the trial is it?

And its obvious that killing him is going to make him a martyr.

So I ask whats the point in executing him?

Was the verdict a genuine one, or was it already decided?

Surely as a developing country, Iraq would have been encouraged to avoid capital punishment by the west?
Oh....hang on......whats it called, the land of the free.....oh I mean USA still regularly executes people.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:36   #4
zing_deleted

Well all that killing him will do it turn him into a martyr.He should be kept alive in a dodgy prison and allowed to wither away whilst being constantly exposed to the press showing others that he is nothing.I think hanging him is a mistake

as you see I agree Timewarrior only a bit slower lol
Old 05-11-2006, 10:38   #5
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsainsbury View Post
Good!
It's heartening that in the last decade or so there have been instances of evil dictators being put before courts and tried for their crimes....
Old 05-11-2006, 10:39   #6
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

But will it now stop the bombings etc in Iraq??
Old 05-11-2006, 10:40   #7
zing_deleted

Seeing as this is the first of probably many trials then he will probably die of old age by the time all of the court cases are over anyway
Old 05-11-2006, 10:44   #8
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

I hope it's a slow long painful undignifying death.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:44   #9
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Well the yanks wouldn't take him out during the first Gulf war as they knew it would be instant martyrdom but it now looks like the Iraqi legal system is going to give him what he wants after all. He should be sent to the foulest prison they have and should be kept alive so that everyone can watch him suffer. Maybe Liberty should take up his case?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:46   #10
timewarrior2001

why will killing the head figure of the saddam loving sunni's stop the wave of terror in Iraq?

Its only going to escalate it.

How many other dictators have been executed recently?
Last one I remember was caucescu (SP?) in Romania.

My main problem here is that currently I am against the death penalty, but in the future I could be for it again. I just cant make my mind up.

I also don't think hanging is a suitable method of execution in 2006.

Its a no win situation, no one is really going to defend the guy because he's a mass murderer, however killing him is only goping to have grave consequences for Iraq.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:46   #11
arcamalpha2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsainsbury View Post
Breaking News

I wasn't quite sure if this was to go under "Entertainment"....

He didnt get the last request then? he apparently wanted shooting?
Perhaps now weighed against the lives lost while he was in power and continued bloodshed his trial was justified?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:47   #12
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

He isnt popular enough to be a martyr. He was not loved by the terrorists either, he sat back and profitted at the expense of his people and killed anyone who spoke out of line. He was did not get on with the terrorists and victimised his people

No one will miss him.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:49   #13
timewarrior2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
He isnt popular enough to be a martyr. He was not loved by the terrorists either, he sat back and profitted at the expense of his people and killed anyone who spoke out of line. He was did not get on with the terrorists and victimised his people

No one will miss him.
As I already quoted, the Sunnis are ready to spread a new wave of terror.

To some people he was a hero, to others he was the devil. The crappy situation and lack of control we have in Iraq is going to make that country a lot more dangerous than Afghanistan.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:49   #14
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

At the trial someone was heard to say "Saddam should be bloody well hung".

Reportedly 3 of his wives were heard to say in unison, "Yes, he is"

But seriously, this was always going to be a PR no-win situation. You have people like myself who are against the death penalty saying his execution will make him a martyr to his followers, and others saying keeping him alive is a waste of money and he should have done to him what he did to others.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:50   #15
arcamalpha2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarrior2001 View Post
why will killing the head figure of the saddam loving sunni's stop the wave of terror in Iraq?

Its only going to escalate it.

How many other dictators have been executed recently?
Last one I remember was caucescu (SP?) in Romania.

My main problem here is that currently I am against the death penalty, but in the future I could be for it again. I just cant make my mind up.

I also don't think hanging is a suitable method of execution in 2006.

Its a no win situation, no one is really going to defend the guy because he's a mass murderer, however killing him is only goping to have grave consequences for Iraq.
Quite agree
What method would you suggest? not being sarcastic with you just that in my book execution is what it is?
I just feel that had sadam kept quiet about his " preferred execution " he would have had a 50/50 chance