Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Use a Repeater with Virgin Super Hub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Super hub settings

Old 23-01-2012, 13:55   #1
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough
Talking Super hub settings

i have a superhub with 100mb my daughter who uses the wireless for her laptop and xbox says the wireless keeps disconnecting her whats the best settings to use in the super hub or just leave on default settings ?
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-01-2012, 14:02   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Super hub settings

download and run inSSIDer on a wireless capable device such as a laptop. let the program look up wireless networks within reach of you (move around your property where you want connectivity so the scanner can pick up all network).... note which channel number each uses. then set your SH to use a channel number that isn't in use. the channel numbers range from 1-13.

don't leave the SHs wireless channel as auto.

to access the settings on the SH put the following address into your web browser bar...

login (default: username: admin - password: changeme)
advanced settings below the 3 red boxes
to your left wireless settings
set channel to whatever channel that isn't in use
apply settings
exit

the above could possibly fix the issue but..

also note the SH isn't the best for wireless so depending on your property, the signal may not be strong where its disconnecting which could then mean you investing in a wireless router
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 14:07   #3
da_vone
Inactive

da_vone is on a distinguished roadda_vone is on a distinguished road

Alright there Rob. Im not a techie person, but i had the same sort of issue. when i called Virgin (in india) they guy told me to go into my super hub (http://192.168.0.1) and under setup>wireless settings to change the channel id to 11 i think it was on a different number then. i clicked on apply. Then disabled my wireless (on the laptop) and re enabled it. Thus far it seems to be going pretty good.

As i say im not a techie person but i hope what worked for me works for you as well. All the best.
da_vone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 14:53   #4
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Just get a proper wireless router and put the mostly useless superhub in modem mode.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 15:24   #5
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_vone View Post
Alright there Rob. Im not a techie person, but i had the same sort of issue. when i called Virgin (in india) they guy told me to go into my super hub (http://192.168.0.1) and under setup>wireless settings to change the channel id to 11 i think it was on a different number then. i clicked on apply. Then disabled my wireless (on the laptop) and re enabled it. Thus far it seems to be going pretty good.

As i say im not a techie person but i hope what worked for me works for you as well. All the best.
ok i have tried that ill let you know how it goes
Old 23-01-2012, 21:31   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yeah for the non-tech savy peeps it isnt as straight forward as what VM are making out. There are basically 3 channels you want to be looking at using for your wireless which are 1, 6 and 11. Sometimes you might get problems if for example your neighbour is using channel 5, so you would want to switch to channel 11 to avoid interference.

Unfortunately things arent as simple as that when it comes to the shub. Many, but not all, people have been having problems with the shubs wireless abilities and the best thing i can recommend if you have got children who's lives depend on internet access (you know what teenagers are like) through phones, laptops and stuff like wireless printers for school work is to buy yourself a decent wireless router because the shub just doesn't cut it unfortunately. You'll be saving yourself a lot of time and hassel, trust me.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 07:07   #7
chumba
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity 2
chumba is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_vone View Post

Wow..Ive been racking my brain for days for a fix on my wireless.

This worked straight away.

Many thanks
chumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 10:01   #8
Rob King
cf.addict

a good old reboot fixed the problem too
Old 25-01-2012, 20:27   #9
da_vone
Inactive

da_vone is on a distinguished roadda_vone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumba View Post
Wow..Ive been racking my brain for days for a fix on my wireless.

This worked straight away.

Many thanks
Your Most welcome mate i guess as the chaps above have said if one channels is sort of used up then just check out the others and see if you get a hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
a good old reboot fixed the problem too
Good old virgin advice of taking the plug out and sticking it back in again. im glad its all sorted now
da_vone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 23:43   #10
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Its sorted now until someone nearby gets a good router and uses that channel. Bye bye weak superhub signal!
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote