Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Garden Dug Up and Cable installed on my property without knowledge

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Garden Dug Up and Cable installed on my property without knowledge

Old 26-03-2010, 14:14   #61
rag3d
Inactive

rag3d will become famous soon enoughrag3d will become famous soon enoughrag3d will become famous soon enough
Re: Garden Dug Up and Cable installed on my property without knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Hang on - you've not agreed to allow the cable to remain, have you?

You have to get that cable off your property. What if it needs repaired or replaced in future? Whose garden will be getting dug up if/when that happens? Yep, yours.

There is absolutely no reason for that cable to be on your property. Openreach should have dug their trench along the pavement until it reached your neighbour's boundary, and then they should have run it up through his lawn. The reason they did not do that was clearly to save themselves some time and money. Well, frankly, their time and money is not your problem!
The cable is to be cut on the pavement outside my garden, redirected along pavement and down neighbours side of garden to his house. The pipe and cable under my garden will be severed at each end and will not be used again. It will be removed if my landscaper comes across it. If its as deep as they tell me he shouldnt find it. When asked if I wanted it removed I told them as it will be dead I will remove it if necessary they were happy with that [saves them a job]. I dont want them clumping on my garden anymore.
As I write this Cobra have arrived and started digging in the right direction.
rag3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2010, 14:17   #62
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Should do some photo's of work in progress for the record.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 14:19   #63
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag3d View Post
The cable is to be cut on the pavement outside my garden, redirected along pavement and down neighbours side of garden to his house. The pipe and cable under my garden will be severed at each end and will not be used again. It will be removed if my landscaper comes across it. If its as deep as they tell me he shouldnt find it. When asked if I wanted it removed I told them as it will be dead I will remove it if necessary they were happy with that [saves them a job]. I dont want them clumping on my garden anymore.
As I write this Cobra have arrived and started digging in the right direction.
Well thank you for the clarification, I was getting all angry at them on your behalf.

I'm glad to hear they are now on the case and doing the job properly. What a bunch of muppets though. This will end up costing them a lot more than they stood to save had you let them get away with it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 14:22   #64
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

Some people are simply too ignorant to realise that open plan front lawns aren't the same as the grass verge next to the road. Like the taxi driver who drove across a neighbour's lawn to get close to our front door. Or the kids who used to play football across them. Or whoever left tyre ruts in ours last night.

Please don't give the ...gentlemen... any reason to set foot on your property again.

Glad it looks like it's coming to a satisfactory end at last.
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 16:17   #65
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

I'd have gone beserk even if I'd given permission and they left my lawn looking like that. What a shoddy job.
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 18:39   #66
rag3d
Inactive

rag3d will become famous soon enoughrag3d will become famous soon enoughrag3d will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Should do some photo's of work in progress for the record.
Have done, here's one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden damage 3 001.jpg (632.7 KB, 250 views)
Old 26-03-2010, 18:43   #67
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array

LOl, and now the neighbours looks bad 'not that that is a bad thing', do you think they were trying to get them to match ..
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 19:00   #68
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Roffle roffle ... are you getting your entire lawn returfed as part of this deal? It's going to make your patch look a lot better than his.

How are relations with your neighbour now by the way?
Old 26-03-2010, 19:19   #69
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag3d View Post
Have done, here's one
Am I mistaken or is that still your garden? I thought your garden ended where your next door neighbours driveway is looking at the Photo it does!

Admin edit (Chris) Please don't embed pictures that size, it just messes up people's browsing.
tdadyslexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 19:26   #70
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

No, the boundary will be at a right angle to the front wall of the building and it will most probably start at a point right between the two cable points you can see on the wall.
Old 26-03-2010, 20:31   #71
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Someone needs to send those guys on a landscape gardening course
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 22:54   #72
rag3d
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Roffle roffle ... are you getting your entire lawn returfed as part of this deal? It's going to make your patch look a lot better than his.

How are relations with your neighbour now by the way?
No deal established with the claims dept at BT. I have a quote from a reputable landscape company to take the top off my lawn, level garden and turf with quality turf, a miniature box hedge is included to distinguish the boundry of the two properties, not sure how that will go down. I need to send this with a claims form they have sent me on which I have to state details of my claim. Apart from the landscapers bill I dont really know what else I am entitled to claim, I dont think they are likley to help me with that. Any ideas? The latest trench will not be on my side of the hedge.
Spoke to my neighbour on his way in tonight, he's fuming as Cobra it seems are suggesting that his wife gave them the go ahead to dig across our garden in our absence. I have told him no matter what his wife has or has not done the professionals involved would be fully aware that she would have no authority to grant such an act. He like I would not like to fall out over this but it cant help but strain a relationship [I hope things will calm down over time].
Old 27-03-2010, 00:08   #73
Dukefever
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV, XL BB, M Phone, 1GB Tivo + V HD box (Premiere)
Dukefever has a spectacular aura about themDukefever has a spectacular aura about themDukefever has a spectacular aura about themDukefever has a spectacular aura about them

Get a few beers and stand outside together and compare who's garden is worse off. Maybe you can salvage a laugh once it has all been sorted. I know it has been an awful experience for you and I don't see the funny side at all but perhaps you and your neighbour can move on from any bitterness. I am pleased that all involved are working with you to fix the problem and I look forward to seeing the photo once all is completed.

Duke
Dukefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 00:20   #74
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

OK, I'm not a lawyer (so much for the caveat). I wouldn't expect any claim to allow betterment, i.e. the cost of the hedge. Unavoidable improvement, the provision of a reasonable quality lawn of new even turf over one that might have been perhaps a bit weedy should be allowed, unless the lawn really was in terrible order which your photos would suggest wasn't the case.

After that is a case for compensation, or in legal terms damages. That really is one that the ambulance chasing lawyers might be better off dealing with. Does your house insurance include any legal cover, some do. Might be worth a call to them if it does? Of course if BT/ Cobra or whoever is involved have any real sense they should have been making you a cash offer simply to shut you up. Did you ever get as far as serving a proper letter on them to make them sit up and take note, or is it still all oral stuff?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 00:21   #75
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Looking at those pics, it seems to me that the best solution would be for the gardener to turf over the whole area. I'd be surprised the BT claims department would accept the hedge box. I doubt they'd notice if the claim would include returfing your neighbour's patch (which appears to be just a yard wide). Returfing the lot would definiteley be more pleasing on the eye.