Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Management Trial in Preston and Selly Oak

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Traffic Management Trial in Preston and Selly Oak

Old 14-03-2012, 19:06   #16
keepitretro
Permanently Banned

keepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about them
Wink Re: Traffic Management Trial in Preston and Selly Oak

AHHHHHHH!

i get it.....
keepitretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2012, 19:07   #17
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold
Re: Traffic Management Trial in Preston and Selly Oak

I would say most of the people who leave torrents hammering away constantly don't know how to circumvent it or even know its there.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 19:20   #18
keepitretro
Permanently Banned

keepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about them

So if its changing from UNLIMITED to limited with personal alowance, does that give you grounds to cancel? Infinity is calling!!!

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

There's no way in hell that i am paying over £42 just for a 100mb internet connection, that is only useable when they want me to use it!!!!!!
keepitretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 20:03   #19
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitretro View Post
There's no way in hell that i am paying over £42 just for a 100mb internet connection, that is only useable when they want me to use it!!!!!!
Come April it won't cost that
Old 14-03-2012, 20:40   #20
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Can I remind members that uncivil posts will not be tolerated, last posts removed. Anymore and I will be taking action.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 20:41   #21
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

keep avoiding the question Ben
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 22:49   #22
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayster View Post
I would say most of the people who leave torrents hammering away constantly don't know how to circumvent it or even know its there.
Unfortunately for me and doubtless others that's only most and not all. Fortunately for me Infinity came early to an exchange next door to mine and Openreach have already installed the extra Infinity cabinet that I'll be on as soon as I can.

If VM don't want to haemorrhage customers as a result of their selling 100Mbps unlimited on infrastructure that can't deliver it they'll either need to put in some pretty substantial upgrade work or curtail the torrent freaks. Naturally doing that will cost them business too... It's all a problem entirely of their own making.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 23:07   #23
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

I can't see VM bringing in usage caps, plus once BT becomes more widespread with there fiber optic they will suffer the same issues as VM, BT infinity is only small a the moment and BT have a massive network, but they will soon become overloaded.

But back on the subject does anyone know of the limits they are trailing?
Old 15-03-2012, 23:50   #24
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
I can't see VM bringing in usage caps, plus once BT becomes more widespread with there fiber optic they will suffer the same issues as VM, BT infinity is only small a the moment and BT have a massive network, but they will soon become overloaded.

you do understand that BT dont use docsis so as such dont have the same bottleneck issue?

whilst BT may well get congested it wont be in the same way that VM does.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 23:51   #25
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Indeed. Capacity to/from the cab may as well be uncontended. Even if you do have contention issues on the BT Wholesale network, you still have the choice of LLU providers who run their own backhauls, the likes of Sky, O2, and TalkTalk, etc.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 00:25   #26
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post

with regards to Infinity, I think it was qas who pointed out the other day (too tired to go and look back) that the worst it can possible get is a 5:1 contention ratio, and that just sounds like flipping heaven compared to VM. I am all for competition and fair trading and all that stuff but if BT keep on going like they are atm I pray that everyone dumps whatever isp they are on atm and switched to Infinity. I am always preaching about brand quality and customer loyalty and at the moment Infinity is a fantastic network with great potential at a great price.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 00:36   #27
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
with regards to Infinity, I think it was qas who pointed out the other day (too tired to go and look back) that the worst it can possible get is a 5:1 contention ratio,
That was just the upstream, though those numbers were an understimate. Each cab gets multiple dedicated gigabit links to the headend (not just one), with BT putting in more as needed to maintain a (almost) guaranteed minimum speed of 30mbps per 80mb customer. The worst-case scenario on the downstream would be a fully-loaded 128-line cab with every user on 80mb and 2Gbps of backhaul, still only 5:1 contention on the downstream and 1.25:1 on the upstream, assuming they don't light up the extra fibre as promised.

But that's just cab to exchange - what happens at the exchange and how contended the BT Wholesale pipe is is up to the ISP. Contention issues on BT usually happen at the exchange and Wholesale pipes - those are limited by how much an ISP wants to pay for how much capacity. ADSL lines are 100% uncontended from exchange to user, yet there are plenty of congestion issues on BT ADSL
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 01:01   #28
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

if you want to avoid congestion at the exchange, avoid talktalk as the ISP
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote