Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

The iPhone thread

Old 19-09-2007, 20:36   #61
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Re: iPhone UK Release info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Anyway, I don't care. All I can say is "We got the iPhone!"

Get it right round ye!
Well you can keep your pansy iPhone Apple fanboy - I'm sticking with my Windows Mobile 6 Smartphone.
Advertisement
Old 21-09-2007, 01:10   #62
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
A case of style over substance in my (humble) opinion

2mp Camera with no zoom or flash, no 3G connectivity.
and no MMS, no custom ringtones (nope, gotta go to iTunes ), and a really rather crappy looking tariff with a pretty poor no. of minutes & texts for the price you pay [still, you get "unlimited" data over slow ol' GPRS/EDGE].

Plus a pretty big up-front cost.

But, hey, it's got an "i" at the start of the name...
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 01:15   #63
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Well you can keep your pansy iPhone Apple fanboy - I'm sticking with my Windows Mobile 6 Smartphone.
Don't even need to get that shiney and complex. A SE K810i more than keeps up with it and has MMS, 3G, plays AAC files but not protected ones (though you can transcode them back to unprotected), custom ringtones, push email, 3mp camera with flash.
and it has an i in it.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 11:46   #64
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

I'll stick with my Blackberry

Although I have been looking at the LG Prada, anyone got one ? If so, any good ?
Old 21-09-2007, 13:00   #65
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Just had a call from our local O2 shop and you can now pre-register for these on the O2 website.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 17:40   #66
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
I personally think the phone looks naff. I think having to have iTunes is worse than naff. I think the whole thing is bobbins but Bop if you upgrade sell me an xda lol
Got my XDA II sat in the draw doing nowt atm, it has a slight speaker problem in that on of the stems connecting it to the phones case has come away. A man of your means should be able to sort it out. Let me know if ya want it and I'll post it down. I would drop it in, but I'm flat out busy Monday till Friday...... Still, could make it a weekender I owe ya a visit, just for another steak baguette, if nothing else

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I'll stick with my Blackberry

Although I have been looking at the LG Prada, anyone got one ? If so, any good ?
I was looking at this as well, my niece has one, first impressions 6 / 10
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 23:45   #67
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

I think the iphone is a rip off for the following reasons

1) no user changable battery, (I don't like that about modern mp3 players but on a phone?!!?!)

2) No 3g, these days on a phone that sports data features its essential and I don't believe JOB's arugement about battery life, So make the battery changable Simple NO?

3) Closed platform, (yes i know it can be hacked) who wants a smart phone that you cant install 3rd party apps for.

4) Cost its to expensive, Id much rather have a nice WM or Sybmian based phone which would have more features, better expandability and probably cheaper to.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 02:53   #68
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
2) No 3g, these days on a phone that sports data features its essential and I don't believe JOB's arugement about battery life, So make the battery changable Simple NO?
This is more down to design for the US market. 3G is just not well rolled out here 2.75G EDGE has better coverage.
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage.../popUp_3g.html
and lets face it 2G has big holes, though not many people live in those holes
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
3G coverage is where business is that use blackberry etc. Look at New York for example, the only places in the state that have 3G are the City and the Hamptons where the bankers retreat for the weekend.
New Jersey. Well Elisabeth is where the Airport is, Newark is between there and NYC, JC has the Goldman Sachs office building and many companies DR sites. Long Branch, see the Hamptons, AC, see the Hamptons.
There are only 37 states on that list, some states have no 3G coverage at all, not even in their capital city.

Quote:
EDGE is AT&T's national wireless high-speed data network available in over 13,000 cities and towns and along nearly 40,000 miles of highway. All 3G compatible devices are also EDGE compatible providing the best combination of speed and coverage
Old 23-09-2007, 14:15   #69
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
This is more down to design for the US market. 3G is just not well rolled out here 2.75G EDGE has better coverage.
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage.../popUp_3g.html
and lets face it 2G has big holes, though not many people live in those holes
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
3G coverage is where business is that use blackberry etc. Look at New York for example, the only places in the state that have 3G are the City and the Hamptons where the bankers retreat for the weekend.
New Jersey. Well Elisabeth is where the Airport is, Newark is between there and NYC, JC has the Goldman Sachs office building and many companies DR sites. Long Branch, see the Hamptons, AC, see the Hamptons.
There are only 37 states on that list, some states have no 3G coverage at all, not even in their capital city.
Thats all very well for the american market but this is the UK market where edge coverage is prattically nil and 3G is is most towns/citys now.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 14:18   #70
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Think I'll stick with Maddox on this one.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 14:25   #71
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I've just Googled for Maddox' take on the iPhone. Very funny
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 04:28   #72
SMHarman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I've just Googled for Maddox' take on the iPhone. Very funny
ADMIN EDIT - (Russ) LINK REMOVED
For those that cannot be bothered to google, but funny.

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Thats all very well for the american market but this is the UK market where edge coverage is prattically nil and 3G is is most towns/citys now.
I concur, but Apple have decided to release a product designed for the US market into EMEA and EMEA has decided to bite not turn around and say bite me, send me the one with 3G.
I spent about 20 mins this afternoon showing a group of 10 year olds (don't ask) why a K800i is better than an iPhone.
So they agree, better camera, internet browser, can play music, runs google maps, google earth, plays videos, world clock, has a calculator (to take maddox's viewpoint) but in the end... But yeah that has a keyboard, the iPhone does not.
But the videophone functionality got a 'cool' just it won't work here because there is no network for it to work on... Go figure.
Old 24-09-2007, 10:30   #73
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Mmmmm, all very confusing, on the one hand you have a ( phone ) that looks a million dollars ( no pun intended ) that has limitations abound.... but looks great That is gonna be a fortune to get your hands on £260 ish........ but looks great and will have limited net capabilities, even with *unlimited use tarrifs ....... but looks great

See where I'm going with this ? Just wondering how many of us are gonna buy into this just because of what it is, a big, black, shiny, toy ...........................

That looks great I'm on O2, due an upgrade on the 1st of November, 8 days before launch, I have all manner of phones and PDA's lying around the place, what do I upgrade to there really is nothing else out there So, for me at least, it's looking like Iphone here I come .................... Did I mention it looks great
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 11:12   #74
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Functionality should always come before looks.

There are a lot of decent smartphones out there now or soon to be released, like:

Glofiish (sic) x500
SE w960i
O2 Orbit / HTC P3300
Samsung i600

All of which are similar or better than the iPhone in various ways. All have the advantage of that as it has Windows Media or Symbian, you can freely add to the device with applications useful to you. You can't with the iPhone without a constant cat-and-mouse battle with Steve Job's ego. AJAX is Javascript based which as developers will tell you isn't the most powerful language out there. I wouldn't expect a Apple-approved VNC/SSH client or shell scripts.

There are a lot of good articles out there about the iPhone, this this being one of them.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

Sorry missed this bit: Although those phones don't really add to what you've already got (or add little), I think you'll easily become weary of its limited applications.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 11:17   #75
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

The flip side of it is whilst my xda can use loads and loads of 3rd party apps, most of the time they mess up the phone. I'm constantly resetting it and flashing it back to factory settings.

I've decided that I'm going to get a sony p1 and move to the iphone tariff, I think that since I'm not getting a subsidised phone (iphone) I should be able to move onto the iphone when the edge coverage is sorted round here. Of course if I sell the large contract I've been working on I might just get one anyway :-)
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote