Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

The iPhone thread

Old 11-11-2007, 20:09   #151
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman
Re: iPhone UK Release info

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronas View Post
*waits for thread on the second generation iphone next year
2nd Generation will either be higher capacity and more expensive or it will be the iphone nano (the one I've got my money one) which I don't want.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2007, 20:11   #152
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Hopefully the 2nd generation iPhone will actually have 3.5G, MMS, decent camera, multi-recipient SMS, video recording, etc...
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 20:20   #153
handyman
Permanently Banned

handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Hopefully the 2nd generation iPhone will actually have 3.5G, MMS, decent camera, multi-recipient SMS, video recording, etc...
As the iphone runs os x it should only be a software update to add in mms and video recording and multi-recipient SMS.

3.5g well its got wi-fi which is much faster. The camera is never going to be as good as a proper camera anyway.

argh I'm turning into an apple fanboy....
Old 11-11-2007, 20:27   #154
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

EDGE is not too slow tbh. (i gave in and got a iPhone) I got some questions btw:

1) How do you get Visual Voicemail Working mine isnt

2) Where do we find out the cost of using the iPhone in France for calls and Data?
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 20:30   #155
handyman
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
EDGE is not too slow tbh. (i gave in and got a iPhone) I got some questions btw:

1) How do you get Visual Voicemail Working mine isnt

2) Where do we find out the cost of using the iPhone in France for calls and Data?
Erm I'm not sure on visual voice mail as it just sort of happened for me. It's really god as it stores your vm offline on the phone :-)

Costs of roaming will be the same as your normal o2 contracts so should be on the o2 website somewhere. As for data roaming there is a function on the iphone settings to turn this off so you don't rack up mega bills.

How are you finding it so far?
Old 11-11-2007, 20:32   #156
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
3.5g well its got wi-fi which is much faster. The camera is never going to be as good as a proper camera anyway.
It should, at least, be as good as cameras in other phones though. As for having wifi. This is good, as long as you are within range (theoretically 100 metres, but usually a lot less) of a compatible Wifi network. I get 3.5G coverage on my MDA Vario II over most of London.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 20:34   #157
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
As the iphone runs os x it should only be a software update to add in mms and video recording and multi-recipient SMS.
Ah, hopefully they will do that then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman
However WiFi is only any use if you're at a WiFi hotspot.

No WiFi... you're stuck with EDGE. And if you're really unlucky, you don't even get EDGE, & have to put up with the even more painfully slow speeds of GPRS.

Camera...no, never as good as a standalone digicam. But could still be far better than 2MP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman
argh I'm turning into an apple fanboy....
Once you start down the Apple path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will!
Old 11-11-2007, 20:35   #158
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
As for data roaming there is a function on the iphone settings to turn this off so you don't rack up mega bills.
People really should pay attention to that.

Also, be prepared for postie going on strike next month at having to lug 300 x A4-sized page bills about.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 20:40   #159
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Erm I'm not sure on visual voice mail as it just sort of happened for me. It's really god as it stores your vm offline on the phone :-)

Costs of roaming will be the same as your normal o2 contracts so should be on the o2 website somewhere. As for data roaming there is a function on the iphone settings to turn this off so you don't rack up mega bills.

How are you finding it so far?
Loving it

Just worried about the contract stuff. I moved from another O2 contract and I am worried that there might be a mistake which could involve me getting billed for the old contact and the new one. Also, I had O2 Europe thing which got me cheaper calls and am not sure if that works anymore.

So nice though, EDGE is speedier than I though it would be and I am loving the browser, mail client and iPod.

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
People really should pay attention to that.

Also, be prepared for postie going on strike next month at having to lug 300 x A4-sized page bills about.
I think it's online only in UK for billing.

The data thing worried me so I double checked before I got it in a Apple Store to ensure it's possible to switch it off.

It's under Settings > General > Network. Then side Data Roaming to 'off'
Old 11-11-2007, 20:45   #160
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
However WiFi is only any use if you're at a WiFi hotspot.
And if the providor of said hotspot has enough bandwidth and/or the hotspot doesn't have a lot of other users.

This isn't always the case, as a lot of businesses who provide hotspots go for the slowest broadband connection they can get away with. Combine that with the presence of other WiFi users, and you get a slow connection.

Not to mention the fact that if the WiFi hotspot isn't provided by The Cloud (who, IIRC, have tied in with O2 to provide network access), then you could end up paying a lot of money for something 3g customers get as part of their tariff.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

Quote:
The data thing worried me so I double checked before I got it in a Apple Store to ensure it's possible to switch it off.

It's under Settings > General > Network. Then side Data Roaming to 'off'
That's another thing that concerns me. A large percentage of the people the the Iphone will appeal to won't have the technical knowledge to find out something like that, so they could end up running up huge bills while doing nothing, because they didn't know the phone was accessing the network regularly.

It should be OFF by default.
Old 11-11-2007, 20:47   #161
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
That's another thing that concerns me. A large percentage of the people the the Iphone will appeal to won't have the technical knowledge to find out something like that, so they could end up running up huge bills while doing nothing, because they didn't know the phone was accessing the network regularly.

It should be OFF by default.
Not sure how much they would run up. The most it will do, if they do nothing, is check their e-mail. It wont download attachments unless you select the,
Old 11-11-2007, 20:50   #162
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Yes, but roaming charges for data are always horrendous.

Even just a small amount of data from downloading email headers.
Old 11-11-2007, 20:55   #163
Stuart
-

Quote:
Not sure how much they would run up. The most it will do, if they do nothing, is check their e-mail. It wont download attachments unless you select the,
It's still running up bills, while the user is doing nothing. If the user switches on the option (as other phones require), that's fair enough, they've made the choice, they should pay.
Old 11-11-2007, 21:01   #164
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Nope. It runs up a data bill even if no data services are used, like people using it as an iPod.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 21:13   #165
Stuart
-

I said before, and I'll say again. While I am happy to pay (and have, in the past), the kind of prices charged for the Iphone itself and the contract, if the phone is advanced enough to justify it, I don't consider the Iphone to be advanced enough.

Take away the software (which other manufacturers are already starting to emulate in more advanced phones), then the only advantages the Iphone has over the N95 are the multi touch screen and the battery life (although the figures I saw were manufacturer figures, so I'm taking them with a pinch of salt).

The web browsing is nice, but having used Safari on an ipod touch, I am not convinced it is a useful way to browse the web (in the zoomed out view, the text is too small, so unless you are looking for a particular area on a page, it is pointless), and, as with the other software features, if people like it, other manufacturers will find a way to do it (I believe Opera Mini already does).

The photo viewing is nice, but I don't tend to store my photos on my phone unless I took them with the phone.

The Multi Touch screen is nice, but I am not convinced it is useful in a device as small as a phone. On a laptop, it might be good.

The N95 has the advantage of GPS, a screen that is nearly as good as the Iphone's, expandable memory, a proper keypad (having had to use a touch screen keypad on my Vario, despite what Jobs says, I *did* miss having actual buttons to press, the touch screen doesn't give the same tactile feedback) and easily replacable sim and battery. So, if battery life is a problem, you could carry a second around. You also get 3.5G to go with your WiFi connection.

Apple/O2 are charging top dollar for some nice looking previous generation hardware running some nifty software and a touch screen. If they bought the prices down to a level competitive with the likes of Nokia and Samsung, then I'd be interested in the Iphone.