Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Installation and Infrastructure Q&A's

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Installation and Infrastructure Q&A's

Old 03-05-2011, 09:36   #1
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Installation and Infrastructure Q&A's

Hi Guys

I'm putting together a thread about installation Q&A's which I hope will become stickied one day (mods?) and want to know if there are any questions you guys want to see added at this stage, all suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2011, 09:48   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Installation and Infrastructure Q&A's

What does a new installation actually entail from start to finish on the day.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:53   #3
candy1567
Inactive

candy1567 has a brilliant futurecandy1567 has a brilliant futurecandy1567 has a brilliant futurecandy1567 has a brilliant futurecandy1567 has a brilliant futurecandy1567 has a brilliant futurecandy1567 has a brilliant futurecandy1567 has a brilliant futurecandy1567 has a brilliant futurecandy1567 has a brilliant futurecandy1567 has a brilliant futurecandy1567 has a brilliant future

Hi

wat are the rules and regulations as to where the equiptment is to be placed, ie, cabling and the neatness of the instalation

JUliex
candy1567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:02   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Things installers are not allowed to do, i.e pull up slabs and go up lofts
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:13   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
Hi Guys

I'm putting together a thread about installation Q&A's which I hope will become stickied one day (mods?) and want to know if there are any questions you guys want to see added at this stage, all suggestions welcome.

Cheers
It probably wont be stickied but if suitable it would go into the articles sections of the site.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:22   #6
weesteev
Cable Guru

weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Cheers Kymmy.

Good suggestions so far guys...

Old 03-05-2011, 10:42   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Can I suggest you peruse the articles sections first to make sure that there isn't already an article based on what you suggest.. and if there is perhaps an update may be applicable rather than a new one.. If not then a new one is fine as long as it is an article and not a thread.. (Article section is moderated to not suitable for realtime Q&A sessions but no reason as to why it can't be linked to a thread that can be used to update the article Q&A as new questions/answers turn up...)

Just suggestions though..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:03   #8
weesteev
Cable Guru

I've had a search through and there's nothing similar that encompasses all general questions in one place. Many new threads are started with general install queries that could be avoided with one Q&A section. Lots of photos as well

Old 04-05-2011, 10:15   #9
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
. Lots of photos as well
Good job we all have decent broadband then.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I think it should be clear that cables should ALWAYS run vertically down from a wall penetration.
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 13:58   #10
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

maybe something about re-routing the cables once their installed?
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 15:05   #11
weesteev
Cable Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgie View Post
Good job we all have decent broadband then.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I think it should be clear that cables should ALWAYS run vertically down from a wall penetration.
Dont you mean vertically UP to a penetration point?

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k11 View Post
maybe something about re-routing the cables once their installed?
The drop cable or Internal cable?

Old 04-05-2011, 16:40   #12
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I think craigs referring to internal.

Good Idea though weesteve, well worth doing.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 21:56   #13
Virginonleavin
Inactive

Virginonleavin is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the process for getting and confirming a pre-install visit from someone at Virgin who you can talk through what is supposed to happen on the day - especially with a new installation to a 'virgin' property.

I'm struggling with this one.
Virginonleavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 22:38   #14
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Dont you mean vertically UP to a penetration point?

Touché

hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 15:10   #15
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
The drop cable or Internal cable?
It will mostly be internal, i would think digging up a cable to move it would be pretty self explanatory
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote