Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connecting PS3 to the Internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

Connecting PS3 to the Internet

Old 09-04-2008, 19:57   #1
benweightman
Inactive

benweightman is an unknown quantity at this point
Connecting PS3 to the Internet

I have just bought a PS3 and want to connect to the internet but don't yet have a router.I heard you could plug it straight into a modem via the ethernet cable however my modem does not have a slot for the cable, it has a small telephone type slot and a USB wire coming out of it. Any sugestions to what i'm doing wrong?
benweightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2008, 20:40   #2
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
Re: Connecting PS3 to the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by benweightman View Post
I have just bought a PS3 and want to connect to the internet but don't yet have a router.I heard you could plug it straight into a modem via the ethernet cable however my modem does not have a slot for the cable, it has a small telephone type slot and a USB wire coming out of it. Any sugestions to what i'm doing wrong?
As far as I'm aware the PS3 has the same inter-net set up as the 360, in which case with my 360 I too do not use a router, I just swap the ether-net cable [ the blue one] between my PC and xbox, no problem, it should be just as simple with the PS3.
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 13:38   #3
Tod
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - Tivo, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone XL, Mobile
Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all

The PS3 can only plug into a modem with a ethernet slot. If your modem only has a USB connection you will need a router as well.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 14:18   #4
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
The PS3 can only plug into a modem with a ethernet slot. If your modem only has a USB connection you will need a router as well.
Cheers for puting me straight on that pal, what about one of those connectors that you plug the USB into and its got a ethernet connection on the other end, would that work. Sorry about the way Iv explained that mate
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 00:47   #5
benweightman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
So how will i go about that, even with a router the modem needs to connected to the router via an ethernet cable right? and then from that into the PS3 and PC

Also, i have a ethernet cable slot in my PC where the modem should plug into if it wasn't a USB one and i've tried that all i got was an IP error when i try and plug it into that and the PS3 doesn't reconise it

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 23:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstamper View Post
Cheers for puting me straight on that pal, what about one of those connectors that you plug the USB into and its got a ethernet connection on the other end, would that work. Sorry about the way Iv explained that mate
Do those exsist? Where do you buy them?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:16   #6
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-ETHERNET...d_sbs_ce_img_1

Plenty around just search to USB to Ethernet adapter.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 22:05   #7
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
So how will i go about that, even with a router the modem needs to connected to the router via an ethernet cable right? and then from that into the PS3 and PC
Sounds from your earlier post that you have ADSL (phoneline broadband).

You would need to get a router with a built-in ADSL modem, & use that in place of your current USB modem.

The phoneline would connect to the router-modem, and the PS3 & PC would each connect to the router-modem using ethernet (or wireless if the router has it).

e.g.

Netgear DG834G ADSL2+ modem / wireless router / switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by benweightman
Also, i have a ethernet cable slot in my PC where the modem should plug into if it wasn't a USB one and i've tried that all i got was an IP error when i try and plug it into that and the PS3 doesn't reconise it

If you connect the PS3 via the PC, the PC needs to have Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) configured & enabled.

You'd then have:

phoneline > modem

modem > PC via USB

PC > PS3 via ethernet

And the PC would have to be on whenever you wanted to use the PS3 online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benweightman
I don't think it would work in your case.

They are more for turning a PC's USB port into an ethernet port.

I don't think it would work using it to turn an ADSL modem's USB port into an ethernet port.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 22:11   #8
benweightman
Inactive

Ok any suggetions on good routers?
Old 19-04-2008, 15:51   #9
tomo901
Inactive

tomo901 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone know of a way to hook up a mobile broadband usb stick to a ps3??

Just had an idea, no idea if it would work or not though.

Cheers
tomo901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 16:13   #10
Cerberus
Permanently Banned

Cerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Ok any suggetions on good routers?
Any Linksys or Netgear router would suit. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo901 View Post
Anyone know of a way to hook up a mobile broadband usb stick to a ps3??

Just had an idea, no idea if it would work or not though.

Cheers
Would that not just be a case of hooking it up via the PS3's USB port and setting up via the Internet Settings option in the PS3's XMB? Try that.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 16:19   #11
MacmillaN
cf.addict

Services: TIVO 500GB-V+ HD, TV Size XL +SKYSPORTS/MOVIES VIVID Phone Size M
MacmillaN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I am having problems connecting the PS3 to the router,

I have a WGR614-6VGUKS - the same one supplied by Virgin Media...

The router is working fine with my PC.

If someone could give me a brief rundown on it, it would be helpful, i am slightly lost...
MacmillaN is offline   Reply With Quote