Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

The iPhone thread

Old 13-09-2007, 13:58   #1
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
The iPhone thread

Apple are holding another event next tuesday. In the Apple store in London. Since it's taking place in the UK it is likely to be UK-Only information. The only thing it could really be is the iPhone.

So it looks like we'll have UK information, including carrier (hopefully O2), and price next week.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2007, 14:04   #2
xspeedyx

Re: iPhone UK Release info

sweet
Old 13-09-2007, 14:06   #3
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Which links up nicely with the fact the iPhone has been completely unlocked via software, so it isn't tied to a carrier or Apple-approved software
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 14:40   #4
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Sweet, Was just about to go upgrade my phone as I'd been delaying it waiting for the iphone and got bored. I'll wait and see what this is all about. Hopefully the press call to the bbc offices in London last week to watch the US launch of the new ipods also included them being issued with review units of a UK iphone.

Just spotted this on Gizmodo's US site
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmodo
Apple UK is holding a press event next tuesday at their Regent St. headquarters. "Mum is no longer the word" they say in the invite, so I guess now we can talk about O2's iPhone deal in the open
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 14:40   #5
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Which links up nicely with the fact the iPhone has been completely unlocked via software, so it isn't tied to a carrier or Apple-approved software
Unlocked ? Is that by Apple or are you talking about modding it ? Link please
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 15:47   #6
handyman
Permanently Banned

handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star

Iphone unlock
Old 13-09-2007, 15:54   #7
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Here's the link I was going off of: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/09...ed_w_software/

But looks very similar to HM's. There's going to be a free, GUI app to completely unlock the iPhone soon, or you can unlock it for free, using software now.

Divx on iPhone, also possibly FreeBSD apps, makes the iPhone seem a whole lot more attractive.
Old 13-09-2007, 16:04   #8
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Hmm, im not so sure about the iPhone, looks like a lot of hype for a unit that is functionally retarded.

Looks cool though, i think that's more its selling point.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 16:13   #9
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Here's the link I was going off of: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/09...ed_w_software/

But looks very similar to HM's. There's going to be a free, GUI app to completely unlock the iPhone soon, or you can unlock it for free, using software now.

Divx on iPhone, also possibly FreeBSD apps, makes the iPhone seem a whole lot more attractive.
Indeed, Have to wonder why Apple dont go all out and make it more like a PDA while opening up the iPhone for developers.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 16:27   #10
punky
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Indeed, Have to wonder why Apple dont go all out and make it more like a PDA while opening up the iPhone for developers.
Because it goes against Steve Job's ethos and his vision for IT.

Its not about making it a PDA per se, its about making the device consistent with fair use. You pay a lot of money for it, why shouldn't you be able to watch Divx movies on it, just Apple have produced Quicktime? Why be stuck with just stock quotes and weather forecasts and javascript applications?

And now developers have riled against Jobs on this: http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/0...pers_lock_out/

You can't rely on Apple producing every bit of software that users will need (say like a wifi sniffer) and with Apple keeping rigid control on kernel-mode apps, its extremely anti-competitive and anti-consumer. Put it this way, would Apple produce a wifi sniffer plugin, when that would discourage GPRS use and anger AT&T?
Old 13-09-2007, 16:47   #11
handyman
Permanently Banned

Just had a loose confirmation from O2 that it should be free on £50+ tarrifs. They are not taking pre orders and are unable to confirm exact pricing. (I should not that they are also unable to confirm if O2 actually have it).

They did say that O2 did pander to Apple when they put the bid in (and it was a very strong bid) and they will be splitting the tarrif charge.
Old 13-09-2007, 16:49   #12
punky
Inactive

I hope O2 follow AT&T and offer decent Internet rates than the ones they are offering at the moment.

Having said they, if they do, i'd probably get the Orbit... As its flexible and I won't need to have a running battle with Steve Jobs's ego in a PSP vs homebrew style battle where Apple keep trying to block unlocking/homebrew attempts.
Old 13-09-2007, 17:05   #13
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I hope O2 follow AT&T and offer decent Internet rates than the ones they are offering at the moment.

Having said they, if they do, i'd probably get the Orbit... As its flexible and I won't need to have a running battle with Steve Jobs's ego in a PSP vs homebrew style battle where Apple keep trying to block unlocking/homebrew attempts.
The internet access is going to be the deciding factor on whether I upgrade at all. I'll be getting a company phone very soon so might switch from O2 phone to Vodafone's data card................ we'll see

Thanks for the links all
Old 14-09-2007, 01:21   #14
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

O2's data prices are awful. Doubt they'd change them for the iPhone.

Re. the unlock -

As mentioned by Gavin, beware new firmware...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/beware/th...igh-299224.php

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/shoptalk/...pps-298989.php

I'm just gonna get an N95 I think...
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007, 18:26   #15
bopdude
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
O2's data prices are awful. Doubt they'd change them for the iPhone.

Re. the unlock -

As mentioned by Gavin, beware new firmware...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/beware/th...igh-299224.php

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/shoptalk/...pps-298989.php

I'm just gonna get an N95 I think...
I've been looking at the N95, nice looking PDA, thing is, I've been spoilt IMHO, I've had the XDA range through to the EXEC, haven't got that anymore but still have 2 XDA II 's, what do I upgrade too It's going to have to be all singing, all dancing, more so than what I have already or what's the point ? I'll just be tying myself to another 12 - 18 month contract phone that does what mine do already The 1st of October is now D-Day ( do or don't day )