Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V6 Superhub Location Ethernet or Wifi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

V6 Superhub Location Ethernet or Wifi

Old 07-12-2016, 09:37   #1
peterbu
Inactive

peterbu is an unknown quantity at this point
V6 Superhub Location Ethernet or Wifi

Hi Guys,

I have 2 x V6's on order (64.95) and have been told that my superhub must be located next to the main V6. I currently have an Ethernet cable running from my hub to my tivo, I asked the question can I stick with this setup and I have been told no, they will have to move the superhub when they install the V6's

This is going to cause me some issues etc, does anyone have a definitive answer on this as there seems to be some confusion out there.
peterbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2016, 09:44   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: V6 Superhub Location Ethernet or Wifi

As long as it's a decent quality Ethernet cable, it should be fine. Just discuss it with the installer on the day.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:08   #3
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road

I have just ordered my V6 and they asked whether the engineer will need more time to move the Superhub. I explained I already have Cat6 running to behind the TV where my Xbox, TV, SONOS Boost etc is connected and they said that would be fine.

I can't see any reason why it would not work

Last edited by david_w2k; 07-12-2016 at 10:11.
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:52   #4
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

I get the impression that Virgin Media are being overcautious about the Internet connection of V6.
Mine has worked perfectly well on both wifi and powerline. I've never connected it directly with Ethernet cable - it's just not convenient.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:14   #5
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I get the impression that Virgin Media are being overcautious about the Internet connection of V6.
Mine has worked perfectly well on both wifi and powerline. I've never connected it directly with Ethernet cable - it's just not convenient.
Yeah it just needs a reliable Internet connection.
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 13:11   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
It's being appropriate upfront about which gives the most reliable connection.

After that it's then the customer's choice if they want to do any of the alternate options.
Old 07-12-2016, 13:39   #7
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbu View Post
Hi Guys,

I have 2 x V6's on order (64.95) and have been told that my superhub must be located next to the main V6. I currently have an Ethernet cable running from my hub to my tivo, I asked the question can I stick with this setup and I have been told no, they will have to move the superhub when they install the V6's

This is going to cause me some issues etc, does anyone have a definitive answer on this as there seems to be some confusion out there.
So if the person giving you the information was convinced the superhub needed to be next to your "main" V6 they are also accepting that your "secondary" V6 won't work properly?

To be honest though I used to be very wary of Wifi for video streaming but technology has improved. I get really good coverage around my house, admittedly with my own router but even then it's about 5 years old now. Only my wife's old Transformer Prime has trouble getting a signal in the deepest darkest areas of our house (through several stone build lat 19 century walls), even my Raspberry Pis with their £5 usb dongles get pretty much full coverage throughout the house

Surely VM can't be that worried about the Wifi performance of their newest box.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 13:44   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
Surely VM can't be that worried about the Wifi performance of their newest box.
Virgin aren't saying that it won't work on WiFi, they are stating their preferred connection order. And not having it next to the Hub shouldn't block and install, but no way of doing a net connection will

The problem with WiFi is that it's very dependent on the property and location as well as the kit itself.
Old 07-12-2016, 14:27   #9
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The problem with WiFi is that it's very dependent on the property and location as well as the kit itself.
To be honest many would state that same comment about their VM broadband connection....and VM are in control, in most situations, of the kit, that can't be an unknown to them.

We can only assume that with a non-wireless connection being the preferred option that a built in cable modem was not included for cost reasons either too expensive to include the component or just cheaper to use the unit already being used in other countries.
Old 07-12-2016, 15:06   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

VM are part of Liberty Global and will use the same kit as other divisions of LG as part of an aligned kit plan.

The same happened when ntl and Telewest merged. Before the merger each had their own variants of DTV and BB kit. When the combined group launched, then there was again an aligned kit plan.

There is no commercial value is buying in completely different hardware if there is no need to do so.

Last edited by BenMcr; 07-12-2016 at 15:09.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 15:31   #11
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
To be honest many would state that same comment about their VM broadband connection....and VM are in control, in most situations, of the kit, that can't be an unknown to them.

We can only assume that with a non-wireless connection being the preferred option that a built in cable modem was not included for cost reasons either too expensive to include the component or just cheaper to use the unit already being used in other countries.

I don't think it's unreasonable for VM to state the best option.

Hopefully, the installer will be clued up enough to asses the situation and if there is Ethernet near the V6 install point, be sensible enough to use that. If it's wifi, discuss the pros and cons. Maybe even try the wifi but explain that wifi could be unreliable.

Many people seem to use wifi exclusively now, and for them, moving the router shouldn't be a big issue. For us Ethernet purists, with lots of kit in more than one room, moving a router is a big deal.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 16:02   #12
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

The installer will try and do whatever the easiest option is
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 16:17   #13
mike_gain
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I don't think it's unreasonable for VM to state the best option.

Hopefully, the installer will be clued up enough to asses the situation and if there is Ethernet near the V6 install point, be sensible enough to use that. If it's wifi, discuss the pros and cons. Maybe even try the wifi but explain that wifi could be unreliable.

Many people seem to use wifi exclusively now, and for them, moving the router shouldn't be a big issue. For us Ethernet purists, with lots of kit in more than one room, moving a router is a big deal.
But moving the router for the OP is not the best option. They are having 2 V6s installed....are they to just accept that one might not be able to be installed? There's only one router, it can't be beside both.

Also if there is a requirement to move a router what about the rest of the hardware in the house? Are the VM engineers being trained on how to optimise a wifi network before starting to shift gear around, no use just being clued up there needs to be standard level of training surely.

I'm not wanting to make too much of this it just seems the door is being left open for VM staff to give bad advice with the end result being a poor customer experience. Wifi has come on in leaps and bounds and, security apart, there's not many reasons not to opt for wifi now....unless your environment isn't suitable, but even in that situation shifting your router isn't really a solution without analysis. No point having one V6 working but now you can't get a signal on your phone when in bed and your now box in the kitchen can't connect.

---------- Post added at 16:17 ---------- Previous post was at 16:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
The installer will try and do whatever the easiest option is
By easiest you probably mean quickest....I've never had a bad experience from any VM engineer but they always seem to be totally rushed off their feet.
Old 07-12-2016, 16:21   #14
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

There is alot of panic here, not sure why,

1st option = Wired
2nd option Wifi
Worst case scenario = Homeplugs
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 16:26   #15
mike_gain
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
There is alot of panic here, not sure why,

1st option = Wired
2nd option Wifi
Worst case scenario = Homeplugs
Not panic, just the suggestion from VM staff that moving a router to achieve wired is the best option. Totally get that stating a wired connection is preferred but that's a long way from suggesting moving a router without any knowledge of the situation.