Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Tivo software update apparently

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New Tivo software update apparently

Old 28-11-2016, 13:19   #31
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: New Tivo software update apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
It doesn't instill confidence that the same core software is also what the V6 will be running.

Hopefully it is the underpowered processor (5 years + old?) that is causing the problem, and an up-to-date processor that the V6 presumably has will be fine with the same software.

Forum feedback on here, from those with the V6, so far, suggests that is the case.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-11-2016, 13:41   #32
dodgem22
cf.addict

Services: virgin tv phone and broadband giff gaff mobile
dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them

still waiting for the update here in Staffordshire
dodgem22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 14:01   #33
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgem22 View Post
still waiting for the update here in Staffordshire
And here as well.
Old 28-11-2016, 15:05   #34
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Hopefully it is the underpowered processor (5 years + old?) that is causing the problem, and an up-to-date processor that the V6 presumably has will be fine with the same software.

Forum feedback on here, from those with the V6, so far, suggests that is the case.
I'm not convinced by the "under-powered processor" argument.

The "Play Recording" operation worked perfectly fine 5 years ago and there's bog all CPU processing to be done during this. Similarly the "exit menu to TV" operation used to be fine too.

The apps such as Netflix and the iPlayer are an area where perhaps the hardware probably is not quite up to it but it could equally just be poorly written software on top of a poor platform and even then it's generally just the load times I find to be sluggish. Genuinely not sure what's to blame here.

However I'd still like to know what software updates have there been where features have been added that would cause the play operation to slow down? Is the "play" operation doing so much more than it was 5 years ago?

If it's a memory issue then the question needs to be asked....how long before the V6's memory gets filled up by whatever is filling up the current boxes? Upgraded hardware will always make poor software appear to be "fixed" but it's only temporary.

I'd not be saying this is during one software update it had been announced that we now had access to the "New Advanced Play Option" or the "Exit Menu +" or even if there had been sweeping changes to the platform as almost every advance in software functionality has a cost in resources. Instead we've got Series Link+ which while being a valuable feature seems to be at the cost of everything else and isn't exactly one of a raft of major changes....it's pretty much the only major change (if we don't count the pictures in On Demand)

It's all to easy to point to the hardware being 5 years old, it's a cop out to cover up a really dodgy software platform, I'd give the V6 a year before it slows down or until the next update....which ever comes first.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 23:33   #35
MisterQ

Anyone else find the lip-sync problem even worse. Used to be quite random whether a recording would be un-watchable or not but the last couple of weeks (perhaps since the latest update) every single HD recording has the audio significantly ahead of the video. The usual VM "solutions" of turning PCM on/off or not using external equipment makes no difference.

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
Anyone else find the lip-sync problem even worse. Used to be quite random whether a recording would be un-watchable or not but the last couple of weeks (perhaps since the latest update) every single HD recording has the audio significantly ahead of the video. The usual VM "solutions" of turning PCM on/off or not using external equipment makes no difference.
It is not just HD, just scanned through about 50 channels, every single channel is out (tested with audio on the TV via HDMI) as are recent recordings. Gone back to recordings before v...24 and the SD recordings are ok but not since.

Have lost audio completely too, a few times but only since v...24.

Only just rebooted too, to see if the post update performance was back .... sadly not.
Old 29-11-2016, 08:08   #36
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Update received in Belfast and all seems faster - no other issues to report.
Old 29-11-2016, 09:10   #37
cj136uk
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media, TiVo/XL TV, XXL Internet, M Phone.
cj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

It is not just HD, just scanned through about 50 channels, every single channel is out (tested with audio on the TV via HDMI) as are recent recordings. Gone back to recordings before v...24 and the SD recordings are ok but not since.

Have lost audio completely too, a few times but only since v...24.

Only just rebooted too, to see if the post update performance was back .... sadly not.
yes same here. had update in Edinburgh. getting slow on new 1TB and 500GB boxes.
cj136uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 20:40   #38
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Have to say they finally seem to have got it right with Tivo. Bad news for the V6.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:33   #39
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Have to say they finally seem to have got it right with Tivo. Bad news for the V6.
Nice to see your pessimism knows no ends Mr K.
Old 01-12-2016, 21:51   #40
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Nice to see your pessimism knows no ends Mr K.
I endeavour to maintain a certain continuity Den Nice festive avatar btw, if only I liked Christmas ..........
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:12   #41
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I endeavour to maintain a certain continuity Den Nice festive avatar btw, if only I liked Christmas ..........
Don't worry there is still time to save you from your damnation yet Mr K.
Old 05-12-2016, 17:09   #42
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

This was posted yesterday (Sunday 4th December) on Virgin Media's Facebook page in answer to yet another complaint about the TiVo speed problem -

Quote:
We are releasing an update by the end of next week for the TiVo® boxes, and this should fix the speed issues.
Could it be that another software update is imminent?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 17:16   #43
denphone
Still alive and fighting

l had my update last night and although mine was nowhere near as bad as others in speed it is absolutely whizzing along now
Old 05-12-2016, 17:22   #44
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
This was posted yesterday (Sunday 4th December) on Virgin Media's Facebook page in answer to yet another complaint about the TiVo speed problem -

Could it be that another software update is imminent?
I doubt it, they normally stagger the update over several weeks so engineers can replace all the boxes that broken by the update. Releasing an update a couple of weeks before Christmas would surely be very silly.

The last update was initially quick for me but after 2 or 3 weeks is back to spinning circles and blank screens for 25 seconds. Obviously loading apps still takes 2 or 3 minutes.
Old 06-12-2016, 18:55   #45
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Aside from the box rebooting itself on two occasions a week into having the update I've seen nothing wrong with it. In fact I'm amazed how zippy the menus still are. There are a few moments when I think "oh.. here we go..." but these prove to be rare exceptions.

In fact I swear it's the most consistent the box has been since we've had Tivo (2 years I think, we had the red colour scheme when we started). When they did the update that added Series Link + for the first time the speed would drip of slowly for a few days and then plunge on the 6th/7th so I'd reboot it. Prior to that update I'd reboot it maybe once a month.

This current software, for me, has not even shown the speed drops that the pre-SeriesLink+ software was doing. As such I feel at this stage that I might not need to give it a monthy reboot.

I appreciate not everyone is having this. I hope I'm one of the many not of the few though.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote