Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are these charges for please?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Pulse dialing query

Old 31-05-2007, 12:46   #1
katylou
Inactive

katylou is an unknown quantity at this point
Pulse dialing query

Does nayone know whether Virgin Media support pulse dialing any more? The reason I ask is that I really want to buy a retro Rotary Dial telephone, that has been re-worked for modern use. The suppliers all state that the phones are compatable with BT lines and most cable suppliers that support Pulse or Rotary Dialing. I have a Virgin Media landline on the talk unlimited package. Ive looked on the virgin media site, but no joy. Dont suppose anyone on here might know?
katylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-05-2007, 13:29   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Pulse dialing query

I have no idea but someone should you could try calling tech sup ?
Old 31-05-2007, 13:45   #3
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by katylou View Post
Does nayone know whether Virgin Media support pulse dialing any more? The reason I ask is that I really want to buy a retro Rotary Dial telephone, that has been re-worked for modern use. The suppliers all state that the phones are compatable with BT lines and most cable suppliers that support Pulse or Rotary Dialing. I have a Virgin Media landline on the talk unlimited package. Ive looked on the virgin media site, but no joy. Dont suppose anyone on here might know?
you can use either tone or pulse in ex-C & W areas,i know this as ive been to 2 faults where sub complaining of noise on line when dialling!!!! tone being the 1 that crackles every No you dial.
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 15:45   #4
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

yes you can use pulse or tbr in ex ntl[most modern phones have a switch on underside of phone with tbr-p so you can set it yourself]
Old 01-03-2009, 20:27   #5
telephonesales
Inactive

telephonesales is an unknown quantity at this point

I run a site selling old dial telephones at and would love to be able to find out from a postcode or telephone number if a customer can use pulse dialling. I would say that the vast majority of virgin media customers can still use pulse dialling (rotery dial) but my hart sinks when they say they are virgin media because I have no way of finding out myslf and after the customer has spent a couple of hours talking to people that have no idea what they are talking about or just say no to get rid of them I simply loose a sale. Many switch back to BT because I can tell them it works for sure. Please if anyone can tell me if how to get this info easily it will help both virgin media amd me.
telephonesales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 21:53   #6
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by telephonesales View Post
I run a site selling old dial telephones at and would love to be able to find out from a postcode or telephone number if a customer can use pulse dialling. I would say that the vast majority of virgin media customers can still use pulse dialling (rotery dial) but my hart sinks when they say they are virgin media because I have no way of finding out myslf and after the customer has spent a couple of hours talking to people that have no idea what they are talking about or just say no to get rid of them I simply loose a sale. Many switch back to BT because I can tell them it works for sure. Please if anyone can tell me if how to get this info easily it will help both virgin media amd me.
You need to look at stocking a device like this http://www.oldphoneworks.com/pulse-t...converter.html
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 20:36   #7
Mr_Moo
Inactive

Mr_Moo is on a distinguished roadMr_Moo is on a distinguished road

I found this with a quick google search (ironic how google chrome doesn't recognise 'google' as a correctly spelt word...) Anyway,

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s....php?p=8794533
Mr_Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 20:39   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

All VM exchanges should support pulse dialling - they use the same technology as BT.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 20:42   #9
Mr_Moo
Inactive

And these technologies have been around for decades, long before 'digitone' was around.
Old 03-03-2009, 21:22   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Pretty much - I was installing the digital exchanges BT use 20 years ago.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 15:23   #11
Mr_Moo
Inactive

I can confirm you CAN use pulse dialling phones on the VIRGIN/C&W/NTL/TELEWEST network. We tested one yesterday just to be 100% sure.

You can stop sending all our comanys business to the rivals now
Old 24-08-2009, 11:54   #12
EliotL
Inactive

EliotL is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried tapping with your existing phone?
This mimics pulse dialing, you just have to quickly tap the button on your phone that you use to hang up, tap once for 1, twice very quickly for 2, thrice for 3 and 10 for 0 etc... like you could try ringing the speaking clock on 123 by tapping to check if you have pulse dialing support!
I wouldn't try actually ringing someone like that as it takes ages and you have to try and tap 10 pulses per second!
EliotL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 01:23   #13
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Of course that doesn't work if you have a cordless phone
Old 25-08-2009, 01:24   #14
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Might be worth checking this site out.
Old 27-08-2009, 00:26   #15
scooby-doo
Inactive

scooby-doo is an unknown quantity at this point

you can use pulse mode on virgin media network, but when you try to use these multi options menus e.g press 1 for faults press 2 for billing . etc... you may find that the network doesn't recognise the input. sometimes it works sometimes not.

trust me been there and done it. as soon as you change to tone dialing problem solved.
scooby-doo is offline   Reply With Quote